Photo

How to change back to windows 7 or 8, 8.1 from windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hacker Jack

Hacker Jack

Hired Assassin

• 532 posts
  • Location:That little place in my head the Dr. told me to stay away from...
  • Covers:1602

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:37 AM

Open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install. 

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Mostly, I like anything that goes bang when I pull the trigger.
  • Covers:568

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:36 AM

Yes, but as I recall, you have only 30 days after upgrade to do this. After that, the original files, saved for this purpose during upgrade, are permanently deleted, automatically.

So, if anyone is contemplating this, they need to know there is a relatively short window of opportunity.

Win10 creates a Windows.old directory, in the root, during upgrade. After 30 days, virtually the entire contents of that directory are deleted. At that point, rollback is no longer possible.

As with any major system change, one should make a system image & recovery disc (If you don't already have one) before starting the upgrade. This ensures you can return your system to the condition it had before the upgrade.

I just look at the pictures.

#3 Hacker Jack

Hacker Jack

Hired Assassin

• 532 posts
  • Location:That little place in my head the Dr. told me to stay away from...
  • Covers:1602

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:12 PM

In that scenario the options to roll back will not be present.  I may have jumped the gun a bit with my original post by not differentiating between those who chose to upgrade to Windows 10 and those who have recently been tricked by Microsoft and upgraded automatically in recent days.  But Fogdude makes a valid point and one should check for your old system files before attempting the roll back. 

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Murphy041270

Murphy041270

Super MOD

• Elite Member
  • 7,531 posts
  • Interests:Football and Reading books
  • Covers:34

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:13 AM

Open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install.

I'll did that, Didn't like windows 10 so i'll went back to windows 7 again

#5 honeymooners

honeymooners

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Film Collecting, painting, photoshop.
  • Covers:675

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:12 AM

I tried Windows 10, hated it. I did what was told to do to recover Windows 7, now my Windows 7 does not seem to operate properly. It's almost as if the two programs are conflicting with each other, although Windows 10 is supposed to have been eliminated from my computer. I have a suspicion that some of the windows 10 program is still hanging around trying to do whatever it's supposed to do. I guess it's time to go to my computer tech guy to wipe the entire program from my system. Remember, nothing is ever free, there's always a price to pay somewhere.

#6 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:27 AM

I tried Windows 10, hated it. I did what was told to do to recover Windows 7, now my Windows 7 does not seem to operate properly. It's almost as if the two programs are conflicting with each other, although Windows 10 is supposed to have been eliminated from my computer. I have a suspicion that some of the windows 10 program is still hanging around trying to do whatever it's supposed to do. I guess it's time to go to my computer tech guy to wipe the entire program from my system. Remember, nothing is ever free, there's always a price to pay somewhere.

I have to agree. I don't believe, once in, MicroSoft ever lets go. They may roll it back to all appearances, but I can't believe they don't leave all the telemetry tracking & reporting behind. They desperately want to collect your activity data & one way or another, once you've opened the door, I seriously doubt they'll just drop it all because you asked nicely. I'm not about to risk any of my primary machines on a rollback test & I don't have the time or equipment to do one on a temporary machine. It would be really interesting to see what the services map looks like before & after. Fact is, one way or another, we're all going to take a bite of that big sh-t sandwich MicroSoft calls Windows 10. They control the industry & unless you can move to Linux, you're stuck. You may get by for a few more years, but you will upgrade. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Better to just take it now & learn to control it as best you can.

#7 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:06 PM

One other aspect of rollback to consider: If you're still within the 30 day window of an in-place upgrade & you can locate the temporary (hidden) rollback files & rename them (adding a prefix is simplest) you can roll back any time, even after the 30 days by simply renaming the files back to their originals & going through the rollback process. Windows can't delete them at the 30 day point if you rename them. The files are: Windows.old, $Windows.~BT & $Windows.~WS. Of course, you'll have to enable hidden files in your file explorer view before you can see these. If these files are already gone, you no longer have the option to roll back your system, short of a reinstall or restore from image.