7 replies to this topic

#1 ouchyfoot

ouchyfoot

Blue Meanie

• Elite Member
  • 3,926 posts
  • Covers:390

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:06 AM

I've been looking at the 24" imac lately...and am considering moving away from windows and entering a new realm. I'm Mac ignorant at the moment, and most people I talk to are also...any Mac info or suggestions would be very helpful to me.

#2 cliffnagie

cliffnagie

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 1 posts
  • Covers:1

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(ouchyfoot @ Jan 18 2007, 05:06 PM)
I've been looking at the 24" imac lately...and am considering moving away from windows and entering a new realm. I'm Mac ignorant at the moment, and most people I talk to are also...any Mac info or suggestions would be very helpful to me.

View Post

I don't know what your technical level is, or what you want to use your computer for, so it's hard to really say if a Mac would be a good choice for you. I've been using PC's since the DOS days, and have used every version of Windows to come along (except Vista) and I am eagerly awaiting the Mac Pro I ordered yesterday morning.

I do a lot of video editing, so for me the switch makes sense. I'll still keep a Windows box around for ripping/shrinking/burning since that is what I've written all my tools to automate the process on.

Both Windows and Macs have their Pro's and Con's, neither is the perfect choice for every person without exception. If your needs are simple and your technical expertise is not very high (like my mother for instance), then a Mac is a great choice. She struggled with a Windows machine for years, then I bought her an iMac this summer and she loves it. She doesn't do much other than email, make cd's of her pictures and pay bills online. But the fact that she can do those things without having to call one of her sons on the phone to get help, is a great thing for all involved.

If you are a hardcore gamer, Windows is still probably your best bet, although the new Intel based Macs are very powerful and there are a lot of games coming to the Macs now.

If you are a hardware tinkerer/tweaker then the iMac isn't a good choice, you may want to consider a Mac Pro, so you can tweak, fiddle and upgrade to your hearts content.

So, having said all that and not really answered your question at all, here is some practical advice for you...

Stop by a Mac store locally, many of them rent hardware. Perhaps you can rent a MacBook for a few days or a week to see what you think.

- or -

Check out some P2P sites for a VMWare image of Tiger or Leopard and give that a go, it won't be perfect or as fast as the real thing, but again, it's a chance to 'kick the tires'.

OSX is different enough from Windows that you will have many questions, so take the time to find a few good forums where you can look for help, or get a book or two. For example, Mac Os X Tiger: The Missing Manual by: David Pogue is an excellent choice.

Best of luck with your decision!

#3 ouchyfoot

ouchyfoot

Blue Meanie

• Elite Member
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:45 PM

Thanks...I've been on Mac for almost a year now...I'll never go back...OSX leopard is fantastic

#4 dawgshit

dawgshit

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

Imac sounds like a good solution for some one who knows nothing about PCs or windows & either can't or is not willing to learn, & has the big bucks to put out for a mac
I have been around since Windows 3.1 & have managed to learn a few things. If you can learn to fuck things up, then learning to fix it can be fun.

#5 ouchyfoot

ouchyfoot

Blue Meanie

• Elite Member
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

...sounds like an old man babbling about the olden days.

#6 barfbag

barfbag

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(ouchyfoot @ Dec 29 2007, 09:30 PM)
...sounds like an old man babbling about the olden days.

View Post

bash.gif

#7 tweetybird

tweetybird

Barbie Girl MOD

• Elite Member
  • 6,292 posts
  • Interests:My Grandchildren
  • Covers:6834

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

Knock it off Wes. This CRAP is getting sooooo old. Grow UP!!!!! Stop being an bitter old man who has nothing better to do than harass people. If your Granddaughters knew how you acted on the internet - they would be ashamed to call you Grandpa!!! You should be hanging your head in shame for your childish behavior. Just get over it!!! Or do you plan to spend the rest of your days being an HORSE'S ASS???? You have a pretty good head start!!!
"Ain't I a wittle stinker?"

#8 ////

////

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:14 PM

fish.gif