20 replies to this topic

#1 Sybex2010

Sybex2010

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 7 posts
  • Covers:4

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

The printer will basically be printing DVD covers and CD/Disc covers. It has to high quality meaning the way i see the cover on my computer the clarity should be close to that.

Will be printing around 100-150 covers a month. How long will the cartridges last for the model you recommend. Will the cartridges be refillable or not. How often will i have to change cartridges seeing my usage of 100-150 covers/month.

My price range is around $120-$150.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 mervb

mervb

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:36 AM

My choice would be a canon ip4600, refilling is tricky but can be done.

#3 Tiffany

Tiffany

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 590 posts
  • Covers:706

• Rank (last 60 days):
    52nd in TV Series

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(mervb @ Jul 22 2009, 12:36 PM)
My choice would be a canon ip4600, refilling is tricky but can be done.

View Post

Its the one I have and Calidad have the refills much cheaper. Works just as good.

#4 Simon R.

Simon R.

Rookie

• 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

I'm an HP fan...
InkJet Cartridges & Laser Toner Cartridges

#5 Sybex2010

Sybex2010

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the help guys, picink which HP printer are you talking about, could you please tell me the model no. for that.

Mervb I also have had my eye on the canon ip4600 but I don't think it's available where I live. HP and Epson are available.

Tiffany which printer is the one that you have? Could you please post the Model no. for that?

A friend of mine has the Epson R230 and he has a supply of ink through a bottle system which can be quite economical. He uses normal Double AA paper rather than the Inkjet paper and the quality of the covers is not all that. Another friend of friend has a HP (don't know the model no.) He uses Inkjet paper and his covers are awesome (the kind Iím looking for).

Now my question is letís say I get the Epson R230 and use inkjet paper with it will the covers come out to my expectations?? If not which printer should I get which will give me excellent results, and is economical as well.

Thanks in advance.

#6 tmscrapbook

tmscrapbook

Advanced Member

• 1,621 posts
  • Interests:Reading, sewing, exercise, designing spacesaver dvd covers, visiting the grandkids, hanging out with my husband, and watching the Seahawks :)
  • Covers:9341

• Rank (last 60 days):
    8th in Blu-Ray Movie
    15th in DVD Movie
    12th in Soundtrack
    4th in TV Series

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

I myself am sold on the epson printers. I have had the R300, R320 and now the R280. They all used 6 ink cartridges which produces great covers and labels. But I have learned that the quality of paper you use is equally as important for producing great looking covers.

#7 baldybear

baldybear

Advanced Member

• 144 posts
  • Covers:51

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE(tmscrapbook @ Jul 26 2009, 04:26 PM)
I myself am sold on the epson printers.  I have had the R300, R320 and now the R280.  They all used 6 ink cartridges which produces great covers and labels.  But I have learned that the quality of paper you use is equally as important for producing great looking covers.

View Post

got to agree.i have a r300 and r285 both running continuous ink systems.
very cheap but still good quality especially on the discs.
ebay would be your best bet for these printers
user posted image

#8 Sybex2010

Sybex2010

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

tmscrapbook and baldybear, since both of you like the Epson printers and have tried various models, which one gives you the best quality covers, and what type of paper are you using (the exact name would be helpful).

tm do you use a continuous ink system or not. If not how long do the cartridges last. What's your running cost/month?

Baldybear is there a difference in the quality of the covers/discs when one uses a continuous ink system. Is the quality better when using the Epson cartridges or is it the same?

Thanks for the help appreciate it!

#9 Simon R.

Simon R.

Rookie

• 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(Sybex2010 @ Jul 26 2009, 05:36 AM)
...picink which HP printer are you talking about, could you please tell me the model no. for that....

I just got myself the HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One. Fine piece of machine!

#10 Sybex2010

Sybex2010

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Simon R. @ Jul 27 2009, 05:30 PM)
I just got myself the HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One.  Fine piece of machine!

View Post

The machine that you just bought does look nice and reading the reviews of it does lead me to believe that it prints excellent quality covers/discs. I had a couple of questions, after how many printed covers do you have to change cartridges? Also can one install a continous ink system with HP printers?

Since I'll be printing only covers and discs, I don't really need the all in one feature plus my budget doesn't allow me anyways (the max I can spend is $200). So in HP which printer would do the job without the All-in-One feature and still give me excellent quality printed covers/discs.

#11 tmscrapbook

tmscrapbook

Advanced Member

• 1,621 posts
  • Interests:Reading, sewing, exercise, designing spacesaver dvd covers, visiting the grandkids, hanging out with my husband, and watching the Seahawks :)

• Rank (last 60 days):
    8th in Blu-Ray Movie
    15th in DVD Movie
    12th in Soundtrack
    4th in TV Series

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

I use epson presentation paper - legal size so that I can print my dvd covers. Sometimes I buy this directly form epson (if they have a deal on it) and other times on ebay. It is item #S041067 and comes 100 sheets per box. I also buy my ink cartridges off ebay. I do not buy epson brand but compatible cartridges. It depends on what I'm printing as to how long they last. Obviously, if you're image is predominantly yellow then the yellow cartridge is going to be used quicker than say the cyan cartridge. That's one reason I like the individual cartridge system with the epson printers. I have never tried the continuous ink system. I know a lot of people swear by them, but it seems kind of tricky to me.

Anyway, I hope this helps smile.gif

#12 tmscrapbook

tmscrapbook

Advanced Member

• 1,621 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    8th in Blu-Ray Movie
    15th in DVD Movie
    12th in Soundtrack
    4th in TV Series

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

I forgot to mention that I have had great luck buying refurbished printers from the epson store. They are cheaper and carry the same warranty as a new printer.

#13 Sybex2010

Sybex2010

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(tmscrapbook @ Jul 27 2009, 06:40 PM)
I use epson presentation paper - legal size so that I can print my dvd covers.  Sometimes I buy this directly form epson (if they have a deal on it) and other times on ebay.  It is item #S041067 and comes 100 sheets per box.  I also buy my ink cartridges off ebay.  I do not buy epson brand but compatible cartridges.  It depends on what I'm printing as to how long they last.  Obviously, if you're image is predominantly yellow then the yellow cartridge is going to be used quicker than say the cyan cartridge.  That's one reason I like the individual cartridge system with the epson printers.  I have never tried the continuous ink system.  I know a lot of people swear by them, but it seems kind of tricky to me.

Anyway, I hope this helps smile.gif

View Post

Tm your input is much appreciated. Since you've had experience with different Epson models, which model gave you the best results? The quality of paper that youíre using is great but a bit expensive. What if I used normal inkjet paper how will the quality of the covers be then, and the cartridges that you use, could you please provide me with a link for those? I also wanted to know in your opinion which is the best color inkjet paper.

Thanks

#14 nickisastar

nickisastar

• 48 posts
  • Covers:15

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(Simon R. @ Jul 27 2009, 01:30 PM)
I just got myself the HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One.  Fine piece of machine!

View Post

clap.gif I am a total fan of HP printers & now that they are bringing out more of them with individual ink cartridges they are even better.The 5380 All In One prints discs as well,no fax but I dont need one. biggrin.gif The price is great also,only $130 but that's aussie dollars so it will be less elsewhere (like everything else) mad.gif But anyway HP always has brilliant colour & a great online help with regular driver updates. That's my preference anyway thumbup.gif

#15 tmscrapbook

tmscrapbook

Advanced Member

• 1,621 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    8th in Blu-Ray Movie
    15th in DVD Movie
    12th in Soundtrack
    4th in TV Series

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

The paper is expensive but well worth it. If you go with standard inkjet paper, get heavier than the standard 20lb. weight and look at the brightness indicatior. Standard paper has a brightness factor of 90. I did find some 24 lb legal paper with a brightness factor of 96 which as cheap ($11.00 for 500 sheets) which worked better than the standard inkjet paper but the presentation paper is LIGHTYEARS better for the final results in my opinion.

As far as the cartridges go, I do a search on ebay for my printer model and then go from there. I usually buy a 6-7pk or a 12-14 pk of ink and then buy an extra individual ink cartridge as needed (for instance yellow or light magenta) depending on what I run out of first.

I hope this helps smile.gif

#16 Simon R.

Simon R.

Rookie

• 21 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE(Sybex2010 @ Jul 27 2009, 07:18 AM)
...I had a couple of questions, after how many printed covers do you have to change cartridges? Also can one install a continous ink system with HP printers?..

View Post

Not there yet, haven't changed any cartridges yet. Haven't installed a CIS either, but I know that there are CIS for HP (not sure if there is one for this model)

#17 ALTX3QM

ALTX3QM

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE(Simon R. @ Aug 3 2009, 04:01 AM)
Not there yet, haven't changed any cartridges yet. Haven't installed a CIS either, but I know that there are CIS for HP (not sure if there is one for this model)

View Post

Hi
I have this printer, and I couldn't be happier! kicking.gif It handles everything I throw at like a champ.

Yes, there is a ciss for this model:

CISS ON EBAY

I have not purchased a CISS yet, I purchase my ink with staples rewards checks and coupons. I used to purchase ink online from various sources, but this is what works best for me.

At staples right now you can exchange 10 (regular account) or 20 (premier account) cartridges and get double the regular credit ($6) = $120 rewards check.
View staples ad

I get my coupons (cheaper as a member) from
Here

Media > Verbatim 95079

hope this helps!

p.s. first post! clap.gif

[Post Edited]
PLEASE - NO OFF-SITE LINKS. CHECK OUR FAQ.
Thank You

#18 jinnie

jinnie

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Films obviously, my family, music, reading, If there is one thing I could not live without it would be books. Back alot better but I don't want to agravate it so not back into the fitness yet!! Swimming, specially with my kids, its such a giggle, but not done for a while, I'll sit and read and watch them having fun instead. How come your mind goes blank at these things huh?
  • Covers:166

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE(Sybex2010 @ Jul 20 2009, 07:58 PM)
The printer will basically be printing DVD covers and CD/Disc covers.  It has to high quality meaning the way i see the cover on my computer the clarity should be close to that. 

Will be printing around 100-150 covers a month.  How long will the cartridges last for the model you recommend.  Will the cartridges be refillable or not.  How often will i have to change cartridges seeing my usage of 100-150 covers/month.

My price range is around $120-$150. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

View Post

I'd go for empson r285 or the newer model......... I have a ciss and ink costs me about £5 a year............ and its ALOT of printing....... photo quality for covers and I would never switch brands again.

I had a canon prior to this one, and it lasted about 8 months before it died a death. I took it back, and changed it for the epson r285 and have had for about 18months.... alot of printing and its still going strong.

Whatever you printer you buy......... check you can get a ciss for it tho.......... printing is the same quality but the cost is negligable.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#19 Emuppyfauramb

Emuppyfauramb

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:42 AM

Ive nearly run out of A4 size printer paper and was wondering which brand of paper I should buy next time round.

Which brands do you prefer and would recommend for use with a Canon inkjet printer?

#20 Frankbom

Frankbom

Rookie

• 10 posts
  • Interests:Baseball

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:46 AM

I am too looking to invest in a printer. Specifically for photography, and able to do large prints. There seem to be a few different Canon Pixma around. Which would you recommend? Regards Mazz