8 replies to this topic

#1 ghostface44

ghostface44

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 2 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

I am wondering what settings and templates you guys use when printing DVD covers. I am using undercover10, with template settings

Left. 0.0

Right 0.0

Width 7.25

Length 10.75

I am using A4 paper setting with Portrait orientation.

When i cut out and put into a new DVD case i notice its to small but just a little bit, and no matter what settings i use fixes the issue its either cut off, or to small for the cover.

I am using a Brother HL-4040CN printer

Is there a better setting i should be using? I can't seem to figure out if my printer is printing with or without a border too and there seems to be no option to turn the border on or off.. or even if to see if i am using one. It seems if i added some more height to it, that would make up for the area but if i add more height it starts cutting off the picture.

Any suggestions on what i am doing wrong? I am looking for a perfect print that will cover all the area of the DVD case. Right now i can cover 92-95% of the case. Is it my printer, program, template that is cauing this problem.

#2 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Mostly, I like anything that goes bang when I pull the trigger.
  • Covers:568

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

There is a lot of variation in DVD cases. I use 14mm standard width premium cases & the paper covers fit some perfectly while short in others. I have to manually adjust each cover based on my experience with the case I'm planning to use.

Why in the world are you using a template program for case covers? They're simple rectangles. I use Apache OpenOffice Write with a document template set for the typical cover. I import a picture & stretch or shrink it to fit the template area (this keeps the aspect ratio intact.) For some covers, I have to exceed the template border by as much as 1/4".

I use a cheap Epson WorkForce 2530.

I just look at the pictures.

#3 ghostface44

ghostface44

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 2 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:10 AM

Hi NYC Reload!

I used to use undercover program maybe back in 2009-2010, then i stopped using it. There wasn't a problem when i 1st used it, it was a simple as simple as select DVD cover setup, paste cover picture, print. The template was automattically set up pending on what option you selected via DVD, bluray, cd label whatever. But since then i've moved around a lot, and have gotten a new PC. When i added my laser printer back onto my new PC, i am experiecing this problem where the cover is just alittle to small on one side, and when i try to raise the height of the template that undercover uses it cuts off parts of the cover. I also never had to set the paper to a A4 setting and use the template settings up above.

I am going to dig around and see if there's a data CD that came with the printer maybe i can use that to set it up properly. According to the brother website you can do borderless prints you just gotta check the box, but i fiddled around setting and properties for the printer in my control panel but i can't find what they're talking about.

I also tried the paint on windows, some program called gimp, and another one and all 3 programs either printed the covers small or oversided.

#4 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hi NYC Reload!

I used to use undercover program maybe back in 2009-2010, then i stopped using it. There wasn't a problem when i 1st used it, it was a simple as simple as select DVD cover setup, paste cover picture, print. The template was automattically set up pending on what option you selected via DVD, bluray, cd label whatever. But since then i've moved around a lot, and have gotten a new PC. When i added my laser printer back onto my new PC, i am experiecing this problem where the cover is just alittle to small on one side, and when i try to raise the height of the template that undercover uses it cuts off parts of the cover. I also never had to set the paper to a A4 setting and use the template settings up above.

I am going to dig around and see if there's a data CD that came with the printer maybe i can use that to set it up properly. According to the brother website you can do borderless prints you just gotta check the box, but i fiddled around setting and properties for the printer in my control panel but i can't find what they're talking about.

I also tried the paint on windows, some program called gimp, and another one and all 3 programs either printed the covers small or oversided.

Yeah, sounds like it's your printer settings. Some printers set hard borders you just can't get past. It's for the protection of the printer from having loose ink sprayed beyond the paper, but yours is just set too tight. Don't know anything about Brother printers except I never liked them, or Canon. No offense. There's gotta be an advanced option somewhere in the printer to relieve those borders. Keep looking. Sorry I can't help.

#5 Brudas

Brudas

brainboss

• Gold Member
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:PhotoShop
    Films
  • Covers:232

• Rank (last 60 days):
    39th in DVD Movie

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Maybe this wil help. I use a cheap Canon printer and the NERO cover designer. I know  i must do a lot of actions but once you get the hang of it it's verry easy. Once when you have set the templates O.K. you can't go wrong For thinpack covers I cut the cover in tree parts and rezise the spine to 7 mm paste them in cover designer and voilla out coms te cover. For the cutting of the cover you need a program like Photoshop or Painshop Pro. O btw my printer also prints the labels on printable disks. And the price was € 60 tree years ago.

#6 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:47 PM

Maybe this wil help. I use a cheap Canon printer and the NERO cover designer. I know  i must do a lot of actions but once you get the hang of it it's verry easy. Once when you have set the templates O.K. you can't go wrong For thinpack covers I cut the cover in tree parts and rezise the spine to 7 mm paste them in cover designer and voilla out coms te cover. For the cutting of the cover you need a program like Photoshop or Painshop Pro. O btw my printer also prints the labels on printable disks. And the price was € 60 tree years ago.

I tried both Brother & Canon years ago & gave up in favor of HP because the drivers & support software for the other two were so intrusive & clunky. HP finally got so bloated I dropped them & went to Epson. So far, Epson has been reasonable, though they sure are proud of their inks. Their new models with the external reservoirs are tempting me, though. Never needing to change an ink cartridge again sure is attractive, even if the printer costs 3 times as much.

I still don't see why anyone needs to use template software for printing a simple cover. Labels, sure. I use SureThing. But for covers, it's just so easy to import a JPG into a Word Processor, size it & print. I like OpenOffice, but I have Office 10 on a couple of machines & use Word on them. Overall, I prefer OpenOffice. It has better features & it's free.

#7 eitltd

eitltd

Facilitator

• Gold Member
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Computer Art, Video, Photo Editing, Reading, Michigan and Patriot football
  • Covers:75

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

I have been using an Epson for my DVDs, because it is the easiest printer for printing directly on the CD/DVD. The Epson CD/DVD software is extremely easy to use. For the case covers, I've played around with dozens of programs, but Photoshop still does more than any of them.

#8 AVdude

AVdude

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 3 posts
  • Covers:27

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:04 AM

Just got undercover 10 today, and on my epson WF-3620 it works like a champ. even did a custom slimline 7mm back to 14mm template to see how it would print and it worked darn well. in your printer settings make sure the border is not set to 0.5" (common on my old brother printers) otherwise the label will always be off as it can't resize to the full needed size.

#9 Lucysnowy

Lucysnowy

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 22 posts
  • Covers:8

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:33 AM

My DVD box is set at Width..184.2  Height ....274.3   This has been the same from the old Undercover XP.    I still have both settings.