Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

Will keep this in mind when upping.

#43 e5erard

e5erard

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

I did not intend or give permission to continue as a member. Kindly refund my money for renewal and cancel my membership. Dennis Mann

#44 Moljude1

Moljude1

Rookie

• 18 posts
  • Interests:pets music films travel,
  • Covers:16

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

what is that for?

#45 ImHungry

ImHungry

Rookie

• 10 posts
  • Covers:31

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

I agree that labels are round, however, it does help to align them for printing if the label is square. Most DVD printer label templates handle square labels nicely, and in my experience at least, better than round ones - there is more margin for error and alignment with the square label. I, for one, prefer and now look for square labels to print on my printable DVDs or paper templates - otherwise I make my own label (I use "Sure Thing" label maker for my templates and printable DVDs). Just a thought.

I agree, couldn't have said it better myself.

2. The background of a CD label is never printed, its automatically cropped as soon as you load it into your printer software.

I say allow the squared CD label uploads.

Yes, that too.

I know I'm a new uploader here and I don't mean to overstep my boundaries, but I always save my disc art as a square so I don't have to fiddle around with alignment when I print.  I think this rule should be given some second thought.

#46 sdglovers

sdglovers

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:49 AM

i can't get this site to work or download any covers to download!  please help!  is there a manual or anything to see how to use?

thank you

sdglovers@bellsouth.net

#47 meddi

meddi

elite member

• Elite Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:creating custom dvd covers.
  • Covers:1245

• Rank (last 60 days):
    22nd in DVD Movie
    54th in TV Series

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

downloads are working fine

if you don`t leave,you will never come back again

#48 muzickman

muzickman

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

I had my account automatically upgraded to download covers.  All of a sudden I can't download uncompressed covers.  Says to upgrade.  Can somebody please explain.

#49 Murphy041270

Murphy041270

Super MOD

• Elite Member
  • 7,531 posts
  • Interests:Football and Reading books
  • Covers:34

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:44 PM

I had my account automatically upgraded to download covers.  All of a sudden I can't download uncompressed covers.  Says to upgrade.  Can somebody please explain.

At the moment the Admins are very busy, So they will come online soon when they are not that busy sorry

#50 muzickman

muzickman

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:03 PM

At the moment the Admins are very busy, So they will come online soon when they are not that busy sorry

How long is this going to take?

#51 Murphy041270

Murphy041270

Super MOD

• Elite Member
  • 7,531 posts
  • Interests:Football and Reading books
  • Covers:34

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:30 PM

How long is this going to take?

I'll don't know how long it will take sorry

#52 muzickman

muzickman

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

I'll don't know how long it will take sorry

It's been over a week and no answer yet? Getting really pissed off at this site.

#53 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Mostly, I like anything that goes bang when I pull the trigger.
  • Covers:568

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:25 PM

TO ALL FreeCovers Uploaders:

The staff is currently reworking our Uploading Rules and they WILL affect ALL the uploaders. We will be introducing new size requirements and really cracking down on current rules - as we have been slacking.

The NEW MINIMUM ALLOWABLE size for ALL uploads WILL be 200dpi - but the standard we would like to see is 300dpi. There is really NO reason for any uploads to be over 300pdi.

For ALL standard Clamshell cases for DVD Movies, Music DVD, Anime, HD (if we get any more), TV Series, GameCube, PC Apps & Games, PS1, PS2, XBox & XBox360:
200dpi - 2160 x 1450
300dpi - 3240 x 2175

For Blu-Ray:
200dpi - 2075 x 1160
300dpi - 3115 x 1745

For PS3:
200dpi - 2145 x 1170
300dpi - 3220 x 1760

PSP (Playstation Portable):
200dpi - 1645 x 1320
300dpi - 2470 x 1980

Nintendo Wii:
200dpi - 2150 x 1435
300dpi - 3225 x 2155

NintendoDS:
200dpi - 2140 x 910
300dpi - 3210 x 1370

VHS:
200dpi - 2020 x 1560
300dpi - 3030 x 2340

All standard Jewel cases for Music CD, PC Apps & Games, Playstation and VCD - along with CD & DVD Labels:
200dpi - 840 x 840
300dpi - 1260 x 1260

The current rules that we have had for many years WILL be enforced to the fullest.

ALL covers WILL be presented in the landscape format - any covers uploaded in the portrait format will automatically be denied.

ALL covers will be straight - if the cover is crocked to a noticeable degree it will automatically be denied.

ALL spines must be flattened at flat as you can - ANY covers with noticeably creased spines will automatically be denied.

ALL covers must be closely and neatly cropped. If a cover is too under or overly cropped - they will automatically be denied.

ALL custom covers MUST be denoted as CUSTOM. ALSO note for CUSTOM labels - ALL CUSTOM DISC LABELS ARE TO BE ROUND - we will no longer accept a SQUARE label - as discs are round - this is not an unusual request.

ALL Non-English language covers NEED to be identified - if none of the staff can identify the language of the cover - it will be denied.

When titling any upload - PLEASE do not use ALL-CAPS. PLEASE use both Upper and lower case letters. For movie covers - PLEASE include the Title, Year, Language (ONLY when Non-English) and Region Code. It is the uploaders responsibility to correctly title their uploads to be site ready - not the staffs - we are spending way too time editing titles before we can approve the covers.

Uploaders need to keep a tab on their PMs (Personal Messages) - as if and when we have an issue with your uploads - we will PM you and explain the issue. If we have to PM an uploader 3 times for the SAME infraction - and they continue doing that same infraction - their incorrect uploads will automatically be denied.

We do allow tagging covers here - but PLEASE keep the tags small, unobtrusive to the cover design and kept to the backs of the covers. NO large stickers, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, watermarks or the words 'copyright materials' are allowed on the fronts or backs of ANY covers. User names are OK but only on the backs - and they are to be kept small and unobtrusive. NO tags are allowed at all on the 'printable' portion of the CD or Disc labels - PLEASE keep the tag to the corners. If it gets to where we run into a problem with excessive tagging - then tagging will no longer be allowed on this site.

AS this is kinda a 'Heads Up' for ALL you uploaders - you might want to get started working with the new size allowable.

ANY and ALL suggestions from uploaders are appreciated - as we get closer to hammering out our new uploading rules.

Thank You
The FreeCovers Moderating Team smile.gif

I appreciate the rules & standards & though new to uploading, have tried to abide by them. I have made a few mistakes & corrected them. Still, I have uploaded 3 Disc lables in the past week that have not been approved or shown up in my list of uploads. No explanation was given, no PMs, nothing. On 2 of them, I checked them thoroughly & tried uploading them again, in case there had been other issues in transmission. Still nothing. If I am doing something wrong, it would be very helpful if I was told what it is so I can fix it.

Thanks

I just look at the pictures.

#54 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

Today, I uploaded 4 disc labels. One was approved, almost immediately. The remaining 3 disappeared from my pending list, so I'm assuming they were denied. I'm still trying to figure out why.

I have indeed made several uploading errors. For these I apologize & am very grateful for the help the mods have given in repairing some of them so they could be approved. It certainly was NOT my intent to cause anyone more work & I have tried to apply each lesson to all future uploads.

TITLES: I finally discovered that I was putting the titles in, as is usually done, with articles & conjunctions NOT capitalized, which, apparently, is unacceptable here. So, I uploaded some again, this time with every word in the title capitalized & sure enough, they were approved. This is not a published standard, but appears to be one that is being enforced. Look up any title on IMDB. They do NOT capitalize every word. This has never been the norm in literature, but I have no problem with it if that's simply the way you want it here. Telling us so would save ALL of us a lot of time & effort. Also, the standard doesn't explicitly state how we are to designate UNRATED, DIRECTOR'S CUT, SPECIAL EDITION, EXTENDED, etc. though it does stipulate how to designate WS, FS, region, etc.

CUSTOM: I've read the FAQ & can't find any other explanation of what this really means. I gleaned that it meant if the original disc label was scanned but otherwise unedited, it wasn't custom, but if it was embellished or enhanced, it was custom. I've been using custom on most of my disc labels because, in almost every instance, I do quite a bit of editing to keep the aspect ratio correct while not cropping out too much of the original art, which usually comes from the dust jacket, not the disc itself, or various other sources. Maybe I'm using the term incorrectly?

DUPLICATES: In some cases, I can find a dozen or more labels for the same disc uploaded here. That is a very good thing. Most use the same basic art, but have varying embellishments, also a good thing. One common technique I've seen people use for disc labels is to stretch the art to fit the round disc (in my opinion, a bad thing), rather than edit in the surrounding areas to fit. I take the time to do do the necessary editing, crude though it may sometimes be. I detest skewed aspect ratios & if I were writing the standard, would outlaw it. Yes, some of my disc labels use similar art to what others have, but mine are NEVER stretched horizontally.

I don't add embellishments like DVD logos, copyright notices or other symbols because it leaves the labels more flexible & the user can decide how they want to use them. I have no concerns about others using them as a base to make their own, with further editing. This is supposed to be a free site where users share their efforts for the benefit of all. I make these for my own use, when I can't find one I like enough to use. That's no criticism of what's out here. After putting in the effort to make them for myself, I figure, having taken from this site for years, it's reasonable to 'give back.' I'm not here to gain points, compete, try to show off or detract from anyone else. I like this place. It's provided me with many, many labels & covers I've been quite happy with, even when I was only getting the low-res versions, for free. I don't see how limiting the selection benefits anyone, especially if they're adhering to the published standards & aren't just horrific. I admit, I'm not a professional graphic artist, not even a middling one. Never will be. If that's what's required, I'll desist in my attempts to upload any more.

The three labels I uploaded that were apparently declined are:

Blackhat (2015) R0 CUSTOM

Among Friends (2014) R0 CUSTOM

Amusement (2008) R0 CUSTOM

I just don't see what was so egregiously bad about them that they weren't suitable for allowing others access to them. Unfortunately, there's no way to provide even thumbnails of them, here, to let the reader evaluate.

Regards,

#55 plumbersmateuk

plumbersmateuk

• Gold Member
  • 53 posts
  • Covers:1382

• Rank (last 60 days):
    27th in DVD Movie
    5th in TV Series

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

"TITLES: I finally discovered that I was putting the titles in, as is usually done, with articles & conjunctions NOT capitalized, which, apparently, is unacceptable here. So, I uploaded some again, this time with every word in the title capitalized & sure enough, they were approved. This is not a published standard, but appears to be one that is being enforced. Look up any title on IMDB. They do NOT capitalize every word. This has never been the norm in literature, but I have no problem with it if that's simply the way you want it here. Telling us so would save ALL of us a lot of time & effort. Also, the standard doesn't explicitly state how we are to designate UNRATED, DIRECTOR'S CUT, SPECIAL EDITION, EXTENDED, etc. though it does stipulate how to designate WS, FS, region, etc."

I thought this was reasonably self explanatory on the upload page?

Whilst titles may be duplicate I don't consider the actual images uploaded to be duplicates, as this gives a variety of quality and content.

As for embellishments....I love 'em. I try to make my contributions look like a genuine disc

A couple of examples are: http://www.freecover...b16d7e5/cd.html

http://www.freecover...0897b94/cd.html

I can't recall ever having an upload rejected, if that is correct perhaps I've been lucky, I've 'ad a few amended 'cause of the ":" not being in a series title and I have a problem with capitalising "custom" see there I go again I meant "CUSTOM"

Keep at it we're what makes this site great and where would covershut be without our great uploads........P

#56 eitltd

eitltd

Facilitator

• Gold Member
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Computer Art, Video, Photo Editing, Reading, Michigan and Patriot football
  • Covers:75

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:14 PM

The only problem I see with square, and I've run into it in the past, is that some people when they design their square DVD covers forget that the background is edited out. Then you have Titles and/or artwork cropped off. With round, this lessens the problem. However, far too many people still forget about the hole in the center when they design DVDs.

#57 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:24 PM

The only problem I see with square, and I've run into it in the past, is that some people when they design their square DVD covers forget that the background is edited out. Then you have Titles and/or artwork cropped off. With round, this lessens the problem. However, far too many people still forget about the hole in the center when they design DVDs.

I HATE holes in label art. I won't download any that have them. They should be illegal. They serve no purpose & if your printer isn't perfectly aligned, cause white areas around the center hole when printed. I guess maybe those especially sensitive to wasted ink may object to printing holes that never get used. I am not one of them. I can appreciate that those who print directly to the discs may prefer holes, but the vast majority of the world still print labels on paper. At least the people I know, who print disc labels at all, still do.

#58 eitltd

eitltd

Facilitator

• Gold Member
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Computer Art, Video, Photo Editing, Reading, Michigan and Patriot football
  • Covers:75

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:11 PM

I agree with you, I hate the holes also. However, sometimes people have text or an essential part of the artwork where the hole will be. I make sure there is just background on any I upload. The Taiyo Yunden discs with the matte finish are really easy to print on, much easier than stick on labels. I haven't used the stick-ons for at least 10 years.

#59 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

I agree with you, I hate the holes also. However, sometimes people have text or an essential part of the artwork where the hole will be. I make sure there is just background on any I upload. The Taiyo Yunden discs with the matte finish are really easy to print on, much easier than stick on labels. I haven't used the stick-ons for at least 10 years.

Most of the people I know, including myself, still use standard paper printers, not flat path that can handle CDs. Paper labels are fine if you know how to apply them. They work on silver or matte. And yes, Taiyo-Yuden is the only way to go.

#60 Waseem Cheemoo

Waseem Cheemoo

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Interests:Computer , Gaming , Adobe Photoshop
  • Covers:56

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:24 AM

Thes are all Standard I Think!!!

Waseem Cheemoo