• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cp32

cp32

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:49 PM

This is a cover I started doing for the show. Any suggestions?

Attached Files

#2 testikle

testikle

Advanced Member

• 466 posts
  • Covers:2184

• Rank (last 60 days):
    15th in Anime DVD
    82nd in Blu-Ray Movie
    7th in DVD Movie
    69th in Music DVD

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:34 AM

Make the DVD icon white and fit it in the spine where .ever If you know how, it's tricky, do a full body cut out of Matthew. you'll need to focus on softening the edges.and fit it in the spine Or, cheat and frame it. Fit it in the spine also.

Look at other TV covers and see what they've done for "GRIDS" on the back bottom. Do an IMDB search on cast members....production company's and go get their logos and MAKE THEM TRANSPARRENT!

I did a hell of a LUKE CAGE you might to to check out.  You'll really get good ideas from other designers.

sad thing is ,the quality in here is sometimes inferior. I'm not allowed to direct you to other sites, but they're out there. The only reason I say that is for you to look at some fine work only to get ideas.. I'm not saying leave Freecovers. It has the highest volume and visibility of anyone else. Important to me.. If you need me, I'm here. I'm not an Admin yet, but soon..

Hell man...Now I want to do the cover! He He

just noticed: Center him on the back cover and frame the plot on the right the same as the left...it will leave you more room at the bottom. that is unless you want a more open cover

#3 Hacker Jack

Hacker Jack

Hired Assassin

• 532 posts
  • Location:That little place in my head the Dr. told me to stay away from...
  • Covers:1602

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

There is nothing wrong with sending him links to other sites in a PM.  You are correct about Freecovers being more lax in their submissions.  But you will also find that a lot of the people who now make what I would call the most professional looking covers and labels got their start at Freecovers.  This is where I learned and have always stood by this site because of that.  But anyone who actually knows me knows that I also upload on other sites on occasion.

But keep in mind that any criticism you receive from members here is constructive criticism and not meant to attack your abilities. I left many of my early stuff on site so I can always remember what I started with and where I am today.  Depending on what program you are using, many of us will send you templates and fonts via PM to help you out.

Take care and Welcome to Freecovers.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 testikle

testikle

Advanced Member

• 466 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    15th in Anime DVD
    82nd in Blu-Ray Movie
    7th in DVD Movie
    69th in Music DVD

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

Listen to Jack..He knows his SH..tuff.
I started working on the cover. first major issue is ,because of the time period, there are virtually no decent Hi-Res poster or title logos to pick from. I would look for some type of a neon light font and put it against a starburst of some kind mimicking the low res title that is available. Also, make the back cover font more readable. White I think would look a whole lot better with some kind of dropshadow either a blur or solid.

You're on the right track with your "WIP" (work in progress")

#5 cp32

cp32

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

I am female lol

I usually use Photoshop , Illustrator for most things.

That Matthew Star Image on the Center was a nightmare.I was only able to locate low resolution , small Jpegs that were very bad to started.

It literally took a week just to clean his image up . The Background is from NASA nice Hi res for that part, but getting Peter Barton images ..No such luck. Louis Gossette Jr wont be  a problem. This was the first thing he did on tv . ( showing my age)

If any one wants to take over finish it go right ahead :thumbsup:  .

Thanks for the help :w00t:

#6 Hacker Jack

Hacker Jack

Hired Assassin

• 532 posts
  • Location:That little place in my head the Dr. told me to stay away from...
  • Covers:1602

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:25 PM

There is an Add-On for photoshop called On One that allows you to take lower resolution graphics and turn them into a much higher size and resolution with very little image loss if any depending on how far you need to enlarge it.  I use it all the time because I too do a lot of older labels that don't have a great selection of hi res graphics available.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 testikle

testikle

Advanced Member

• 466 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    15th in Anime DVD
    82nd in Blu-Ray Movie
    7th in DVD Movie
    69th in Music DVD

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

My friend, you're not going to learn by not doing...I find that if I get away from it and come back to it later things get a lot clearer with different fresher ideas...Don't quit! you've got a nice start!

#8 cp32

cp32

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:55 PM

I was just kidding. I love creating custom dvd menus, buttons, and case art. It can be a bit aggravating at times locating sources.

The end product is well worth it. :thumbup:

it also my major at KSU so  I can't very well  walk away from it. :D In addition  part of my hobby as a video collector- then got into editing, video restoration- Photoshop plays a major role in so many aspects of video. People think it is just a photographer's tool. It is.. but much more.

I tell ya Photoshop is a walk in the park compared to after effects. lol 7 seven steps to create one cool effect :wacko:

So many great case art on this forum. Fantastic work!! :thumbsup: