• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 keep3

keep3

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • Covers:1

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:12 PM

hey, does anybody print on to printable glossy disc's? using the epson r300? because I was going to buy some but a friend told me he tried and after 48 hours of letting them dry he could wipe the print of with his fingers! if any one else found this a problem or if you found it fine could u let me know please.thanks.keep3
thumbup1.gif

#2 saugmon

saugmon

Rookie

• 15 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:51 AM

I've got the Epson R-200,which doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the R-300/R-320 and R-340.It does have the same specs.

I just ran out of HP semi gloss photo paper. I thought my covers looked very good until I couldn't find it anymore. I then got some Canon photo paper plus glossy and those covers are awesome. My covers don't smudge. I do wait a few hours before I handle them. I use the highest quality settings on those pics.I'd still like to find a thinner-glossy paper next batch.

48 hours! Holy moly! Maybe you got some bad ink? I've heard of other peeps having smudging on their disc covers. I don't use epson ink. I use a cheaper,very good quality ink sold by private.abacus24-7

I can get 3 sets of cartridges there cheaper than at my local stores like walmart/staples/and office depot.
cheers.gif

#3 adjac

adjac

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

I have the r220 and have had the no problem with printable cds, however the ones i use arent glossy finished. I use the matt printable cds and have no problems with any smudging after drying for about 1 hour.

Is there any difference between glossy and matt printable cds?

does anybody print on to printable glossy disc's without any problems?

Would be grateful if anyone could answer the two questions

#4 forkndave

forkndave

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 10 posts
  • Covers:277

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:18 AM

I believe those glossy discs you are talking about are probably thermal printable. Ink won't stick to them. I've never seen a glossy inkjet printable disc. There are some inkjet printables such as Ritek and some Prodisc that have a smooth surface, but I wouldn't call them glossy. The Riteks probably have the best printing surface, but I no longer use them. I've had too many Ritek printable G04 and G05 start developing massive PIE and PIF in less than a year. Here's an example

Dave

Attached Files

#5 keep3

keep3

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

thanx thumbup1.gif

#6 jim9

jim9

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 288 posts
  • Covers:276

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

i use an epson r200 and not had any probs printing covers or disc's.
i use glossy photo paper. the thinest paper i used was was boots. it's about £10 4r 100 atm...think it was on a special offer though.
i normally use kodak paper or glossy paper from aldi....50 sheets 4r £5....canny beat it..
United we stand - Divided we fall ..... None shall divide us[COLOR=blue][B]

#7 coolhandlucas

coolhandlucas

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:00 AM

I have an Epson R300 as well, and I use the Maxell printable discs. They are not glossy and after drying for a short period of time they are good to go. I have not found a glossy printable disc, but if anybody is aware of one then please let us know.

#8 BillyMoped

BillyMoped

• Gold Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:25 PM

I use injet printable silver tops nice classy gloss finsh

#9 xyscaling

xyscaling

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:03 PM

My question is about Printable DVD discs. NOT paper stick-on labels. I have used the matt white and the matt silver media.

Is there any way to get a nice gloss or semiglass finish using the Epson R220?? I would even consider spraying the finished surface with a thin layer of lacquer.

I want something that looks professional using my Epson.

#10 mitch-m

mitch-m

Rookie

• 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:40 PM

You can now get Verbatim Glossy Photo Printable (16x) DVD-R for about £8 for 25 (a bit pricey but may come down after a while)
but there is a bit of mixed reaction to them as they can take ages to dry(they recommend 24hrs) plus its best to check if Compatible with your printer.
But i think the mane problem may be you might end up with some really nice looking coasters.

#11 jimmomech8

jimmomech8

jimmomech8

• Gold Member
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retirement. Cabninet Making, Movie Collection, Photography and Graphic Arts
  • Covers:343

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(keep3 @ Dec 17 2005, 08:12 AM)
hey, does anybody print on to printable glossy disc's? using the epson r300? because I was going to buy some but a friend told me he tried and after 48 hours of letting them dry he could wipe the print of with his fingers! if any one else found this a problem or if you found it fine could u let me know please.thanks.keep3
thumbup1.gif

View Post

I have a R320, an RX580, and a RX680. I use only Glossy Photo Discs from US Digital Media and they are dry when they come out of the printer with unbelievable print quality. They also only use Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden only as disc media with their coating.

#12 meddi

meddi

elite member

• Elite Member
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:creating custom dvd covers.
  • Covers:1246

• Rank (last 60 days):
    22nd in DVD Movie
    54th in TV Series

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(adjac @ Dec 20 2005, 10:07 PM)
I have the r220 and have had the no problem with printable cds, however the ones i use arent glossy finished. I use the matt printable cds and have no problems with any smudging after drying for about 1 hour.

Is there any difference between glossy and matt printable cds?

does anybody print on to printable glossy disc's without any problems?

Would be grateful if anyone could answer the two questions

View Post

hi adjac,i have printed on both matt and glossy cd`s.the matt ones dry out immediately and no smudging can occur on them,but the glossy ones tend to leave a sticky surface and they do smudge if not handled with care and also tend to scrape off as well.the the glossy ones have a very clean and glossy look,i would prefer the matt ones as they do not fade or smudge. cheers.gif
if you don`t leave,you will never come back again

#13 meddi

meddi

elite member

• Elite Member
  • 604 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    22nd in DVD Movie
    54th in TV Series

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(keep3 @ Dec 17 2005, 04:12 PM)
thumbup1.gif

View Post

your friend was right,the ink on the glossy ones does not "stick"very well to the disc,and if some moisture comes in contact with the ink,you will end up with a rainbow instead of a printed disc.stick to the matt white ones.

#14 jimbokb

jimbokb

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 2 posts
  • Covers:68

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

user posted image
Epson RX700 All In One

Photos & Disc's the print quality is outstanding.

I have been using this printer for around 2 years & providing you use Quality Glossy discs & Quality Ink, there should be no problem.

I use only use Verbatim (DVD) & Infiniti (CDR) printable discs.

Personally I prefer the Matt finish.

#15 Netasha

Netasha

Netasha

• 3 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Computers, Movies,
  • Covers:160

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(keep3 @ Dec 17 2005, 10:12 AM)
thumbup1.gif

View Post

Hey there.. 1st posting here.. I have a epson 280 and use Ridata Inkjet White DVD-R 16X disks for data and video---can get 50 for abt $12 at TechSource. Replacement pack of 6 Bestar inks cartridge for abt $20-25.. (they fit frm the epson-260-380).
Hope that the above is relative to a posting??? . or did I booboo
Net innocent.gif
p.s. tried to upload a cover to see if doing it right and nothing happend when I hit upload button?.. (be gentle am old lady learning comp..LOL)

Attached Files

#16 meddi

meddi

elite member

• Elite Member
  • 604 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    22nd in DVD Movie
    54th in TV Series

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

when you hit the upload button,nothing usually happens until the cover has been uploaded.then the page changes and should tell you that the upload has is complete.just be patient for a few minutes.

#17 BBill

BBill

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

Taiyo Yden sells a Waterproof DVD-R16X that is really nice! A little bit more money than regular printable TY's but a nice glossy finish.

#18 ___DOUGIE___

___DOUGIE___

Rookie

• 19 posts
  • Covers:64

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

I only use Taiyo Yuden Watershield™ premium A-grade DVD-R discs as they offer the highest level of reliability, accuracy and long-term data integrity. With a capacity of 4.7Gb they are designed to be duplicated at speeds of up to 16x. The dye on these is superb. The white inkjet printable, ultra-high gloss, photo quality, moisture resistant surface achieves the very best printing results from most CD/DVD inkjet printers. You
can run these under a tap straight from your printer with no run, smudge etc. They have the least burn failure rate as well ...
[attachmentid=4514]

Attached Files

user posted image
user posted image

#19 meddi

meddi

elite member

• Elite Member
  • 604 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    22nd in DVD Movie
    54th in TV Series

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

these discs sound and look excellent,the last time i got glossy discs(not available any more in my place)they were sticky and not water resistant.the discs i used where traxdata

#20 richmansteve

richmansteve

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

I use no name printable dvd's and they look great with my epson280.
I have a constant ink supply system from bestar and can print about 2000 before having to refill. Cheap also