• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

Okay all you Uploaders - I'm one the Moderators on this great site. I'm usually the one that has to edit your uploads - and lately - it has gotten way 'out-of-hand' just how much editing I have to do to get your covers on site!! There are rules in several places on site that instruct you how to upload your covers correctly - this is not a control thing - it has a very good purpose. Our goal here is to provide a neat and orderly site for you to find what you are looking for.

When uploading your covers - Please rotate the cover so that it looks like

This:[attachmentid=3053] Not This:[attachmentid=3054] Or This:[attachmentid=3055]& Definitely Not Like This:[attachmentid=3056]. It's makes it much easier to see the cover before members download them - and all it took was for me to click a little button. Easy enough - Right??

Also cropping you covers is appreciated - same goes for the disc. I get quite a few coming in looking like this:

[attachmentid=3057] and this:[attachmentid=3058] Neither one is acceptable and WOULD NOT and WILL NOT be approve!!

These next instructions should already be known to you - the uploaders - because they are on the page where you import you covers and hopefully they get read. Some of you should know them by heart - but......

When typing your covers title - PLEASE use BOTH UPPER & lower case letters: Not ALL CAPS - unless called for - like: ABBA, INXS, M*A*S*H and so forth.
So none of this: THE THING R1 or THE BEATLES REVOLVER.

If you are including the year for the movie - PLEASE use ()'s. (2008) (1987) (2004) etc...

If you are including the venue - use the abbreviation in CAPS (on upload page). WS SE DC FS etc...

If you are including a language other than English - use ALL-CAPS to identify it. FRENCH SWEDISH DANISH etc...

If it is a custom designed by you - identify it by the word CUSTOM (ALL-CAPS) on the end of the title. CUSTOM

A region code is greatly appreciated and they are also located on the upload page if you are not sure which one it is. Most region codes can be found on the back of the covers - usually it looks like a globe with a number in the middle.

DO NOT put dashes ( - ) or dots ( . ) between the words or any of these ( _ ) either.

EXAMPLE: Mary-had-a-Little-Lamb or Fee.Fi.Fo.Fum or Green_Eggs_And_Ham.

So if done properly - it should look like this:

Meet The Applegates (1991) WS SE R1 or Meet The Applegates SWEDISH R2.

A custom cover will look like this:

Harry And The Hendersons R1 CUSTOM
or Saw IV (2007) R2 CUSTOM.

When labeling a Music CD (and this one is really easy!) - Artists name then CD Name with a space, then dash (-) followed by another space between artist and title:

Like this: Billy Joel - River Of Dreams (if including year - again - use the ()'s.)
Not this: Billy Joel-River of Dreams - or this: Billy_Joel_Piano_Man or even this: John Denver Windsong.

ALL Rental labels need to be removed - Covers with Rental labels on them will not be accepted. SAME for discs - 'For Rental Only', 'For Retail Only', 'Video Store Rental Sticker' or anything like that labeled on a disc - the disc will not be accepted.

'Tagged' covers and discs are accepted here at FreeCovers - All we ask is that you keep the 'Tag' small and on the back of the covers only - so as not to interfere with the covers' design. For discs - do not 'Tag' the disc itself - keep it to the outside edges in the white or colored backgrounds.

WE also are having to correct the spelling on your covers - A LOT!!! It's right there on the cover you are uploading - so there shouldn't be any spelling errors. So Please take a second to double check the spelling.

And Remember - Size DOES Matter!!! 300dpi is the magic number:
Approximately 3240 x 2175 for a standard DVD Cover @300dpi and 1500 x 1000 @150dpi.
Approximately 1440 x1440 for a standard Music Cover @300dpi and 700 x 700 @150dpi.
Approximately 1440 x 1440 for a standard Disc label - for both DVD Movie and Music CDs @300dpi and 700 x 700 @150dpi.
NOTHING UNDER 150dpi will be accepted - NOTHING!!!!!

This IS Your site too - Don't YOU want it nice and neat??? Easier to find covers??? In the Language you are looking for??? Well - it all starts with you all - the uploaders!!! Take pride in your work!!! Let's make FreeCovers even better than it is already.

If anyone ever has any questions - PLEASE don't hesitate to PM me or ANY of our other MODERATORS. WE are here for you.

THANK YOU!!!!

Attached Files

"Ain't I a wittle stinker?"

#2 ouchyfoot

ouchyfoot

Blue Meanie

• Elite Member
  • 3,926 posts
  • Covers:390

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

Well put.

#3 erasert

erasert

Advanced Member

• 62 posts
  • Covers:425

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in PSP

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:40 PM

good info

#4 kveits007

kveits007

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 14 posts
  • Covers:179

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:51 AM

I am new to uploading on this site, but will do my part

#5 JOHNPEEL

JOHNPEEL

JOHNPEEL

• Gold Member
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Sports
  • Covers:69

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

smile.gif Good for you Tweety Bird. There are way too many covers that were uploaded incorrectly. The region code is very important to users who are downloading! Too bad these rules were not enforced before. Thank you for your support, greatly appreciated, John Peel, NC USA eek.gif
QUOTE(tweetybird @ Jun 5 2007, 05:38 PM)
Okay all you Uploaders - I'm one the Moderators on this great site. I'm usually the one that has to edit your uploads - and lately - it has gotten way 'out-of-hand' just how much editing I have to do to get your covers on site!! There are rules in several places on site that instruct you how to upload your covers correctly - this is not a control thing - it has a very good purpose. Our goal here is to provide a neat and orderly site for you to find what you are looking for.

This:[attachmentid=3053] Not This:[attachmentid=3054] Or This:[attachmentid=3055]& Definately Not Like This:[attachmentid=3056]. It's makes it much easier to see the cover before members download them - and all it took was for me to click a little button. Easy enough - Right??

Also cropping you covers is appreciated - same goes for the disc. I get quite a few coming in looking like this:

[attachmentid=3057] and this:[attachmentid=3058] Neither one is acceptable and WOULD NOT and WILL NOT be approve!!

These next instructions should already be known to you - the uploaders - because they are on the page where you import you covers and hopefully they get read. Some of you should know them by heart - but......

When typing your cover's title - PLEASE use BOTH UPPER & lower case letters: Not ALL CAPS - unless called for - like: ABBA, INXS, M*A*S*H and so forth.
If you are including the year for the movie - PLEASE use ()'s.
If you are including the venue - use the abbreviation in CAPS (on upload page).
If you are including a language other than English - use all CAPS to identify it.
If it is a custom designed by you - identify it by the word CUSTOM (ALL CAPS) on the end of the title.
A region code is greatly appreciated and they are also located on the upload page if you are not sure which one it is. Most region codes can be found on the back of the covers - usually it looks like a globe with a number in the middle.
DO NOT put dashes ( - ) between the words or any of these ( _ ).

Harry And The Hendersons R1 CUSTOM.

When labeling a Music CD (and this one is really easy!) - Artists name then CD Name with a space - space between artist and title:

Like this: Billy Joel - River Of Dreams - if including year - again - use the ()'s.
Not this: Billy Joel-River of Dreams - or this: Billy_Joel_Piano_Man  or even this: John Denver Windsong.

I'm also having to correct the spelling on your covers - A LOT!!! It's right there on the cover you are uploading - so there shouldn't be any spelling errors. So Please take a second to double check the spelling.

And Remember - Size DOES Matter!!! 300dpi is the magic number - this information is also in several places on the site. NOTHING UNDER 150dpi will be accepted - NOTHING!!!!!

This IS Your site too - Don't YOU want it nice and neat??? Easier to find covers??? In the Language you are looking for??? Well - it all starts with you all - the uploaders!!! Take pride in your work!!! Let's make FreeCovers even better than it is already.

If anyone ever has any questions - PLEASE don't hesitiate to PM me. I'm here for you.
                                        THANK YOU!!!!

View Post

#6 Riia

Riia

Advanced Member

• Elite Member
  • 2,296 posts
  • Covers:5708

• Rank (last 60 days):
    4th in Blu-Ray Movie
    20th in PC Games
    10th in Playstation 3
    12th in TV Series

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

i also find if you push gently on the scanner lid you minimize the fold lines, especially DVD spines....or the night before scanner a couple of heavy books on top of the cover helps too...

#7 minje

minje

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Covers:240

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

Hi tweety, I'm a new gold member to this site and want to upload and when i say new i mean real newbie. I've looked at what you want from me when uploading and will try to follow the rules, please be patient with me smile.gif

#8 minje

minje

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Covers:240

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

a daft question probably...what does RO, R1 etc mean?

#9 ouchyfoot

ouchyfoot

Blue Meanie

• Elite Member
  • 3,926 posts
  • Covers:390

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

Sorry minje, but I had to deny all of your last uploads but one. We appreciate all the work you did, but you should always check to see if those covers are already on site before you upload. If you see a poor quality cover and yours is in way better resolution ...then fine...we will replace the inferior one.

Check twice...upload once.

If you click on the upload box, you will see all the definitions explained at the bottom...R1,R2,WS...etc. but those are for DVD uploads and aren't necessary for CD covers.

#10 springwood01

springwood01

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 3 posts
  • Covers:420

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:56 PM

Tweetybird - can't upload covers - tried to upload cover(s) four times - keep getting the same error message - "Error.You Must Upload At Least One Cover"
when I have been trying to upload 4 jpegs

#11 sb4100

sb4100

Sb4100

• Elite Member
  • 6,533 posts
  • Interests:Many Interests
  • Covers:30890

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in Anime DVD
    2nd in DVD Movie
    4th in HD-DVD Movie
    2nd in Music DVD
    19th in Other Console
    3rd in Playstation 3
    2nd in TV Series
    19th in VCD

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

upload feature is off will be back up soon once it has processed all of the sites images

hopefully soon

thank you

#12 potvin

potvin

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Covers:8

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:40 AM

Hey there, I am just starting to upload some covers. I did my very first one this evening. I was wondering why there is a limit on the file sizes allowed to be uploaded. I tried to send a cd scan that was like 5700 X 5700 eheh. Is this to control bandwidth on the site. I only scanned at that resolution because I usually look for the highest res when choosing my covers. Size doesn't matter to me...just quality. I was also gonna send the front cover at a resolution of like 8500 X 17000 ahaha I guess that wouldn't have been added to the site either whistling.gif

#13 potvin

potvin

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Covers:8

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:43 AM

Hey there, I am just starting to upload some covers. I did my very first one this evening. I was wondering why there is a limit on the file sizes allowed to be uploaded. I tried to send a cd scan that was like 5700 X 5700 eheh. Is this to control bandwidth on the site? I only scanned at that resolution because I usually look for the highest res when choosing my covers. Size doesn't matter to me...just quality. I was also gonna send the front cover at a resolution of like 8500 X 17000 ahaha I guess that wouldn't have been added to the site either whistling.gif

#14 tikibremjo

tikibremjo

The Aussie Wonder From Down Under !!!

• Elite Member
  • 789 posts
  • Covers:698

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:58 AM

bag.gif Could somebody please tell me where to find the size limitations, specifications and other requirements for uploading (ie. instructions)? I know you have provided some instructions above tweetybird but they are mostly for cover description and does not include what I am looking for.

Cheers cheers.gif
tikibremjo

user posted image

Bennett's Beach - Hawks Nest

http://www.teagardensonline.com.au/

user posted image

TEA GARDENS - HAWKS NEST
NEW SOUTH WALES
AUSTRALIA

#15 tweetybird

tweetybird

Barbie Girl MOD

• Elite Member
  • 6,292 posts
  • Interests:My Grandchildren
  • Covers:6834

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(potvin @ Feb 26 2008, 04:43 AM)
Hey there, I am just starting to upload some covers. I did my very first one this evening. I was wondering why there is a limit on the file sizes allowed to be uploaded. I tried to send a cd scan that was like 5700 X 5700 eheh. Is this to control bandwidth on the site? I only scanned at that resolution because I usually look for the highest res when choosing my covers. Size doesn't matter to me...just quality. I was also gonna send the front cover at a resolution of like 8500 X 17000 ahaha I guess that wouldn't have been added to the site either  whistling.gif

View Post

At present, there is not a limit to the maximum size allowed... BUT, let's be real here!!!! A CD scan 5700x5700??? It probably didn't make it through because it WAS so big!! At lot of times the image just can't travel far with all the extra weight!!!

Our minimum allowed is 150dpi and our recommended is 300dpi. If members continue to upload ultra huge file sizes - we may have to start putting a cap on the maximum allowed - as most of the other cover site do - at present - we are one of the few who do not. Just use your common sense. Scan what ever you like for yourself - but if it's over 600dpi, you might consider scaling it down before uploading. The larger the file size, 1} the longer it takes to upload - not just for you, but for us MODs too, 2} the longer it will take for a member to download. Some of our members still have dial-up and may not want to wait 30 minutes for a CD scan to download. (And we don't give extra KUDOS for super big files, either.)

The majority of our members and uploaders are not professional - just a group of people with scanners and the love of movie & CD cover art with the wanting & willingness to share. There are a few who are just learning and some who have been at it a while. Some get better with time and practice - others...well, er, we won't go there!!! Once you have gotten a chance to get a good look around - you will figure out who will give you that extra quality you are wanting and looking for (or maybe not).

#16 meddi

meddi

elite member

• Elite Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:creating custom dvd covers.
  • Covers:1245

• Rank (last 60 days):
    22nd in DVD Movie
    54th in TV Series

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

well said tweety,we are just a few people sharing a common interest.a scan of more than 300 dpi is useless for printing,it will not look any better.as i always say higher resolutions are only good to blow a picture the size of a wall.so stick to 300dpi and it will be fine for most if not all the members here.
if you don`t leave,you will never come back again

#17 miker3x

miker3x

miker3x

• 7 posts
  • Interests:dss, dvdfab, harleys
  • Covers:102

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(tweetybird @ Jun 5 2007, 09:38 PM)

This:[attachmentid=3053] Not This:[attachmentid=3054] Or This:[attachmentid=3055]& Definately Not Like This:[attachmentid=3056]. It's makes it much easier to see the cover before members download them - and all it took was for me to click a little button. Easy enough - Right??

When typing your cover's title - PLEASE use BOTH UPPER & lower case letters: Not ALL CAPS - unless called for - like: ABBA, INXS, M*A*S*H and so forth.
If you are including a language other than English - use all CAPS to identify it.
If it is a custom designed by you - identify it by the word CUSTOM (ALL CAPS) on the end of the title.

When labeling a Music CD (and this one is really easy!) - Artists name then CD Name with a space - space between artist and title:

Like this: Billy Joel - River Of Dreams - if including year - again - use the ()'s.
Not this: Billy Joel-River of Dreams - or this: Billy_Joel_Piano_Man  or even this: John Denver Windsong.

I'm also having to correct the spelling on your covers - A LOT!!! It's right there on the cover you are uploading - so there shouldn't be any spelling errors. So Please take a second to double check the spelling.

And Remember - Size DOES Matter!!! 300dpi is the magic number - this information is also in several places on the site. NOTHING UNDER 150dpi will be accepted - NOTHING!!!!!

If anyone ever has any questions - PLEASE don't hesitiate to PM me. I'm here for you.
                                        THANK YOU!!!!

View Post

#18 miker3x

miker3x

miker3x

• 7 posts
  • Interests:dss, dvdfab, harleys
  • Covers:102

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:26 PM

[attachmentid=3057] and this:[attachmentid=3058] Neither one is acceptable and WOULD NOT and WILL NOT be approve!! ID LIKE TO MENTION SOMETIMES I WILL SEND A LABEL YOU HAVE BECAUSE THE QUALITY OF THE LABEL DVD IS POOR, BUT I SEE YOU DONT REPLACE IT WITH MINE EVEN IF ITS ALL SPOTTED FROM OVER SETTING SCAN QUALITY TO ABOVE 300. AT 600 OR ABOVE LABELS BECOME SPOTTED FROM SCANNERS, EVEN THE BEST ONES. I THINK YOU SHOULD RECOMEND THE NORMAL 200 OR 300 SETTINGS TO THE FORUMS FOR SCANNING. MANY DONT KNOW ABOUT THESE SETTING IF THEY ARE NEWBIE. I WAS A TRW CREDIT BUREAU OPERATOR ON OLD FINANCE COMPUTORS. JUST A SUGGEST. I LOVE YOUR SITE, AND I USED TO UPLOAD MORE, BUT I SEE THE LABELS SCANNED IN PLASTIC HOLDERS AND THEY DONT COME OUT WELL ON LIGHTSCRIBE. THE DISC SHOULD BE ON THE GLASS, NOT THROUGH PLASTIC DVD HOLDERS. BUT STILL LOVE YOU GUYS, YOU ARE GREAT. IM TRYING SO HARD NOW TO GET XP ATMEL BOOT FLASH 1.31. ZIP,UTILITY, AND WILDTHING II DOWNLOAD, IF YOU CAN HELP, MY NEW ATMELS COME UNFLASHED, AND CANNOT FIND THE DOWNLOADS ANYWHERE ANYMORE, YOU ARE SO GOOD ON THE SITE, I THOUGHT WE COULD SHARE AND YOUD HELP SEND ME A COUPLE FLASHES , FOR ATMEL BOOT, AND WILDTHING II, PHEONIX, OR EXTREME HU, I DO ALOT OF ISO PROGRAMING, BUT CANNOT FIND THE DOWNLOAD ZIPPS. DO YOU KNOW ANY I CAN GET. THANKS FOR THE GREAT CITE HERE... REALLY YOU GUY AND GIRLS ARE THE GREATEST. ITS COOL. FOR SURE. miker3x@yahoo.com

PS:sorry Im Guilty of being in a rush too like others and put all caps, so much faster, i will watch that, what you said. One think is my wife is over 50, uses glasses, and she needs all caps on what she reads, so im used to catering to her and doing that on everthing. If you can help me above, im sure stuck. Love ya guys. miker3x

#19 tweetybird

tweetybird

Barbie Girl MOD

• Elite Member
  • 6,292 posts
  • Interests:My Grandchildren
  • Covers:6834

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:13 AM

The thing with your uploads Mike IS the fact they are in ALL-CAPS (not to mention that several were also way too small - 600x420@49.5KBs and smaller). When we've got 300-500 covers sitting in the waiting room - editing is not on the top of our list. That is why this thread was started. Members were just not titling their uploads correctly and several are still not. We can't show favoritism to one member and then deny the same for another. I CAN sympathize - I too have had to start wearing reading glasses when working on the computer.

AND YES - I am guilty of using a DVD case to hold my DVDs in place when scanning - BUT I only use the the back part - that's it - just the back. I find it easier to get the DVD in and out of the scanner and also to keep the DVD straight. The front of the case does not come into play at all!! In fact - they were thrown into the garbage a long time ago!!

As for the rest of your post - I'll leave that for someone who may actually know what you are talking about - it is total GREEK to ME!!!

#20 cindy sturgill

cindy sturgill

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 3 posts
  • Covers:11

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(tweetybird @ Jun 5 2007, 04:38 PM)

THANK YOU!!!!

View Post