#1 Rob

Rob

Developer

• Admin
  • 801 posts
  • Covers:23

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

VirtualDub: Joining AVI files

If you have multiple AVI files that you would like to join together (like if you made a DVDRip before and ended up with two 700MB AVI files, then you might want to join them together) then this guide will show you how to do just that with VirtualDUB.

Introduction & Requirements

VirtualDUB - You need this excellent tool to join two AVI files together.

This will not work for files that have different framerates, codecs or resolutions. The idea is that we will add the two files together quickly without having to do any re-encoding.

Step. 1 - File --> Open Video File

Launch VirtualDub and open the first AVI file in the sequence of videos you want to join by selecting File--> Open video file.

Step. 2 - Open First AVI file

Find the first AVI file, select it and then click Open. You will now see it open in VirtualDUB. If the program says it's unable to locate a decompressor, then you will have to find the appropriate codec at AfterDawn. I recommend you install FFDShow.

Step. 3 - Scroll to the end of the file

Drag the slider straight to the end of the video stream. Make sure it is set on the very last frame.

Step. 4 - File --> Append AVI Segment

Now after you have made sure the last frame is selected, click File --> Append AVI Segment and the File Browser will pop up again.

Step. 5 - Open Second AVI file

Locate the second AVI file, select it and click Open, the second file should now be added to the end of the first file. Now this is where you will get problems if you have file with separate framerates, resolutions or codecs.

Step. 6 - Video --> Direct Stream Copy

Now we have to make sure that you don't end up with decompressed Video (which would probably result in a file 100's of GB's in size). Click Video --> Direct Stream Copy. This is very important, do not forget this.

Step. 7 - Audio --> Direct Stream Copy

Just as we had to with Video, we just have to make sure that you won't wind up with uncompressed Audio (LPCM). Click Audio --> Direct Stream Copy. This is very important, do not forget this.

Step. 8 - File --> Save As AVI

Now you are ready to save an AVI file. Click File --> Save As AVI, select where you want to save a new AVI file and then it will only take a few minutes at most to save it.

Any other troubles

If you have any troubles with this method it is most likely due to different sampling rates for the audios in each piece. To eliminate this problem (or cure it if you have tried using regular Virtual Dub) you will need a modification of Virtual Dub coined Virtual Dub Mp3 Freeze which is available here: Virtual Dub MP3 Freeze

Run that and use above guide as normal.

#2 snips

snips

Elite Member

• Elite Member
  • 1,368 posts
  • Interests:computer games <br />dvds
  • Covers:65

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:22 PM

or you could just use dvd2one

#3 rps1

rps1

Rookie

• 10 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

DVD2one puts the largest file first not always the best idea if you watch the end of the film then the beginning

#4 sb4100

sb4100

Sb4100

• Elite Member
  • 6,533 posts
  • Interests:Many Interests
  • Covers:30890

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in Anime DVD
    2nd in DVD Movie
    4th in HD-DVD Movie
    2nd in Music DVD
    19th in Other Console
    3rd in Playstation 3
    2nd in TV Series
    19th in VCD

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

nice one didnt know this..

#5 docsavage

docsavage

Custom Extraordinaire

• Elite Member
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Tinternet, Sci-Fi, History, making custom covers/labels (of course) . Also I'm extremely partial to jelly babies.
  • Covers:623

• Rank (last 60 days):
    48th in DVD Movie
    81st in TV Series

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

I agree that VDUB is the best App to join files but....

I use AVI-MUX GUI for speed, this free little App also does many other things like...adding subs,re-syncing audio even splitting/joining MKV files.

I use it regularly :thumbup:

21c56jd.png

y11tk.gif

#6 StD

StD

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 317 posts
  • Covers:347

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

I agree that VDUB is the best App to join files but....

I use AVI-MUX GUI for speed, this free little App also does many other things like...adding subs,re-syncing audio even splitting/joining MKV files.

I use it regularly :thumbup:

I think this thread (two years old) is about "How to do it in VD". None is interested what you're doing instead of that... You haven't said anything new to VD, nor what crap you're using. :whistling1: It's simply OT.
Are you an posthunter? :whistling:
IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT

#7 docsavage

docsavage

Custom Extraordinaire

• Elite Member
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Tinternet, Sci-Fi, History, making custom covers/labels (of course) . Also I'm extremely partial to jelly babies.
  • Covers:623

• Rank (last 60 days):
    48th in DVD Movie
    81st in TV Series

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

I think this thread (two years old) is about "How to do it in VD". None is interested what you're doing instead of that... You haven't said anything new to VD, nor what crap you're using. :whistling1: It's simply OT.
Are you an posthunter? :whistling:

Posted Image

21c56jd.png

y11tk.gif