• 380 posts
  • Covers:2052

• Rank (last 60 days):
    15th in Anime DVD
    82nd in Blu-Ray Movie
    7th in DVD Movie
    69th in Music DVD

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:09 AM

If your going to steal a cover, why did he steal one that belongs to a mod, ME! I've denied it. It was a  "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them" dvd

He put a different front on it. However that back and spine were my design. Some of those studio logos were also my design .I will not be approving anything from him. I might consider an apology.

#2 Hacker Jack

Hacker Jack

Hired Assassin

• 532 posts
  • Location:That little place in my head the Dr. told me to stay away from...
  • Covers:1602

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

We frown on using other peoples work on Freecovers.  Most of you have the talent and shouldn't need to borrow and steal portions of others work.  Your uploads are are always quite tidy and we appreciate that but to be honest I hate getting PM's from members from other sites requesting that their work be removed from our site.  It makes us all look bad and I'm not real good at apologizing.  I

I think most of you know how I feel about artwork that is uploaded.  It obviously came from the production company who made the fiml,album ect.  Most of the artwork we use is already copyrighted by these studio's.  I believe once uploaded it becomes fair game but when requested for take down I oblige the original creator and remove it.  Please try to make our job easier.  If you must I understand snagging title treatment but TT can normally be found on the movies home page.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 honeymooners

honeymooners

Rookie

• 14 posts
  • Interests:Film Collecting, painting, photoshop.
  • Covers:675

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

After three years on this site and 675 uploads why would I intentionally 'Steal' someone else's cover? I have reworked layouts adding and subtracting different photos, logos and legal banter but never just slapped my name on a cover and called it my own. On Detroit Rock City I remember using old studio logos from Warner Home Video (VHS style)for my spine, wrapping some of the front page artwork onto the back, inserting pictures and removing some old legal type to free up more room on the back for the design layout I even centered the main characters on the front for a more pleasing look. I try to keep my covers clean and within guidelines of the site and would never steal anyone else's cover, so some sort of mistake was made somewhere long the line but if you think I downright copied your cover I assure you that I did not, that was not my intention knowing the time I put into it and apologize for any unintentional artwork you say I've stolen. I just find it highly insulting that you would call me a THIEF outright for everyone to see without first giving me any chance to explain anything to you about your concerns. I've done artwork my entire life and have never put my name on someone else's artwork knowing it wasn't mine, I don't get any sense of pride in doing this. Again I'll apologize if you think I 'Stole' your cover, but believe me it certainly was not my intention and from now on I will look more closely at my source material and review all the covers I have uploaded to compare with others to see if this has happened to me.

#4 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Mostly, I like anything that goes bang when I pull the trigger.
  • Covers:568

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

Stealing is in the eye of the beholder. As Hacker Jack has pointed out, numerous times, anyone who uses a poster from IMPA or any other site, is 'stealing' the work of the person who made the poster. Most people who make covers here do this.

As to 'stealing' someone else's cover, that isn't limited to just using the whole cover, untouched & uploading it as your own, though many have done just that, but it also includes using the back, while you may make a new spine & even use a different poster for the front. The fact remains, if you didn't compose the entire cover from your own research & collection of images, credits & logos, then you're stealing someone else's work.

While the person who made the original cover from images found on the Internet was 'stealing' those from their originators, once they've composed them into a cover, that work becomes, at least within the cover community, an original work. Any part of that original work that is identifiable by the designer, copied & used by another constitutes 'theft'. The degree to which such use extends is immaterial, at that point. Most cover sites will take down such posts, if the original designer/artist complains. It's a courtesy, not a law.

Anyone who makes covers should be using their own images. Yes, many will use the same original studio images, which is why more experienced artists won't use a stock poster, unaltered, to make a final cover. Adjustments, cropping & editing is usually done to make it unique. When these are identifiable, theft is much more obvious. Simply changing logos or stills or altering a spine on an existing finished cover does not make it 'your own'.

I just look at the pictures.

#5 2getted

2getted

To Each Their Own

• Gold Member
  • 110 posts
  • Covers:508

• Rank (last 60 days):
    25th in DVD Movie

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

After three years on this site and 675 uploads why ....
.... On Detroit Rock City I remember using old studio logos ...

I think you might have this in the wrong post and it should be at the post titled Honeymooner "THIEF"

Just saying... :whistling:

Laughing.man.gif

#6 honeymooners

honeymooners

Rookie

• 14 posts
  • Interests:Film Collecting, painting, photoshop.
  • Covers:675

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

Testikle, I never even did a cover for 'Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them' let alone upload it!.  You'd better find out who downloaded it because it was not me, and as for Detroit Rock City I sure would like to see a side by side comparison, I know where I got my resource material and it wasn't from you. It came directly from the original cover sold in stores that I modified and changed to my liking.  -  I'm suspecting some identity theft going on around here.   Honeymooners.