#1 Trebor

Trebor

Man of Wisdom

• 99 posts
  • Covers:65

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in GameCube

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:32 AM

A few years after the introduction of the Dual Layer writers, the discs are still expensive i.m.o.

And here in the country i live we have to pay around €0.50 extra tax on the discs. We pay around €2.20 for 1 dual layer disc.

What you think?

#2 JazzyJackie

JazzyJackie

Administrator

• + Senior Editor
  • 59 posts
  • Covers:173

• Rank (last 60 days):
    17th in GameCube

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:46 AM

thats expensive thats more expensive than 5 single sided discs for me. Dual layer just doesnt impress me. I'd rather buy 5 single sided discs for the same price or less. smile.gif

#3 Outlaw

Outlaw

>Top Quality Canon Scans<

• Gold Member
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Not necessarily in this order…<br />Hiking, Custom home &amp; auto stereo/video installations, Birds, Fireworks, Collecting Speed Racer memorabilia, Cars, Watching movies at home.
  • Covers:768

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:46 PM

I'd buy them if they "only" cost 2 to 3 times the price of single layer DVD's.
It looks like that's quite a ways off. Makes me wonder if "Hollywood" is somehow involved... mad.gif
For now, DVD shrinks high quality adaptive error compensation with deep analysis before backup is awesome. I trim the fat though to keep it above 70% or so.
Also using DVD decrypter and "ANY DVD" here...
Outlaw
user posted image

#4 Albert

Albert

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Interests:I'm a software engineer and an actor.
  • Covers:0

Posted 30 October 2005 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(OutlawRecords @ Oct 7 2005, 01:46 PM)
I'd buy them if they "only" cost 2 to 3 times the price of single layer DVD's.
It looks like that's quite a ways off.  Makes me wonder if "Hollywood" is somehow involved...   mad.gif
For now, DVD shrinks high quality adaptive error compensation with deep analysis before backup is awesome.  I trim the fat though to keep it above 70% or so.
Also using DVD decrypter and "ANY DVD" here...
Outlaw

View Post

Well, I do pretty much as you do; I have AnyDVD, DVD43, CloneDVD, Super CloneDVD, CloneDVD2, et alia, but I have, to no avail, tried to decrypt out-of-region discs using my Toshiba laptop DVD reader. Do you have any notions about this "problem" with the Toshiba (Panasonic) DVD drives? -Albert

#5 gatherer

gatherer

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 6 posts
  • Covers:518

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:16 PM

I'd rather use single layer dvd. I have no use for DL since I'm not burning DVD Movs. I love DivX,XviD and such. Pretty good quality for a home entertainment. Don't want more...
I can put 7 movs on one 4.7 GB DVD. Works for me!!! smile.gif

#6 Outlaw

Outlaw

• Gold Member
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Not necessarily in this order…<br />Hiking, Custom home &amp; auto stereo/video installations, Birds, Fireworks, Collecting Speed Racer memorabilia, Cars, Watching movies at home.

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(Albert @ Oct 30 2005, 11:56 AM)
I have, to no avail, tried to decrypt out-of-region discs using my Toshiba laptop DVD reader. Do you have any notions about this "problem" with the Toshiba (Panasonic) DVD drives? -Albert

View Post

I have no idea, I'd post your problem in another net forum, to get more views/help. Maybe http://forums.afterdawn.com/ I'm sure there are others too.
Welcome to freecovers cheers.gif
user posted image

#7 r2sosr

r2sosr

• Gold Member
  • 50 posts
  • Covers:259

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:47 AM

I use DVD Shrink, Clone DVD2, and DVD Decrypter. When all else fails, DVD FAB Decrypter.

pirate.gif

#8 thelox714

thelox714

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • Covers:2

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:39 AM

the dual layer dvds are out there.. if you catch them on sale you can usually find them for $2 each..

just picked some up...

and i do see there's another aD member in here.. sweet!

#9 Lawndart

Lawndart

Rookie

• 17 posts
  • Covers:6

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:28 AM

Still too expensive here in Canada. I'm hoping they drop in price fairly soon. Not that long ago blank DVD's were fairly expensive. Cross your fingers!! kicking.gif

#10 BertRito

BertRito

• 31 posts
  • Covers:1

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:25 AM

Can hardly see them being successful over here. To enough of a market with the need to use them. But I'd love to see the price go down, that's for sure.

#11 djbezz

djbezz

Rookie

• 21 posts
  • Covers:23

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:41 AM

I've burned a few DL discs, they work fine in my PC's DVD drive but have problems in DVD players. I've tried them in four different models so far. Two, both toshiba, jumped the chapter the layer change occured; one wouldn't play them at all, and my mates panasonic paused at the layer changed for about 20 seconds then continued. Has anyone had better results with these?

#12 ChaoticLunatic

ChaoticLunatic

• Elite Member
  • 31 posts
  • Covers:2473

• Rank (last 60 days):
    18th in Music CD

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

Heh.. Soon the Blu-Ray and HDDVDs will be the format... With the ability to store 25-50 gigs on one DVD I would say it wont be too long before this is the standard...

Interesting read if you have the time:

http://electronics.h...com/blu-ray.htm
la la la

#13 charge

charge

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

yeah they are still expensive arent they

I would have thought the'd have dropped in price by now but they havent

roll on blueray I say 30gb here we come !

#14 freecovers1138

freecovers1138

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:35 AM

For those of you that like DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor, try DVDFab Platinum. I have tried all the others and they worked well for most DVD's back in the day, however every so many months the encription code changes - thats when DVD shrink and Decryptor fail ("invalid navigation path"). DVDFab Platinum is the only software that I know of that cracks their encryption everytime. -Happy Trails!

#15 Outlaw

Outlaw

• Gold Member
  • 474 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE(freecovers1138 @ Mar 30 2006, 10:35 PM)
For those of you that like DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor, try DVDFab Platinum.  I have tried all the others and they worked well for most DVD's back in the day, however every so many months  the encription code changes - thats when DVD shrink and Decryptor fail ("invalid navigation path").  DVDFab Platinum is the only software that I know of that cracks their encryption everytime. -Happy Trails!

View Post

I use DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor frequently but also with AnyDvd running in the background....
AnyDvd is updated frequently to beat every new trick that comes out too.
It's good to hear about other software being updated too, just in case one of 'em stops!
user posted image

#16 gazlilley88

gazlilley88

Advanced Member

• 73 posts
  • Covers:210

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:52 AM

Must admit i bought 2 dual-layered discs costing me £5 in total, and the out-come well it's a 1:1 copy of the original no doubt about that, how ever, i'm not over struck on all these menus and extras e.t.c. so single layered discs do me fine, using nero re-code and anydvd works fine every time! I used to use clone dvd (slysoft/elabourate bytes) how ever things just don't seem as good now for some reason, clone dvd is lagging in some departments, how ever, nero seems to do just as good job as clone dvd used to and probably still does, with the option to have better picture quality over sound or vise versa, i prefer to use nero, just for the added options, although i have noticed one slight hitch with using nero, it chews more ram than a welshman. seriously, 1gb min. required, although i'm running 512mb it's working, but stuggling slightly.

#17 petethemanc

petethemanc

Rookie

• 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

No real need for them yet, single sided do the job for me

#18 krusty_j

krusty_j

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Covers:15

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:38 AM

Micro Center carries a private label 8X DVD+R DL: $9.99 for a 10 pack. I've had good luck with them. thumbup1.gif

http://www.microcent...duct_id=0249912

#19 atozbp

atozbp

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Covers:8

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:08 PM

Still too expensive here in Canada. I'm hoping they drop in price fairly soon. Not that long ago blank DVD's were fairly expensive. Cross your fingers!!

Ya, I'm in Canada too. When I want a complete copy of an original I use the DL disks - They are 14 bucks for a pack of three and I pay 14% tax on top.
Also - I can only find 2.4X speed disks.
(That Price is about 7Pounds In the UK & about 10Dollars in the US)
Tax in Canada is killing us.
Also I find we are the last to get the newer tech idems.
I Decrypt and Shrink everything I can.

#20 Budster

Budster

EX Aussie Complaints Dept

• Gold Member
  • 3,051 posts
  • Interests:Trying to stop the Wife and Daughters from KILLING me
  • Covers:3162

• Rank (last 60 days):
    14th in HD-DVD Movie
    6th in Music DVD
    2nd in Other
    4th in PSP
    8th in TV Series

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

fail to see need for a dual layer disk yet, am able to copy original dual layer disks onto 1 standard dvd
Posted ImagePosted Image

R.I.P
PJC