Bender's drinking buddy

• Elite Member
  • 2,604 posts
  • Covers:100

• Rank (last 60 days):
    16th in Playstation 3

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(minje @ Jan 13 2008, 11:49 AM)
a daft question probably...what does RO, R1 etc mean?

View Post

It's not a daft question, i'll try to explain it. Here goes.

R in the R1, R2 etc actually means "region".
Now the 0, 1, 2 etc refers to the actual region that dvd is from.
For a list of what region, is what number just see below.

Region code Area

0 Informal term meaning "worldwide". Region 0 is not an official setting; discs that bear the region 0 symbol either have no flag set or have region 16 flags set.

1 Bermuda, Canada, United States and U.S. territories

2 European Union, Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Denmark, Egypt, Faroe Islands, French overseas territories, Georgia, Greenland, Guernsey, Iceland, Iran, Iraq, Isle of Man, Israel, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Oman, Qatar, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, South Africa,Sweden, Swaziland, Switzerland, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Vatican City State, Yemen

3 Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Taiwan

4 Australia, New Zealand, Caribbean, Central America, Oceania, Jamaica (except French Guiana), Mexico, South America

5 African countries not explicitly included in other regions, Indian subcontinent, countries included in the former Soviet Union, Mongolia, North Korea

6 People's Republic of China (exclude Macau, Taiwan)

7 Reserved for future use (found in use on protected screener copies of MPAA-related DVDs and "media copies" of pre-releases in Asia)

8 International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships, etc.[1]

ALL Region ALL discs have all 8 flags set, allowing the disc to be played in any locale on any player.

9 Is a region number on some dvd players, that will enable you to play any region discs on your dvd player. (which makes them mutli region, which i do have some codes for).

I hope this has answered you question for you. clap.gif cheers.gif

In the words of Bender "Yep! We're Boned !!! " Futurama the movie "Benders's big score"

ReallyDangerous.jpgThisIsMyHappyFace.jpgWereOutOfIceCream.jpgtag.gif

#22 no1uno

no1uno

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 13 posts
  • Covers:133

• Rank (last 60 days):
    76th in Blu-Ray Movie

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

Ooops -- I got over-enthusiastic and uploaded a non-compliant cover (Starstruck, not rotated and not cropped) -- sorry -- I presume I should follow up with a proper one, there's no way for me to pull it back, right? Thanks! bangin.gif

#23 quietasamouse

quietasamouse

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Covers:38

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(tweetybird @ Feb 27 2008, 07:14 AM)
At present, there is not a limit to the maximum size allowed... BUT, let's be real here!!!! A CD scan 5700x5700??? It probably didn't make it through because it WAS so big!! At lot of times the image just can't travel far with all the extra weight!!!

Our minimum allowed is 150dpi and our recommended is 300dpi. If members continue to upload ultra huge file sizes - we may have to start putting a cap on the maximum allowed - as most of the other cover site do - at present - we are one of the few who do not. Just use your common sense. Scan what ever you like for yourself - but if it's over 600dpi, you might consider scaling it down before uploading. The larger the file size, 1} the longer it takes to upload - not just for you, but for us MODs too, 2} the longer it will take for a member to download. Some of our members still have dial-up and may not want to wait 30 minutes for a CD scan to download. (And we don't give extra KUDOS for super big files, either.)

The majority of our members and uploaders are not professional - just a group of people with scanners and the love of movie & CD cover art with the wanting & willingness to share. There are a few who are just learning and some who have been at it a while. Some get better with time and practice - others...well, er, we won't go there!!! Once you have gotten a chance to get a good look around - you will figure out who will give you that extra quality you are wanting and looking for (or maybe not).

View Post

Whoops cry.gif

I've just uploaded my first couple of covers, & they were HUGE (for instance, a scan of a 2 page booklet = 11000x5398). Though I didn't have any trouble uploading them because of their size.

Point taken about the length of time for downloads - being a being with a fairly fast speed, I didn't even think about it. I'll make em smaller, I promise tongue.gif

However, I'll be keeping the hi-res versions in my local folders, so if anyone wants them, just let me know. To see which covers I have, please go to http://quietasamouse.me.uk/Scans.txt
There's only 3 covers (& by 'cover' I mean all covers / CDs for each entry, just like this site) so far, but there will be more in the fullness of time.

Spread The Joy
smoke.gif

#24 jjones412

jjones412

Jameo

• 2 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE(tweetybird @ Jun 5 2007, 09:38 PM)
Okay all you Uploaders - I'm one the Moderators on this great site. I'm usually the one that has to edit your uploads - and lately - it has gotten way 'out-of-hand' just how much editing I have to do to get your covers on site!! There are rules in several places on site that instruct you how to upload your covers correctly - this is not a control thing - it has a very good purpose. Our goal here is to provide a neat and orderly site for you to find what you are looking for.

When uploading your covers - Please rotate the cover so that it looks like
This:[attachmentid=3053] Not This:[attachmentid=3054] Or This:[attachmentid=3055]& Definately Not Like This:[attachmentid=3056]. It's makes it much easier to see the cover before members download them - and all it took was for me to click a little button. Easy enough - Right??

Also cropping you covers is appreciated - same goes for the disc. I get quite a few coming in looking like this:

[attachmentid=3057] and this:[attachmentid=3058] Neither one is acceptable and WOULD NOT and WILL NOT be approve!!

These next instructions should already be known to you - the uploaders - because they are on the page where you import you covers and hopefully they get read. Some of you should know them by heart - but......

When typing your cover's title - PLEASE use BOTH UPPER & lower case letters: Not ALL CAPS - unless called for - like: ABBA, INXS, M*A*S*H and so forth.
If you are including the year for the movie - PLEASE use ()'s.
If you are including the venue - use the abbreviation in CAPS (on upload page).
If you are including a language other than English - use all CAPS to identify it.
If it is a custom designed by you - identify it by the word CUSTOM (ALL CAPS) on the end of the title.
A region code is greatly appreciated and they are also located on the upload page if you are not sure which one it is. Most region codes can be found on the back of the covers - usually it looks like a globe with a number in the middle.
DO NOT put dashes ( - ) between the words or any of these ( _ ).
So if done properly - it should look like this:

Meet The Applegates (1991) WS SE R1 or Meet The Applegates SWEDISH R2.

A custom cover will look like this:

Harry And The Hendersons R1 CUSTOM.

When labeling a Music CD (and this one is really easy!) - Artists name then CD Name with a space - space between artist and title:

Like this: Billy Joel - River Of Dreams - if including year - again - use the ()'s.
Not this: Billy Joel-River of Dreams - or this: Billy_Joel_Piano_Man  or even this: John Denver Windsong.

I'm also having to correct the spelling on your covers - A LOT!!! It's right there on the cover you are uploading - so there shouldn't be any spelling errors. So Please take a second to double check the spelling.

And Remember - Size DOES Matter!!! 300dpi is the magic number - this information is also in several places on the site. NOTHING UNDER 150dpi will be accepted - NOTHING!!!!!

This IS Your site too - Don't YOU want it nice and neat??? Easier to find covers??? In the Language you are looking for??? Well - it all starts with you all - the uploaders!!! Take pride in your work!!! Let's make FreeCovers even better than it is already.

If anyone ever has any questions - PLEASE don't hesitiate to PM me. I'm here for you.
                                        THANK YOU!!!!

View Post

Will you dance for freecovers.net[FONT=Impact][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][URL=http://www.imagebam.com/image/207ab68440152/]

#25 miker3x

miker3x

miker3x

• 7 posts
  • Interests:dss, dvdfab, harleys
  • Covers:102

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(jjones412 @ Jul 9 2008, 01:46 AM)

View Post

Thank bro I and my girl love this site, its super cool. You do it for us all, and its great with dvdfab.com platinum. What a combo this site, my memorex and lightscribe labelers. Thans to everyone who helps upload and keep the new labels coming in. Sinerely miker3x

#26 miker3x

miker3x

miker3x

• 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

I just want to say, you guys are cool, to all give time to run this great site. Stay Down, .... Miker3x

#27 felix11

felix11

Felix

• Gold Member
  • 13 posts
  • Covers:1438

• Rank (last 60 days):
    47th in Music CD

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

I thought you were sent a warning when covers uploaded were rejected (giving reason etc). This afternoon I uploaded 4 sets of covers but my upload 'tally' only went up by 1 - so I assume the others were rejected, but no email?? why??

#28 tweetybird

tweetybird

Barbie Girl MOD

• Elite Member
  • 6,292 posts
  • Interests:My Grandchildren
  • Covers:6834

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(felix11 @ Jul 26 2008, 12:43 PM)
I thought you were sent a warning when covers uploaded were rejected (giving reason etc). This afternoon I uploaded 4 sets of covers but my upload 'tally' only went up by 1 - so I assume the others were rejected, but no email?? why??

View Post

No - we do not PM members as to why their uploads are not accepted. We DO PM members when a chronic error keeps occurring with their uploads. I alway track those messages I send to members and currently I have 12 unopened PMs to members about their uploads - some as old as 3 months!!! Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

This is from our FAQ:

I uploaded a cover but it hasn't been approved
There could be several reasons for this. We usually approve covers within 24 hours of posting, but this process can take up to 48 hours. If after 2 days the cover has still not been approved, then it either does not meet our minimum requirements or we already have that cover.

In your case - I was the one who denied several covers as we already had them on site.
"Ain't I a wittle stinker?"

#29 felix11

felix11

Felix

• Gold Member
  • 13 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    47th in Music CD

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:20 PM

OK. I just uploaded another 2 and both were rejected. One certainly was not on the site (i checked under both artist and title), the other only had a front on site - so I uploaded the full set.

I usually only upload covers if they are not on the site - but occasionally I upload if I have the full set (4 parts) and there are parts missing from other posts.

Frankly, with this level of rejection I see no point in wasting my time uploading any more.

#30 miker3x

miker3x

miker3x

• 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE(tweetybird @ Jul 26 2008, 05:53 PM)
No - we do not PM members as to why their uploads are not accepted. We DO PM members when a chronic error keeps occurring with their uploads. I alway track those messages I send to members and currently I have 12 unopened PMs to members about their uploads - some as old as 3 months!!! Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

This is from our FAQ:

I uploaded a cover but it hasn't been approved
There could be several reasons for this. We usually approve covers within 24 hours of posting, but this process can take up to 48 hours. If after 2 days the cover has still not been approved, then it either does not meet our minimum requirements or we already have that cover.

In your case - I was the one who denied several covers as we already had them on site.

View Post

#31 felix11

felix11

Felix

• Gold Member
  • 13 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    47th in Music CD

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

OK Miker3x - you copied my comments but did not add anthing of your own to them - do you have something to say about this?

#32 tweetybird

tweetybird

Barbie Girl MOD

• Elite Member
  • 6,292 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(felix11 @ Jul 26 2008, 01:20 PM)
OK. I just uploaded another 2 and both were rejected. One certainly was not on the site (i checked under both artist and title), the other only had a front on site - so I uploaded the full set.

I usually only upload covers if they are not on the site - but occasionally I upload if I have the full set (4 parts) and there are parts missing from other posts.

Frankly, with this level of rejection I see no point in wasting my time uploading any more.

View Post

I am very thorough when it comes to checking covers - and I would NOT deny a cover we do not have - unless very poor quality and below standards - of course - as your uploads are always very good - it does bother me when I have to deny one or several because we already have them.

#33 mojo101

mojo101

mojo101

• Gold Member
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:love boating, fishing in the chesapeke bay, like hunting in western maryland. into photos
  • Covers:2

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:26 PM

wondered why none of my uploads ever posted will try to do right in future.
thanks
John
[/I] <a href='mailto:jockeyshorts1@aol.com'>jockeyshorts1@aol.com</a>

#34 felix11

felix11

Felix

• Gold Member
  • 13 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    47th in Music CD

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(tweetybird @ Jul 27 2008, 09:07 PM)
I am very thorough when it comes to checking covers - and I would NOT deny a cover we do not have - unless very poor quality and below standards - of course - as your uploads are always very good - it does bother me when I have to deny one or several because we already have them.

View Post

Fair enough. I think you might give some thought though to the [dual] issue of
1. improving the 'depth' of coverage for a title (ensuring ALL parts are available - not just a front or front and back say)
2. The effect on DB performance when (in achieving the above) there are multiple entries for a given title (im sure you know this!).

For my part, I will obviously upload a new title, but I also look to see if I can add [say] the CD,inlay & inside to an existing title. I do however see that this adds to the number of DB entries and over time could slow searching down etc. If only there were a way to replace existing entries with better, fuller posts.

As a retired SQL programmer/analyst the whole issue of site performance and database performance/flexibility interests me (as well as the covers!)

#35 tweetybird

tweetybird

Barbie Girl MOD

• Elite Member
  • 6,292 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(felix11 @ Jul 28 2008, 07:44 AM)
Fair enough. I think you might give some thought though to the [dual] issue of
1. improving the 'depth' of coverage for a title (ensuring ALL parts are available - not just a front or front and back say)
2. The effect on DB performance when (in achieving the above) there are multiple entries for a given title (im sure you know this!).

For my part, I will obviously upload a new title, but I also look to see if I can add [say] the CD,inlay & inside to an existing title. I do however see that this adds to the number of DB entries and over time could slow searching down etc. If only there were a way to replace existing entries with better, fuller posts.

As a retired SQL programmer/analyst the whole issue of site performance and database performance/flexibility interests me (as well as the covers!)

View Post

We here - at one time - had talked about being able to 'merge' parts of covers - especially in the instances of Music CDs - to try and get all parts together - instead of separate. It was something our 'coders' were going to work on - but I don't know if they scrapped the idea. We - The MODS - thought is was a great idea - and would still like to see if our coders can achieve this endeavor.

#36 felix11

felix11

Felix

• Gold Member
  • 13 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    47th in Music CD

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(tweetybird @ Jul 28 2008, 01:44 PM)
We here - at one time - had talked about being able to 'merge' parts of covers - especially in the instances of Music CDs - to try and get all parts together - instead of separate. It was something our 'coders' were going to work on - but I don't know if they scrapped the idea. We - The MODS - thought is was a great idea - and would still like to see if our coders can achieve this endeavor.

View Post

Lets hope so - it would be a major enhancement from both the users and the operators point of view.

The downside is though I think it would require a re-design of the DB tables - a major job. What is really needed are 2 fields [artist - title] instead of one [title]. then the full display title [non editable by the user] is a merging of the two to a set format. This would enable automatic spotting of duplicates and facilitate updating entries. Thing is, with a system like that the upload system may be able to check and warn the uploader of a duplication before they actually upload it - major saving of time (and annoyance when they are rejected on this basis). It would also help with searching (particularly the inability to search on <4 letters of a title).

But I doubt they will go for this - its major, but has major benefits as well.

#37 whitetiger

whitetiger

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

Hi just uploaded a cover before i read this post, sorry if i have done it wrong as i am new to this kind of thing, anyway will keep it in mind for future uploads.

#38 bkay

bkay

Advanced Member

• 88 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:18 PM

Hi, thought I would ask you as you seem to be an "expert". I tried to upload a cover for the first time but got a little confused as to how to do it. When I hit the upload button it went to another screen with a variety of drop-down menus. When I put in the title and where to find it then hit "upload" nothing happened so obviously I am missing something.

Can you give me a quick walk-through as to how to upload to the site.

Thanks,

B. Kay

#39 miker3x

miker3x

miker3x

• 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(miker3x @ Jul 27 2008, 12:47 AM)

View Post

yes dont blame you, haw,,, that was a long time ago(smile) Weve all grown since then. dawg. You guys are thebest though. Love your site. cheers.gif

#40 Mr Sad

Mr Sad

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Covers:17

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(cindy sturgill @ May 18 2008, 07:02 PM)

View Post

Hi there i'am new to this and just finding my way round, but what tweety is saying is right. Would that be why one of my up loads did not pass i did not see it on the site and it was a custom?. Anyway i will keep trying to get it right. thanks thumbup.gif