2getted

To Each Their Own

• Gold Member
  • 110 posts
  • Covers:508

• Rank (last 60 days):
    25th in DVD Movie

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

I've heard that a sequel will be made in line with the series of books the original was based on. I believe that Donnie Yen will star in it. Good choice - I love his acting and persona he displays in his films, ie Ip Man, Ip Man 2, Legend of The Fist...

Can anyone tell me what the series of books the movie is based on and if they're worth reading?

Laughing.man.gif

#2 Lucysnowy

Lucysnowy

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 25 posts
  • Covers:8

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

http://en.wikipedia...._Iron_Pentalogy

http://www.michelley.../Ch/novels.html

#3 2getted

2getted

To Each Their Own

• Gold Member
  • 110 posts
  • Covers:508

• Rank (last 60 days):
    25th in DVD Movie

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Amazing that the stories were written that long ago. But very disappointing that there is no English translation available.

"...Wang Du Lu wrote totally more than 30 novels, including 16 martial arts novels, in his lifetime. Love and tragedy are the centre of them. Among his books the most famous ones are in a sequence of five novels that are collectively called the Crane - Iron Pantology, written during 1938 - 1942..."

1. Crane Frightens Kunlun
  2. Precious Sword, Golden Hairpin
  3. Sword Force, Pearl Shine
  4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  5. Iron Knight, Silver Vase

"...A Reuters/Variety news on 10/17/01 states that Simon & Schuster paid six figures at earlier 2001 for English-language rights to the Crane-Iron Pantology. But no new development has been heard since..."

"... As of 2013, no official English language translations of his novels exist. However, there is a manhua series of the same title, (now in its second, revised edition) created by Andy Seto. They depart substantially from the written text. As of 2013, there is currently an unofficial English translation in progress of the first novel, Crane Frightens Kunlun...."

Now if only I had learnt to read Chinese at school ...

Laughing.man.gif