33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

TO ALL FreeCovers Uploaders:

The staff is currently reworking our Uploading Rules and they WILL affect ALL the uploaders. We will be introducing new size requirements and really cracking down on current rules - as we have been slacking.

The NEW MINIMUM ALLOWABLE size for ALL uploads WILL be 200dpi - but the standard we would like to see is 300dpi. There is really NO reason for any uploads to be over 300pdi.

For ALL standard Clamshell cases for DVD Movies, Music DVD, Anime, HD (if we get any more), TV Series, GameCube, PC Apps & Games, PS1, PS2, XBox & XBox360:
200dpi - 2160 x 1450
300dpi - 3240 x 2175

For Blu-Ray:
200dpi - 2075 x 1160
300dpi - 3115 x 1745

For PS3:
200dpi - 2145 x 1170
300dpi - 3220 x 1760

PSP (Playstation Portable):
200dpi - 1645 x 1320
300dpi - 2470 x 1980

Nintendo Wii:
200dpi - 2150 x 1435
300dpi - 3225 x 2155

NintendoDS:
200dpi - 2140 x 910
300dpi - 3210 x 1370

VHS:
200dpi - 2020 x 1560
300dpi - 3030 x 2340

All standard Jewel cases for Music CD, PC Apps & Games, Playstation and VCD - along with CD & DVD Labels:
200dpi - 840 x 840
300dpi - 1260 x 1260

The current rules that we have had for many years WILL be enforced to the fullest.

ALL covers WILL be presented in the landscape format - any covers uploaded in the portrait format will automatically be denied.

ALL covers will be straight - if the cover is crocked to a noticeable degree it will automatically be denied.

ALL spines must be flattened at flat as you can - ANY covers with noticeably creased spines will automatically be denied.

ALL covers must be closely and neatly cropped. If a cover is too under or overly cropped - they will automatically be denied.

ALL custom covers MUST be denoted as CUSTOM. ALSO note for CUSTOM labels - ALL CUSTOM DISC LABELS ARE TO BE ROUND - we will no longer accept a SQUARE label - as discs are round - this is not an unusual request.

ALL Non-English language covers NEED to be identified - if none of the staff can identify the language of the cover - it will be denied.

When titling any upload - PLEASE do not use ALL-CAPS. PLEASE use both Upper and lower case letters. For movie covers - PLEASE include the Title, Year, Language (ONLY when Non-English) and Region Code. It is the uploaders responsibility to correctly title their uploads to be site ready - not the staffs - we are spending way too time editing titles before we can approve the covers.

Uploaders need to keep a tab on their PMs (Personal Messages) - as if and when we have an issue with your uploads - we will PM you and explain the issue. If we have to PM an uploader 3 times for the SAME infraction - and they continue doing that same infraction - their incorrect uploads will automatically be denied.

We do allow tagging covers here - but PLEASE keep the tags small, unobtrusive to the cover design and kept to the backs of the covers. NO large stickers, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, watermarks or the words 'copyright materials' are allowed on the fronts or backs of ANY covers. User names are OK but only on the backs - and they are to be kept small and unobtrusive. NO tags are allowed at all on the 'printable' portion of the CD or Disc labels - PLEASE keep the tag to the corners. If it gets to where we run into a problem with excessive tagging - then tagging will no longer be allowed on this site.

AS this is kinda a 'Heads Up' for ALL you uploaders - you might want to get started working with the new size allowable.

ANY and ALL suggestions from uploaders are appreciated - as we get closer to hammering out our new uploading rules.

Thank You
The FreeCovers Moderating Team :)

Edited by tweetybird, 19 June 2011 - 08:25 PM.
made a boo-boo

"Ain't I a wittle stinker?"

#2 matrixmichi

matrixmichi

Knowing "Himself"

• Elite Member
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Computer, Cooking, my Girlfriend and her short-hair-collie
  • Covers:5177

• Rank (last 60 days):
    6th in Blu-Ray Movie
    5th in DVD Movie
    65th in TV Series

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

Hello Tweety-Heart,

the new uploading rules are in general the old uploading rules for me.
I hope you will allow little differences at the pixel-numbers.

Greetings and good luck :thumbsup:
from Germany
Michael

#3 archef

archef

The Organizer

• Elite Member
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Cover designing, fishing, smooth jazz, reading
  • Covers:600

• Rank (last 60 days):
    88th in DVD Movie

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

I agree that labels are round, however, it does help to align them for printing if the label is square. Most DVD printer label templates handle square labels nicely, and in my experience at least, better than round ones - there is more margin for error and alignment with the square label. I, for one, prefer and now look for square labels to print on my printable DVDs or paper templates - otherwise I make my own label (I use "Sure Thing" label maker for my templates and printable DVDs). Just a thought.

I am glad to see the rest of the rules going into place - especially about the resolution since I grab a lot of covers and labels from this site.

#4 tweetybird

tweetybird

Barbie Girl MOD

• Elite Member
  • 6,292 posts
  • Interests:My Grandchildren
  • Covers:6834

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hello Tweety-Heart,

the new uploading rules are in general the old uploading rules for me.
I hope you will allow little differences at the pixel-numbers.

Greetings and good luck :thumbsup:
from Germany
Michael

We are still hashing over the pixel portion of the uploads - but many of us feel that a 300dpi covers should have at least 1MB in pixelation to be considered near quality. Usually anything under that is basically a high-quality cover downloaded at the 'compressed' level - losing a lot of its quality in the process. This will also be a way for us to 'weed out' more of the crap covers being uploaded.

Thank You Michael - We do appreciate your very nice High-Quality German covers that you have always given us here at FreeCovers. :clap: :) :clap: :)

#5 Covergal

Covergal

Advanced Member

• 365 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:23 AM

Nice one Tweety :) Maybe an idea to post a template in the forums and also see if any volunteers will provide help with members creating their own customs?

When doing a search for ie: a movie cover, there is not the option to search more than one category at a time.. an alternative would be to merge them, if we want bluray or hd or 3d it will show on the cover anyway, it would also show up the covers that are being re-upped by other people who have maybe just stuck an extra logo on it to pass off as their own work. It must also help the staff and site a little with fewer categories :D

A big thankyou to you, admins and mods who keep the site going xxx

What goes around comes around

#6 docsavage

docsavage

Custom Extraordinaire

• Elite Member
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Tinternet, Sci-Fi, History, making custom covers/labels (of course) . Also I'm extremely partial to jelly babies.
  • Covers:623

• Rank (last 60 days):
    48th in DVD Movie
    81st in TV Series

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

Good to see that the site is keeping up to date and reworking the upload rules. :)

I'd like to add a couple of points...

As for dpi, why complicate things by saying..." The NEW size for ALL uploads WILL be 200dpi - but the standard we would like to see is 300dpi." Why not make 300dpi strictly standard?.

Primarily I design custom dvd covers/labels but have dabbled in other areas ie : blu-ray covers, and what I have found to be a headache is that cover sizes vary greatly from region to region.
Will the site be setting out cover size guidelines adapted for those different regions? As the need for blu-rays increases, I for one will be making more of those and it would benefit me and others if that were sorted out.

Covergal mentioned..."see if any volunteers will provide help with members creating their own customs?" Any member seeking help with customs... I for one would be happy to assist. ;) although I don't understand which type of template she is referring to?

21c56jd.png

y11tk.gif

#7 Covergal

Covergal

Advanced Member

• 365 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

Good to see that the site is keeping up to date and reworking the upload rules. :)

As for dpi, why complicate things by saying..." The NEW size for ALL uploads WILL be 200dpi - but the standard we would like to see is 300dpi." Why not make 300dpi strictly standard?.

Primarily I design custom dvd covers/labels but have dabbled in other areas ie : blu-ray covers, and what I have found to be a headache is that cover sizes vary greatly from region to region.
Will the site be setting out cover size guidelines adapted for those different regions? As the need for blu-rays increases, I for one will be making more of those and it would benefit me and others if that were sorted out.

Covergal mentioned..."see if any volunteers will provide help with members creating their own customs?" Any member seeking help with customs... I for one would be happy to assist. ;) although I don't understand which type of template she is referring to?

have attached a psp template for a single dvd case 300dpi - 3240 x 2175 ... can up more if anyone requires em :D

Attached Thumbnails

• template_single.jpg

#8 tmscrapbook

tmscrapbook

Advanced Member

• 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Reading, sewing, exercise, designing spacesaver dvd covers, visiting the grandkids, hanging out with my husband, and watching the Seahawks :)
  • Covers:8554

• Rank (last 60 days):
    8th in Blu-Ray Movie
    15th in DVD Movie
    12th in Soundtrack
    4th in TV Series

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

Nice set of uploading rules, and should be very easy to follow by any uploader - no excuses for COMPLAINING :)

#9 tweetybird

tweetybird

Barbie Girl MOD

• Elite Member
  • 6,292 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

Oops - my bad - I meant the MINIMUM allowable size. Currently it is 150dpi - we are just upping it 50dpi - would be nice if everyone already did upload at 300dpi (sigh). Have since edited my original post to say MINIMUM. Sorry about that.

Our international Moderator sjonnydoo has pointed out the differences between the continents - so we are AWARE of this and will take that into consideration when approving. I am basically trying very hard to simplify everything - with easy rules - as some seem to have a hard time understanding them as they are - which truthfully I have always considered to be very simple rules.

Right now this thread is strictly for the concerns for the new minimum allowable size requirements for uploading covers. So basically - one thing at a time PLEASE. I can only do so much. :)

Thank You
TB

#10 Covergal

Covergal

Advanced Member

• 365 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:09 AM

Oops - my bad - I meant the MINIMUM allowable size. Currently it is 150dpi - we are just upping it 50dpi - would be nice if everyone already did upload at 300dpi (sigh). Have since edited my original post to say MINIMUM. Sorry about that.

Our international Moderator sjonnydoo has pointed out the differences between the continents - so we are AWARE of this and will take that into consideration when approving. I am basically trying very hard to simplify everything - with easy rules - as some seem to have a hard time understanding them as they are - which truthfully I have always considered to be very simple rules.

Right now this thread is strictly for the concerns for the new minimum allowable size requirements for uploading covers. So basically - one thing at a time PLEASE. I can only do so much. :)

Thank You
TB

I would not have thought that whilst size of dvd cases maybe different in various countries, most use the available FREE cover printing software, which will size the cover depending which country it is required for, therefore it should not matter as long as the pixel size is adhered to.. The template i attached in previous post, is a guideline for custom covers.. 300dpi - 3240 x 2175. when scanning a retail cover - settings determine the pacific region size.... Simple is best, no mix ups then.. and you do exceptionally well Tweety wot would we ever do without you x

#11 meddi

meddi

elite member

• Elite Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:creating custom dvd covers.
  • Covers:1245

• Rank (last 60 days):
    22nd in DVD Movie
    54th in TV Series

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

300 dpi is a very good setting to allow good prints to be printed,an larger sizes would not be noticeable to the naked eye at the cove size,bigger res are only noticeable for much larger prints.and it is about time that some crap and carelessly uploaded covers are taken or refused by the site mods,they only take up upload space.keep it up mods.Posted ImagePosted Image
if you don`t leave,you will never come back again

#12 Guest_ron mackey_*

Guest_ron mackey_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:42 AM

Can I get SOMEONE to get in touch with me from Free Covers to sort out a problem I have with my password.
I have tried to follow the instructions several times & i've got NOWHERE!!! HELP. thanks ron

#13 tweetybird

tweetybird

Barbie Girl MOD

• Elite Member
  • 6,292 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

PM Me.

P.S. This is not the correct forum for this.

#14 custommade61

custommade61

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:33 AM

Freecovers.net
Thanks for all the reliable and best quality covers I've received since 2008 thanks Staff!!!
yours forever made!!!
custommade61

#15 meddi

meddi

elite member

• Elite Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:creating custom dvd covers.
  • Covers:1245

• Rank (last 60 days):
    22nd in DVD Movie
    54th in TV Series

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Freecovers.net Thanks for all the reliable and best quality covers I've received since 2008 thanks Staff!!! yours forever made!!! custommade61

how`s that for loyalty?we all would like to receive appreciation especially towards the staff who help keep this site up and running. :clap:
if you don`t leave,you will never come back again

#16 ebrahem

ebrahem

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

love

#17 Adamsy

Adamsy

Advanced Member

• Elite Member
  • 63 posts
  • Covers:158

• Rank (last 60 days):
    44th in PC Games
    3rd in Playstation 3
    3rd in Xbox 360

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

ALL custom covers MUST be denoted as CUSTOM. ALSO note for CUSTOM labels - ALL CUSTOM DISC LABELS ARE TO BE ROUND - we will no longer accept a SQUARE label - as discs are round - this is not an unusual request.

So your making it easier for people to download(steal) and re-upload our Cd labels to another site as their own? Total disagree with this rule.

1. A the end of the day people who do custom covers use the square background totag their work, in ordere to prevent what i just mentioned.
2. The background of a CD label is never printed, its automatically cropped as soon as you load it into your printer software.

I say allow the squared CD label uploads.

#18 Guest_dave reardon_*

Guest_dave reardon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

if they the rules I will follow them !!

#19 m911btr

m911btr

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

IT THIS WHY IT WONT ZOOM UP