• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 Covergal

Covergal

Advanced Member

• 365 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Thank you Hapkidomeister ..Nice post and very insightful .. I personally started to do just that deny the ones that were incorect and got a lot of abusive pms as a result..

Staff cannot send messages or emails from the upload/editing page, we have to come to the forums to do that, so it takes too long, also a lot of uploaders do not visit the forums therefore do not read messages. I have asked Max for a shoutbox on the upload page so we can at least post why a cover was denied, be able to give advice, remind members how to title their covers correctly and to praise the covers that deserve it.. Amongst other suggestions I have asked again today and will hopefully get an answer soon..

I would also like to see a mentoring system, where those that can do - helping those that are just starting out.. :)

What goes around comes around

#82 tmscrapbook

tmscrapbook

Advanced Member

• 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Reading, sewing, exercise, designing spacesaver dvd covers, visiting the grandkids, hanging out with my husband, and watching the Seahawks :)
  • Covers:8553

• Rank (last 60 days):
    8th in Blu-Ray Movie
    15th in DVD Movie
    12th in Soundtrack
    4th in TV Series

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

How difficult would it be to program the following options into our existing approval method?

Once the "Deny" button is clicked, instead of simple a "Yes" or "No" option, but a short list of reasons why a cover/label was denied if the "Yes" button is clicked. Something like:
1) Doesn't meet minimum size requirements - with a link to that thread in the forum
2) Not cropped well
3) Blurry
4) Etc. - Anything else I haven't already mentioned

Then this reason would be listed the next time the uploader tries to upload something just like they can see how a moderator has edited their upload. Logically, this seems like an good way to remedy the amount of work each moderator has to do, in addition to getting the message to the uploader.

Since I'm not a programmer, I don't know how much work this would involve, but I really think it would be a great improvement.

#83 Hapkidomeister

Hapkidomeister

• Gold Member
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Fine Woodworking, reading, horses
  • Covers:394

• Rank (last 60 days):
    21st in DVD Movie

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

tmscrapbook,

That would certainly be a good start and improvement. As mentioned above, it would accomplish 3 things: 1) Save valuable time and effort on the part of the Mods that are responsible for approving uploads, 2) Help the uploader to improve their work, and 3) Help improve the quality of items on this site.

@ Covergal: personally, if someone sends a Mod an "abustive PM" because an item was rejected for not meeting the required guidelines, I think that individual should be penalized and no further uploads would be approved for a set period of time. There is absolutely no valid reason why a Mod should be castigated for doing his/her job. I'm sorry to learn that you have been treated so poorly. :(
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

#84 TheOnlyMrVideo

TheOnlyMrVideo

• Gold Member
  • 50 posts
  • Covers:15

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Region code Area

0 Informal term meaning "worldwide". Region 0 is not an official setting; discs that bear the region 0 symbol either have no flag set or have region 1–6 flags set.

Sort-of correct.  If no region flags are set in a DVD, it will not play anywhere.  The way DVD region codes work is that the flag has to be set for the region it will play in.  So, to make it "region free" means that the flags for 1 thru 6 must be set.

#85 n3mesis

n3mesis

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Covers:162

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:41 AM

gotcha

#86 TheOnlyMrVideo

TheOnlyMrVideo

• Gold Member
  • 50 posts
  • Covers:15

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

Approximately 1440 x 1440 for a standard Disc label - for both DVD Movie and Music CDs @300dpi and 700 x 700 @150dpi.
NOTHING UNDER 150dpi will be accepted - NOTHING!!!!!

Over the years I've learned a few things about scanning covers and CD/DVD/Blu-ray discs.  I'll pass a little of that on here in this posting.

First off, I do all of my work using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.  Photoshop is used to interface with the scanner and do needed work on the image after the scan.  I use Illustrator to do the actual printing to my Epson Stylus Photo R1800.  Yes, Epson supplied software to do that, but Illustrator gives me greater control.  Plus, Epson uses a paper size of A4 when printing onto media, using the upper-left corner.  I have a template for.

For inkjet printable media, you will find that the actual printable area is only 1400 pixels @ 300 dpi.  The center's non-printable area is normally 250 pixels.  In terms of using a measurement value of points within Illustrator, the width is 336 points and the knockout center hole is 60 points.

Does the printed artwork on released product ever go out to 1400 pixels?  Not that I've ever seen.  1350-1390 is what I've run across.  YMMV.

So, what does one do in order to upload media artwork that is at least 1400 pixels (IMHO, the minimum should be 1400 @ 300 dpi, not 1440, or 150 dpi uploads for quality reasons)?

Scan the media at a minimum of 600 dpi, or if your scanner has a native dpi of at least 1200 dpi, use it.  IMHO, scanning at the highest native dpi allows for easier removal of dust specs and other issues with the original media.  Plus, as a general rule you want to scale down, never scale up.

With Photoshop it is easy to determine the width of the media's printed area using the measure tool and then use the elliptical marquee tool to copy, or cut, the media's printable area and place it into a new canvas.  At that point you can use the elliptical marquee tool to knock out the center hole.

If you scanned at 600 dpi and you found that the printed area was 2760 pixels (1390 @ 300 dpi), you can change the canvas size to 2800 pixels and then rescale to 300 dpi, creating an canvas that is 1400 pixels, but an image that really only has a printable area of 1380 pixels, which would leave a white outer area on the printed media.  Some people do not like that.  I personally prefer a 1:1 image.  In order to satisfy both types of users, instead of rescaling the image to 300 dpi, leave it at 600 dpi (rescale 1200 dpi scans to 600 dpi) and upload it.  That way the user who prefers 1:1 images can just rescale to 300 dpi (if the printing program doesn't work with 600 dpi very well), or the user can resize the image so that the printed extends out to 1400 pixels.  In both cases, in image is rescaled down, and never up.

Otherwise, if you prefer, you can rescale the 2760 pixel 600 dpi image to 1400 pixels @ 300 dpi and upload that.

Never ever scan an image at a value less than 300 dpi and then scale that image up to 1400 pixels @ 300 dpi.  That makes for a very crappy image that will not make the downloader happy.

Also, save the JPG image at the best possible quality.  Never work on a JPG image and then save it as a JPG image, especially multiple times.  The image will look like crap.  Save your original scan as a BMP, TIFF, or a Photoshop PSD file if you want to keep it with layers.

It is easy to create a quality product, without spending hours trying to do so.

If anyone has any questions, just let me know.

#87 jvergis

jvergis

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Covers:320

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

Please remove my upload cela 211 (2009) who is awaiting approval

#88 Moljude1

Moljude1

Rookie

• 18 posts
  • Interests:pets music films travel,
  • Covers:16

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

What if the cover has NOT FOR RENTAL ON?

#89 Murphy041270

Murphy041270

Super MOD

• Elite Member
  • 7,531 posts
  • Interests:Football and Reading books
  • Covers:34

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

What if the cover has NOT FOR RENTAL ON?

Then it will stand like this What We Did On Our Holiday (2015) R2 Because that is retail, If it hasn't got NOT FOR RENTAL on it 

then it would have CUSTOM after R2 in the title.

Like I said in the other thread we're gonna check every covers that need approving closely

#90 nimbus882

nimbus882

Rookie

• Elite Member
  • 14 posts
  • Covers:2813

• Rank (last 60 days):
    10th in Blu-Ray Movie
    28th in Music CD
    25th in Music DVD
    14th in Soundtrack

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

Hi

When I've scanned my covers and discs I use a free piece of software called Photo Magician http://www.photomagi...software.co.uk/. I can then resize the images by pixels that this site requires.

#91 bridges

bridges

• Gold Member
  • 43 posts
  • Covers:913

• Rank (last 60 days):
    97th in Blu-Ray Movie
    41st in PC Games
    7th in TV Series

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

hi there, so 300 dpi is the mininum that is ok by me. I scan at 600 dpi is that ok. if not, please let me know.

Cheers.

#92 tricky1ricky

tricky1ricky

Ol' Git

• Gold Member
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Repairing other people's pc's, watching films & eating Italian food
  • Covers:380

• Rank (last 60 days):
    72nd in DVD Movie

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

hi there, so 300 dpi is the mininum that is ok by me. I scan at 600 dpi is that ok. if not, please let me know.

Cheers.

300dpi is the magic number:

example:

1440 x 1440 @ 300dpi & 700 x 700 @ 150dpi. for a standard Disc label

3240 x 2175 @300dpi & 1500 x 1000 @150dpi. for a standard DVD Cover

NOTHING UNDER 150dpi will be accepted

Just remembering that people have to download, and if the pixel/dpi ratings are too high it will take longish times to download especially as some of our members may be using dialup (god forbid)

So high pixel ratings/sizes are ok for your own private use but remember those that have limited download availability!

#93 bridges

bridges

• Gold Member
  • 43 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    97th in Blu-Ray Movie
    41st in PC Games
    7th in TV Series

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

Hi Max, what is wrong with the uploader. My uploads have been sitting and waiting for the past two days. Please let me know what is wrong.

thanks.

#94 tricky1ricky

tricky1ricky

Ol' Git

• Gold Member
  • 194 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    72nd in DVD Movie

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

Hi Max, what is wrong with the uploader. My uploads have been sitting and waiting for the past two days. Please let me know what is wrong.

thanks.

I think we've got to be a little patient, mine have just gone through after 2 days.

I don't think anything serious, just an overload of work!

#95 bridges

bridges

• Gold Member
  • 43 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    97th in Blu-Ray Movie
    41st in PC Games
    7th in TV Series

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:12 AM

I think we've got to be a little patient, mine have just gone through after 2 days.

I don't think anything serious, just an overload of work!

Thanks for that info

#96 bridges

bridges

• Gold Member
  • 43 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    97th in Blu-Ray Movie
    41st in PC Games
    7th in TV Series

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

Hi you say to write what is written on the front cover. Well i did that and Hacker Jack renamed it WHY.

The Title name is  Orange Is The New Black Season Three which is what is on the cover.

Then it was rewritten  as Orange Is The New Black Season 3

Please REPLY Cheers

#97 tricky1ricky

tricky1ricky

Ol' Git

• Gold Member
  • 194 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    72nd in DVD Movie

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

As you asked in the Gold Member forum - No need to post twice the same question by the way!

but here's what was the answers

Also using numbers helps to hopefully keep in chronological order

So 4 would come after 3 | 8 after 7 etc etc

otherwise four would come before three and eight would come before seven (in alphabetical order)

Not in chronological order

and as Monte Carlos [moderator] said:

Because we use numbers for the season not letters, that's all.

hope that helps

#98 Stafa220

Stafa220

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:41 AM

Hello I'm new to the site and I wanna know how do I find covers on here, im lost on how to get covers

#99 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Mostly, I like anything that goes bang when I pull the trigger.
  • Covers:568

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:55 AM

Hello I'm new to the site and I wanna know how do I find covers on here, im lost on how to get covers

Click on FreeCovers.net in the upper left side of the screen in the dark blue banner. When you get to that page, type in the title you want in the search window. You can't find covers here. This is the forums page. This is for discussions, not uploads or downloads. It's best to include the year with the title. It doesn't always work, so if you can't find it one way, try it the other.

I just look at the pictures.

#100 tricky1ricky

tricky1ricky

Ol' Git

• Gold Member
  • 194 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    72nd in DVD Movie

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

To add to Fogdude's reply

To request or download covers you need to have made 10 or more posts, or alternatively purchased a membership!