jay09

A Good Member

• Elite Member
  • 600 posts
  • Covers:3442

• Rank (last 60 days):
    24th in Blu-Ray Movie

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

hi all hope you can help me i want to take vista off my laptop and down grade to xp please help thanks jay

#2 ouchyfoot

ouchyfoot

Blue Meanie

• Elite Member
  • 3,926 posts
  • Covers:390

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:35 AM

sounds expensive.

#3 sb4100

sb4100

Sb4100

• Elite Member
  • 6,533 posts
  • Interests:Many Interests
  • Covers:30890

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in Anime DVD
    2nd in DVD Movie
    4th in HD-DVD Movie
    2nd in Music DVD
    19th in Other Console
    3rd in Playstation 3
    2nd in TV Series
    19th in VCD

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:50 AM

you cant back ups dont work with vista to xp. if you want to go back to xp then back up favorites my documents, important work, write down what programs you had so you can reinstall them and crash the pc to start again.

#4 jay09

jay09

A Good Member

• Elite Member
  • 600 posts
  • Covers:3442

• Rank (last 60 days):
    24th in Blu-Ray Movie

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE(sb4100 @ Sep 17 2008, 08:50 AM)
you cant back ups dont work with vista to xp. if you want to go back to xp then back up favorites my documents, important work, write down what programs you had so you can reinstall them and crash the pc to start again.

View Post

ok thanks

#5 sb4100

sb4100

Sb4100

• Elite Member
  • 6,533 posts
  • Interests:Many Interests
  • Covers:30890

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in Anime DVD
    2nd in DVD Movie
    4th in HD-DVD Movie
    2nd in Music DVD
    19th in Other Console
    3rd in Playstation 3
    2nd in TV Series
    19th in VCD

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

also find out if your drivers are compatable with xp as they may be designed for vista

#6 theblackparade

theblackparade

Rookie

• 13 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

i read about it in a maximum pc issue but i dont remember which one. try wikihow. if that doesnt work, google it.
imnotokay

#7 COOL_Stoner

COOL_Stoner

The COOL One

• Gold Member
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Computer Repair and Upgrading, Electronic Repair (flat screen TVs, Ipods, DVD Players, Media Players)Chess, Playing guitar
  • Covers:11

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(jay09 @ Sep 16 2008, 06:06 PM)
hi all hope you can help me i want to take vista off my laptop and down grade to xp please help thanks jay

View Post

suggest you do not downgrade to XP if Vista came with your laptop as doing so could void your warranty.

#8 Robbobobbo69

Robbobobbo69

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • Covers:1

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

I feeld your pain... Vista is horrible, XP is far better. if you want to "downgrade"... just do a complete reformat and install of XP (remember to back up if you wish to keep your files). you can also try a dual boot. But if your willing to wait couple more months, get Windows 7, I've tested the RC version and it is honestly the best of both worlds. XP performance with vista looks to put it simply. thumbup1.gif

#9 Ranger_UK

Ranger_UK

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

One thing to watch out for if your laptop has an intel chipset , it's highly likely the XP disc will not find your hard drive as it does not have the intel sata driver embedded on it
There are ways round is but is not easy as most laptops don't have floppy drives anymore sad.gif
I've had to make up special XP disc's which include the driver by using a free program called nlite which allows you to add driver's and updates to an XP install disc.
One more tip go to your laptop maker's website and check if it has XP driver's for your model before you try install XP
Even if they don't you can find them but it's time consuming I know I had to do quite a few times smile.gif

Ranger_UK

#10 pcmodem

pcmodem

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

XP with SP3 will see SATA drives,
What I would suggest is to download Hirens BootCD and use Ghost or any of the other clone programs on it to make a clone of your HD Ghost works great for this....Then try out XP Most of the companies of laptops have drivers for both XP Vista & now Vista7.
Windows 7 is prob. the best way to go.