• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_Omega

Alpha_Omega

Rookie

• 10 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:20 AM

I want to download movies and someone was talking about downloading through a newsgroup.
Can someone recommend a good one and how you do it. New to all this.
blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

Any Help Welcome, Thanks thumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif

#2 Pelle84

Pelle84

• 39 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, Movies, Sports, etc...
  • Covers:18

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:40 AM

Well the best way is to download torrent movies, here are few websites I use:

(Edited)

and basically you need a torrent program to download the movies...I'm using BitLord 1.1 but there are many you can find and use. thumbup.gif

#3 Rafter242

Rafter242

Rookie

• 15 posts
  • Interests:Music and photography.

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

I find the newsgroups to be more valuable than (most) torrent sites.
Just Google "binary newsreader" and search for dvd-r groups.

Mark

#4 ste1975

ste1975

• 37 posts
  • Covers:25

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

Hi there!

My server is powerusenet.
My client is Grabit
My usenet indexing site is Newzbin

Far better than torrent sites. biggrin.gif
user posted image

#5 sb4100

sb4100

Sb4100

• Elite Member
  • 6,533 posts
  • Interests:Many Interests
  • Covers:30890

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in Anime DVD
    2nd in DVD Movie
    4th in HD-DVD Movie
    2nd in Music DVD
    19th in Other Console
    3rd in Playstation 3
    2nd in TV Series
    19th in VCD

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

ive found torrents a bit slow to download. much prefer to download in RAR format and then just extract it. only around 10mins to get movie (if you go preminum 3 per month roughly). Check out Tradershome.net - cant find what your after request it in the request section on th

#6 donkeyteeth

donkeyteeth

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • Covers:7

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

newsgroups imho are a lot better than torrent sites, and usually whatever connection you are on you will dload at that speed
i use

(Edited)
newsleecher to dload them with

and newshosting for a server $14.99 a month , just less than 9 quid

did use torrents about 2 year ago , but would not swap back now , this is only my opinion, hope it helps mate

#7 boylan

boylan

Advanced Member

• 373 posts
  • Covers:64

• Rank (last 60 days):
    17\:th\: in Other

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

i use newzbin and also passed onto few of my mates who also enjoy useing it better than the torrent site and its cheap to use
user posted imageuser posted image

#8 fsp01

fsp01

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:35 AM

i use (Edited) and find it very reliable

#9 klepptoman

klepptoman

Mild Mannered Computer Tech

• 25 posts
  • Covers:137

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:13 AM

You can't beat a good Private torrent site for Variety & Speed!

#10 theburnking

theburnking

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 28 posts
  • Covers:8

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE(Alpha_Omega @ Dec 25 2006, 10:20 AM)
I want to download movies and someone was talking about downloading through a newsgroup.
  blink.gif  blink.gif  blink.gif

Any Help Welcome, Thanks  thumbup1.gif  thumbup1.gif  thumbup1.gif

View Post

I use (Edited) they are fantastic. It's a bit tricky to catch them for open registrations but members are given invitation codes and when I get one I will pass it on to you.
But you can keep going to thier site around Friday's and Saturdays to try and catch them on open registration. cheers.gif
user posted image
user posted image

#11 Stultus

Stultus

Rookie

• 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(theburnking @ Jun 9 2007, 09:30 AM)
I use Demonoid.com they are fantastic. It's a bit tricky to catch them for open registrations but members are given invitation codes and when I get one I will pass it on to you.
But you can keep going to thier site around Friday's and Saturdays to try and catch them on open registration.    cheers.gif

View Post

(Edited)

/recommends Forte Agent
//beware of Dutch spammers who never identify their stuff as PAL
///if there is no .nfo file = spammer or idiot - don't DL

#12 donkeyteeth

donkeyteeth

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • Covers:7

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(ste1975 @ Jan 7 2007, 02:23 PM)

Far better than torrent sites. biggrin.gif

View Post

agree 100% with you. Anyone who says torrents are better than news groups ae on a different wavelength.
If you get a good server giganews or newshosting you can dload as fast as what your isp speed is, mine is 2.0meg --and i usually get 2.25/2.35 meg very often

#13 Subtitlefinder

Subtitlefinder

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE(Alpha_Omega @ Dec 25 2006, 04:20 AM)
  blink.gif  blink.gif  blink.gif

Any Help Welcome, Thanks  thumbup1.gif  thumbup1.gif  thumbup1.gif

View Post

If you don't want to have to worry about downloading headers you should really use newzbin . Soon they will have a special Christmas promotion where their prices are half off. They also have a free nzb of the day. They use to do free trials every now and then but with the Christmas promotion you could easily try it. If you like it you can always upgrade to more days if you wanted. I use to just use the free site and you still can but its a little more work. Basically if the post has a nfo file all you have to do is look at the nfo file name and search for those headers in a news reader program to find all the files for that post! Newzbin even has a free unofficial forum now but they use to have a official one. It was a sad day when they had to remove it but it was either the forum or the site. Here is a really nice newsgroup guide to get you started. (EDITED)

I would recommend you start off with a free provider so you can get the hang of it. Then if you want more features like greater retention, better completion, and faster speeds you can always upgrade to a paid provider. Though if your isp doesn't have a great free newsgroup provider, most don't but you may get lucky, you can get a small block account like at Astraweb (EDITED) If you prefer a smaller block account there is always (EDITED)What isp do you have ? If you want to use newsgroups where you don't have to mess with any of this stuff then there is always the paid newsgroup provider easynews which is really good but can get quite expensive if you like to get a lot! Everything is web based though. Nothing to install or worry about. Everything is extracted for you as well for the most part. Some people prefer Easynews because it makes newsgroups very simple and on the go! You can use easynews on any computer and don't have to worry about if the os supports the newsgroup client you are using if you like using linux, macs, or any other os. Easynews has its advantages. You can even earn free gigs from giganews and the gigs do rollover so if you don't use them for a while you can add up quite a few gigs. Newsgroups is a really great community to get started in though because you always get your maximum download speed as long as your newsgroup provider is good, your isp doesn't speed cap but there are ways around that with newsgroups, and your newsgroup server is not to far away.

Please read the rules!. Your post has been edited by Budster as it contained off site links

#14 devilsmaster

devilsmaster

• 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

Well, I also downloaded movies from net but i have never heard about this kind of downloading.
PSP Games

#15 ___DOUGIE___

___DOUGIE___

Rookie

• 19 posts
  • Covers:64

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

U Torrent 1.7.7 stable with ip filter and ports forwarded will do the business...
user posted image
user posted image

#16 fernackerpan1

fernackerpan1

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(boylan @ Jan 28 2007, 07:26 PM)
i use newzbin and also passed onto few of my mates who also enjoy useing it better than the torrent site and its cheap to use

View Post

confused.gif For the fear of sounding thick can you do a break down on how i go about getting started ie: put this there then place that here ..It would realy help me as i tried doing it once then got all confused..HELP!!! sad.gif

#17 raythebaker

raythebaker

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

there will always be a difference of opinion over torrent sites over newsgroups but if your happy with what your getting and ease of use then so be it

#18 tinkywinkywoo

tinkywinkywoo

Rookie

• 25 posts
  • Covers:127

• Rank (last 60 days):
    49th in DVD Movie

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(raythebaker @ Nov 29 2009, 06:11 PM)
there will always be a difference of opinion over torrent sites over newsgroups but if your happy with what your getting and ease of use then so  be it

View Post

the main difference is that torrents and any p2p downloading is trace-able and downloading through a newsgroup or private FTP site, with ssl encryption is not

hope that helps

#19 jinnie

jinnie

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Films obviously, my family, music, reading, If there is one thing I could not live without it would be books. Back alot better but I don't want to agravate it so not back into the fitness yet!! Swimming, specially with my kids, its such a giggle, but not done for a while, I'll sit and read and watch them having fun instead. How come your mind goes blank at these things huh?
  • Covers:166

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

I subscribe to a private ftp site and I don't crap myself everytime I read of a bust via torrents.

Not sure about newsgroups, but I like what I use and feel safe.

Which to me is the most important thing.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#20 SPATECH

SPATECH

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(jinnie @ Dec 4 2009, 04:46 PM)
I subscribe to a private ftp site and I don't crap myself everytime I read of a bust via torrents.
Not sure about newsgroups, but I like what I use and feel safe.

Which to me is the most important thing.

View Post

yeah a private torrent group would be the best!