• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 memoman

memoman

Advanced Member

• 111 posts
  • Covers:32

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

Hi i was wondering about playing movies encoded in mp4 on my psp i have a 4gig sony memory stick that i'd like to add a few movies too. i know that for the psp to recondise my music mp3 files i have to create folders psp/music/title of album.But no matter how i locate mp4 fies on my memory stick on my psps the machine fails to locate them. it is a new psp firmware 2.81.the manual says the psp will play the mp4 files straight off the memory card.The movie files play on my pc.i have not encoded them myself i am merley using them to test i have also tried a mp4 clip that plays on my mobile phone.i have read the manual. the parental setting is set at 9 i have not changed it yet 1 being high 11 being low)
any help would be appreciated .i am not a novice but i haven't really had much to do with mp4 formats.
thanks

ps if i locate the file on psp/music the machine reconises the file but not play as its not a music file but psp/video file folder does not work??
user posted image

#2 Remy_04

Remy_04

Rookie

• 16 posts
  • Covers:4

• Rank (last 60 days):
    16th in PSP

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:53 AM

To watch videos on your PSP you need to make a folder named "MP_ROOT" on your memory stick. Within that folder you make one called "100MNV01" and that's where you place your .mp4 videos.
Make sure all folder names are in CAPS. Also, the PSP will not recognize videos if they are not named properly. They should be named something like this "M4V54694.mp4." So, make sure the file name starts with "M4V" and five digits after that.

As for the .THM file, that's just the video thumbnail. You can view it by changing the file extension to .jpg or whatever and vice versa if you want to make your own, after all this is freecovers.com.
You can save some space by resizing you custom thumbnail to 144X84. Make sure to name it the same as the video you want to associate it with such as my example "M4V54694.THM."

In short you put videos and your thumbnail here "ms0:\MP_ROOT\100MNV01\"

Music here "ms0:\PSP\MUSIC\"

Pictures here "ms0:\PSP\PHOTO\"

You can also organize your pics and music files by creating sub folders within the "MUSIC' and "PHOTO" folder such as by album or play list. You can name the sub folders what ever you want such as by band name.

Another cool thing that I just figured out is having a thumbnail on your music files such as cover art. To do this I locate the music file in a media player like Windows Media Player, right-click the file and go to "Advance Tag Editor", then click on the "Pictures" tab, click "Add", locate the image you want and click "Apply". When your done, copy the music to your PSP and that's it. For some reason this doesn't work on all my files, it might have to do with the image format.

I guess no one here has a PSP if you have to wait this long for a reply. eek.gif

#3 memoman

memoman

Advanced Member

• 111 posts
  • Covers:32

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Remy_04 @ Oct 13 2007, 02:53 AM)
To watch videos on your PSP you need to make a folder named "MP_ROOT" on your memory stick. Within that folder you make one called "100MNV01" and that's where you place your .mp4 videos.
Make sure all folder names are in CAPS. Also, the PSP will not recognize videos if they are not named properly. They should be named something like this "M4V54694.mp4." So, make sure the file name starts with "M4V" and five digits after that.

As for the .THM file, that's just the video thumbnail. You can view it by changing the file extension to .jpg or whatever and vice versa if you want to make your own, after all this is freecovers.com.
You can save some space by resizing you custom thumbnail to 144X84. Make sure to name it the same as the video you want to associate it with such as my example "M4V54694.THM."

In short you put videos and your thumbnail here "ms0:\MP_ROOT\100MNV01\"

Music here "ms0:\PSP\MUSIC\"

Pictures here "ms0:\PSP\PHOTO\"

You can also organize your pics and music files by creating sub folders within the "MUSIC' and "PHOTO" folder such as by album or play list. You can name the sub folders what ever you want such as by band name.

Another cool thing that I just figured out is having a thumbnail on your music files such as cover art. To do this I locate the music file in a media player like Windows Media Player, right-click the file and go to "Advance Tag Editor", then click on the "Pictures" tab, click "Add", locate the image you want and click "Apply". When your done, copy the music to your PSP and that's it. For some reason this doesn't work on all my files, it might have to do with the image format.

I guess no one here has a PSP if you have to wait this long for a reply.  eek.gif

View Post

got it working months ago sorry however not all movies work ill have to encode my own smile.gif
user posted image