• 276 posts
  • Covers:1975

• Rank (last 60 days):
    15th in Anime DVD
    82nd in Blu-Ray Movie
    7th in DVD Movie
    69th in Music DVD

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Since I've been given the honor of becoming a moderator, I'm having fun in this new role. Some of you know, I'm a "Designer" across the net in many different places. I offer all y'all a challenge. I see mostly scans for approval. Anybody can simply scan a cover and post it. . . . "BIG WHOOP"!!.  Let's see more creativity. I'd like to see more original work posted... Sooo......Get out your Photoshop, Gimp, Paint.net, Illustrator or whatever and start having fun!!! (hint : Labels are easier than cases - start there) (hint 2: Photoshop is the best - 5.0 to 5.5)

Look at mine and TMScrapbooks work as an example of what you can do... I'm open for questions. As I'm sure Jack and TM are...

#2 LOUISE BOLDT

LOUISE BOLDT

Don The Great

• 21 posts
  • Interests:ROCK N' ROLL, THE GIANTS, GREAT MOVIES!
    LOUISE IS MY MAIN SQUEEZE!
  • Covers:1232

• Rank (last 60 days):
    14th in DVD Movie

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Take my word TESTIKLE is one of the best cover and label designers on the web.  Everyone can learn something from this man!

Don the Great

DON THE GREAT

#3 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Mostly, I like anything that goes bang when I pull the trigger.
  • Covers:568

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

While anyone can toss a cover onto a scanner & upload the result, it takes every bit as much skill & effort & the same tools, to make a true high quality scan as it does to do a custom cover.

I just look at the pictures.

#4 testikle

testikle

Advanced Member

• 276 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    15th in Anime DVD
    82nd in Blu-Ray Movie
    7th in DVD Movie
    69th in Music DVD

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

Foggy again speaks with wisdom! However... I'm going by what I'm seeing posted here on FC... I'm trying to coax out some possible designers.

#5 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Mostly, I like anything that goes bang when I pull the trigger.
  • Covers:568

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

Foggy again speaks with wisdom! However... I'm going by what I'm seeing posted here on FC... I'm trying to coax out some possible designers.

Hey, T. I understood your intent. I just felt those who do good scans deserved a little more recognition. We always want to encourage folks to do covers & join the ranks of designers, but there's always a place for good scans (covers, not disc labels.)

I just look at the pictures.

#6 testikle

testikle

Advanced Member

• 276 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    15th in Anime DVD
    82nd in Blu-Ray Movie
    7th in DVD Movie
    69th in Music DVD

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:11 PM

yea cool, and I agree. But doode, since seeing what "MOD" is all about, We're bombed  with scans! And I don't know where they're  getting some of  these atrocities, not all, just some, but you can count the designers in here on one hand. Yes, it's a cover site and it's providing covers! And i'm lovin' every minute of it! You won't believe the freedom we have. Man, we gotta talk... this is some crazy schiatzz!!  WEEHAA.....I'm on a roll !

And while I'm at it, One mod to another, I encourage you to do covers again! I told you before! I liked your stuff . So what if there are issues! I got issues. We all got issues! So your issues make you go slower. Guess what.ME TOO!!

In the position you're in, with the knowledge you've gained and the people you know and hob-nob with, you have a combination of access, knowledge and history that I both envy and respect. C'mon man, just take your time . You know damn well I'll post them! he he he.....Yea, I'm funnin' wif ya, But dammit my friend, I miss the old FC when we were bad boys!

HEY DON!   YOU TOO !!!!!

#7 ChrisDos

ChrisDos

Rookie

• Elite Member
  • 18 posts
  • Covers:769

• Rank (last 60 days):
    11th in Anime DVD
    2nd in Blu-Ray Movie
    74th in DVD Movie

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:03 AM

Since I rip all my discs to my own server, I embed the cover into the MKV file.  Since I only want the best quality, I scan the cover in at 600dpi and go through the scan meticulously with GIMP and then embed it into my file.  As a side benefit I upload it here.  Since I'm ripping the disc, I want the original cover to go with it.  I can truly appreciate all the work that some go to in order to create an original piece of artwork and the nice results that are provided.  I'm grateful to find someone has created such a piece of artwork when I have a disc that comes in a steel case or some other kind of material that won't let me scan anything in to make a cover.

#8 Chouette

Chouette

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 20 posts
  • Covers:305

• Rank (last 60 days):
    90th in TV Series

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

While anyone can toss a cover onto a scanner & upload the result, it takes every bit as much skill & effort & the same tools, to make a true high quality scan as it does to do a custom cover.

I couldn't agree with you more Fog. It's a lot harder to have a good scan than to design one from scratch. I did both and opted for the custom covers with Photoshop. :)

#9 tmscrapbook

tmscrapbook

Advanced Member

• 1,526 posts
  • Interests:Reading, sewing, exercise, designing spacesaver dvd covers, visiting the grandkids, hanging out with my husband, and watching the Seahawks :)
  • Covers:8321

• Rank (last 60 days):
    8th in Blu-Ray Movie
    15th in DVD Movie
    12th in Soundtrack
    4th in TV Series

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

Foggy and Chouette are correct. It takes a lot of talent to create a quality scan. The one thing that I think makes a scan easier than a custom is that you don't have to find hi-res images to use and then figure out how to put it all together to make a quality custom.