• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:29 AM

It has come to my attention that some members do not like the way some of the staff approves Custom covers. Here is my proposal - PLEASE tell me what y'all think of it.

All CUSTOM Covers - whatever media they be - will now take approximately 2 - 4 working days before they are approved and available to members.

Why you ask???

Because now each staff member must see each and every Custom cover(s) - scrutinize it - discuss about it - then vote on its approval. Does that sound good to everyone???

Of course 4 days is being pretty optimistic - you should hear the staff try and decide on a dessert for the company picnic!!! tongue.gif

Retail scanners need not worry about this - Retail will still be approved rather quickly - as usual.

Thank You
"Ain't I a wittle stinker?"

#2 Dig.Pst

Dig.Pst

My Avatar is invisible....

• 206 posts
  • Covers:83

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

I don't mind 2-4 days (optimistic or not), but does that also mean you'll pay more attention what is uploaded? cause i still see covers uploaded that have to be rotated, or doesn't that rule apply anymore.
Also FreeCovers is very rich with duplicates, will there be a better quality check?

I think the answer is yes, judging by your story, just verifying ... smile.gif

And what does it take to get invited to the company picnic? i'll just need a full keg and the rest doesn't matter 4 me, thank you ... cheers.gif
Deposit your comment below mine please.

#3 gibbo247

gibbo247

Bender's drinking buddy

• Elite Member
  • 2,604 posts
  • Covers:100

• Rank (last 60 days):
    16th in Playstation 3

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

Like i've said that this will slow everything down so very much, that it's almost gonna grind to a halt!

In the words of Bender "Yep! We're Boned !!! " Futurama the movie "Benders's big score"

ReallyDangerous.jpgThisIsMyHappyFace.jpgWereOutOfIceCream.jpgtag.gif

#4 gibbo247

gibbo247

Bender's drinking buddy

• Elite Member
  • 2,604 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    16th in Playstation 3

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

i reckon two members of staff need to be involved, or else it will take ages, so i think just two !
what do you guys think?

In the words of Bender "Yep! We're Boned !!! " Futurama the movie "Benders's big score"

#5 Budster

Budster

EX Aussie Complaints Dept

• Gold Member
  • 3,051 posts
  • Interests:Trying to stop the Wife and Daughters from KILLING me
  • Covers:3162

• Rank (last 60 days):
    14th in HD-DVD Movie
    6th in Music DVD
    2nd in Other
    4th in PSP
    8th in TV Series

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:52 AM

Personally I think this idea will just clog up the "Covers awaiting Approval" list
and draw everything out more than is required. I for one do NOT intend to read through ever post regarding each cover to see who likes or dislikes each cover.
Posted ImagePosted Image

R.I.P
PJC

#6 pmccaffrey

pmccaffrey

pmccaffrey

• 108 posts
  • Covers:138

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

As you are all probably aware my cover of UP (2009) R1 CUSTOM was rejected which inturn I complained about AND may have contributed to thE action being taken by Admin + Mods.

I personally think 2-4days is not bad for approvals if working together with other members (i.e. helping them get cover approved by telling them the problems with it and fixing it accordingly)

I use another cover site called: custommaniacs.org (granted you have to use credits to download and credits = / $ you also earn credits for you uploads)

Anyhow my reason for mentioning this site is not to give members an alternative download site but to understand the way in which they conduct themselves which I think we could learn a thing or two

for example they offer all label template disc, dvd covers to download

They are very fussy on uploaded covers right down to pixels,scratches spacing ect - they tell the uploader exactly what is wrong with the cover and even give suggestions on how to sort them. this can usually take upto 6 days + to be approved but the end result is what counts

I FOR ONE BACK THE SLOW APPROVAL SCHEME

Also my suggestion to Max may speed things up

@ max - just a suggestion is it possible to set up admin & mods with a check box list that they can check the appropriate box's and email back???)

example:

Resolution to low (check box)
not cropped proparly (check box)
spelling main text (check box)
spelling tagline (check box)
Cover to similar to other posts (check box)
To many of the same cover (check box)
and so on..........

Please amend above suggestions and re submit

p.s. my cover Up(2009)R1 CUSTOM the man isn't holding balloons, Lol

PEACE OUT!
You'll always get a buzz on freecovers.net

#7 tweetybird

tweetybird

Barbie Girl MOD

• Elite Member
  • 6,292 posts
  • Interests:My Grandchildren
  • Covers:6834

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in Blu-Ray Movie
    10th in DVD Movie
    70th in Music CD
    7th in Playstation 3
    17th in TV Series
    4th in Wii

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

OMG!!! You have really stepped in it this time - you are now officially OFF my Christmas card list - FOREVER!!!!!

HOW DARE YOU EVER EVEN SUGGEST THAT THIS SITE EVER BE ANYTHING LIKE THOSE censored.gif censored.gif censored.gif censored.gif censored.gif shit.gif CLOWNS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? mad.gif

THE STAFF HERE HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE THIS SMALL COMMUNITY - WITH ACTUAL FAMILIES, FRIENDS & JOBS. WE DON'T GO AROUND TO OTHERS SITES AND WRITE THREATENING PMS TO THE MEMBERS IF THEY SHOULD UPLOAD ONE OF THEIR COVERS SOMEWHERE ELSE - OR WRITE NASTY POSTS WHILE POSTING PEOPLES ACTUAL NAMES AND ADDRESSES FOR THE WHOLE INTERNET TO SEE. YEAH - WE REALLY WANT TO BE LIKE THEM - IT WILL BE A COLD DAY IN HELL BEFORE THAT HAPPENS HERE!!!

SO GO TAKE YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND....... censored.gif PEACE OFF!!!

(PLEASE excuse me if I have upset anyone other than this censored.gif - but one can only take so much bitching, whining, moaning and groaning.)

Holding them - not holding them - who censored.gif cares.
"Ain't I a wittle stinker?"

#8 gibbo247

gibbo247

Bender's drinking buddy

• Elite Member
  • 2,604 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    16th in Playstation 3

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

pmccaffrey that has been already suggested, Max (Bless him) (Get back to work or the whips will go away) is looking at trying to put something along those lines into the system.
THIS TAKES TIME.

I'm gonna be honest here!

Totally honest!!

Read on at your own risk, there maybe stuff below that some may find offending.

Time seems to be the issuse here, personally, i think the holding of custom covers is a waste of time and effort for the approvals team, like Tweetie says, there is no rewards for the time we put in here, most, if not all of that staff here have "real world" jobs and commitments, their time is like gold dust.
So to delay the covers will make a crappy job, even crappy.

Still being honest here.......

I also do not like when members stop having a "pop" at staff.
I sometimes have a job holding my tongue.
pmccaffrey you almost had the full fury of my wraith, it took every ounce of energy to reframe from posting exactly what i was thinking.

I'm sorry but that's the way the cookie crumbles. (Well with me anyway)

#9 pmccaffrey

pmccaffrey

pmccaffrey

• 108 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(tweetybird @ Feb 3 2010, 04:51 PM)
OMG!!! You have really stepped in it this time - you are now officially OFF my Christmas card list - FOREVER!!!!!

HOW DARE YOU EVER EVEN SUGGEST THAT THIS SITE EVER BE ANYTHING LIKE THOSE  censored.gif  censored.gif  censored.gif  censored.gif  censored.gif  shit.gif  CLOWNS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? mad.gif

THE STAFF HERE HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE THIS SMALL COMMUNITY - WITH ACTUAL FAMILIES, FRIENDS & JOBS. WE DON'T GO AROUND TO OTHERS SITES AND WRITE THREATENING PMS TO THE MEMBERS IF THEY SHOULD UPLOAD ONE OF THEIR COVERS SOMEWHERE ELSE - OR WRITE NASTY POSTS WHILE POSTING PEOPLES ACTUAL NAMES AND ADDRESSES FOR THE WHOLE INTERNET TO SEE. YEAH - WE REALLY WANT TO BE LIKE THEM - IT WILL BE A COLD DAY IN HELL BEFORE THAT HAPPENS HERE!!!

SO GO TAKE YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND....... censored.gif PEACE OFF!!!
(PLEASE excuse me if I have upset anyone other than this  censored.gif - but one can only take so much bitching, whining, moaning and groaning.)

Holding them - not holding them - who  censored.gif  cares.

View Post

@TB get off your soap box for a moment and stop acting like you on this site it belongs to all the members and we are all entitled to OUR opinions good or bad.

Anyway, regardless what you think of that site they still have GOOD idea's in place for their members as I mentioned before " a template for discs, dvd's , blueray ect also a section with film ratings film distributors logos ect.

Finally I would be quite happy as I'm sure you would be, not to interact with each other again as there seems to be a clash of personality or something like that going on. So on that note "you are the weakest link, goodbye" Lol.

#10 pmccaffrey

pmccaffrey

pmccaffrey

• 108 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(gibbo247 @ Feb 3 2010, 05:37 PM)
pmccaffrey that has been already suggested, Max (Bless him) (Get back to work or the whips will go away) is looking at trying to put something along those lines into the system.
THIS TAKES TIME.

I'm gonna be honest here!

Totally honest!!

Read on at your own risk, there maybe stuff below that some may find offending.

Time seems to be the issuse here, personally, i think the holding of custom covers is a waste of time and effort for the approvals team, like Tweetie says, there is no rewards for the time we put in here, most, if not all of that staff here have "real world" jobs and commitments, their time is like gold dust.
So to delay the covers will make a crappy job, even crappy.

Still being honest here.......

I also do not like when members stop having a "pop" at staff.
I sometimes have a job holding my tongue.
pmccaffrey you almost had the full fury of my wraith, it took every ounce of energy to reframe from posting exactly what i was thinking.

I'm sorry but that's the way the cookie crumbles. (Well with me anyway)

View Post

gibbo247 nothing wrong with honesty I'm all for that. Don't quite know why I got up your noise unless you refer to my dispute with TB and you are on the defensive, fine if thats the case but Im a passionate person and don't like bullying tactics which I felt was being attempted here (never going to happen). Anyway as said before case closed.

p.s. My suggestion above was a quote from a previous post of mine, cheers.

#11 gibbo247

gibbo247

Bender's drinking buddy

• Elite Member
  • 2,604 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    16th in Playstation 3

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:00 PM

To be honest i'm not sure what you wanted / or expected from all this.
Tweetie gave you an honest answer to why your cover was rejected.
She believed that the cover was close to other cover / disc cover.
You wanted an answer, you got one, and yet it continued to drag on.

Ps. The check / tick box has been mention a few times by a few different people in the elite area as a possible improvement.

#12 hunted25

hunted25

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

I have a suggestion that might ease up the issue with overloading mods/admins with work & also allowing feedback before a upload is approved.

What about a Community Voting system?

Explanation:
A user uploads a Custom Cover, it gets put to vote by all members of the site for 2-4 days with comments.

IF the community decides they like it and the mods/admins have no issues with it, then it gets approved.

IF the community decides they don't like it, then the uploader can take suggestions off everyone on how to improve and then re-upload when it is done.

sounds reasonable to me, what about you guys?

#13 gibbo247

gibbo247

Bender's drinking buddy

• Elite Member
  • 2,604 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    16th in Playstation 3

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

It's a nice idea, but it will slow the apporvals of custom covers to a almost halt.

It would be so bad if it's approved within the same day.

#14 flighty

flighty

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

This is only my second post, but if a 2-4 day time frame is required to reduce some (all?) of the crap covers / labels I've seen recently, I'm all for it.

Poor quality (blurred)
Upside down (only a few)
Movie description in foreign language (non-English)
Some covers over cropped (top and/or bottom cut off)

We use this site first for our cover/label downloads, but always have to go to our second source as on some occasions, nothing whatsoever is available here.

#15 stan5150

stan5150

• 43 posts
  • Covers:886

• Rank (last 60 days):
    9th in Wii

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:50 AM

Personally, i'm happy with the way things are. Sure, there are a lot of identical custom covers here, and we would all love to know why a cover is rejected, but it's gotta be a bit of give-and-take between uploaders & admins. The admins do have a lot on their hands.
Lot of people do come here for covers the day a movie is released. Lot of smaller unheard of movies have custom covers uploaded on the day of the release. I fear that a long approval time would make people look at other sites to get the newest custom covers. Freecovers, in my opinion, is currently the fastest with custom covers than any other site. And that's what makes it the best.

Well, that's my opinion. And as people say, opinion is like an a**hole...everybody has one cool.gif
user posted image

#16 Hacker Jack

Hacker Jack

Hired Assassin

• 532 posts
  • Location:That little place in my head the Dr. told me to stay away from...
  • Covers:1602

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

One has to know that there are many covers that do not even deserve to be on this site. The data base is quite large and there is a lot of wasted space. A rating system of "up one" or "down one" would be quite beneficial. That being said, after a cover receives so many "down one" votes with no or few downloads it should be considered for removal. I'm fully aware that many of my early downloads would get the ax and frankly I could live with that. (Yes I am embarrassed by some of them) Since the site already has the ability to log the number of downloads citing approval it seems that that adding a tab for disapproval would help weed out many of the labels that don't pass the grade thus freeing up server space and multiple label count and making this site much easier to navigate. Let the cream rise to the top. This method would also allows for some one to take a sub standard label with good graphic and improve on it making it a win/win situation for everyone by having good covers for all. Searching through a long list of the same title becomes tedious. No garden ever grows to it's full potential without a little weeding every now and then. Hope I haven't offended anyone but that is just my 2 cents worth. This is still my favorite site for labels on the net.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Riia

Riia

Advanced Member

• Elite Member
  • 2,298 posts
  • Covers:6101

• Rank (last 60 days):
    4th in Blu-Ray Movie
    20th in PC Games
    10th in Playstation 3
    12th in TV Series

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

My honest opinion is...

CUSTOM is CUSTOM, people will download if they like it as long as it meats the minimum quality standards for approval then they should be approved CUSTOM aren't RETAIL...just my opinion...on topic to the 2-4 days for approving a CUSTOM, I think will clog up the approval system

#18 Bobble3922

Bobble3922

Region 2 Scanner

• Elite Member
  • 228 posts
  • Covers:3414

• Rank (last 60 days):
    5th in TV Series

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(Riia @ Feb 19 2010, 12:10 PM)
My honest opinion is...

CUSTOM is CUSTOM, people will download if they like it as long as it meats the minimum quality standards for approval then they should be approved CUSTOM aren't RETAIL...just my opinion...on topic to the 2-4 days for approving a CUSTOM, I think will clog up the approval system

View Post

Lots to digest and it's pleasing there can be some form of freedom of speech or text.

I have a concern about what everybody's concept of a custom cover is and how it is approved.

Custom covers/labels should be new creations and not poor efforts to rebuild retail scans.

Regarding Approving Covers for the future, the first consideration should be that the cover is the correct way orientated. Secondly as I have mentioned in many posts a cover needs to be specific size in pixels an example is, a standard 14.4mm spine cover should equate to 3240 x 2175 pixels. Thirdly if it is uploaded with the first 2 considerations the third observation must be the quality.

Food for thought,

Bob

It should be noted that I respect the approvers and understand it is not the divine right of any here to insist that because they have uploaded something it has to be approved looking at some covers here that I know come from years ago they don't meet any of the considerations but are still here clogging up the sections.

#19 Bobble3922

Bobble3922

Region 2 Scanner

• Elite Member
  • 228 posts
  • Covers:3414

• Rank (last 60 days):
    5th in TV Series

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Bobble3922 @ Feb 19 2010, 03:32 PM)
Lots to digest and it's pleasing there can be some form of freedom of speech or text.

I have a concern about what everybody's concept of a custom cover is and how it is approved.

Custom covers/labels should be new creations and not poor efforts to rebuild retail scans.

Regarding Approving Covers for the future, the first consideration should be that the cover is the correct way orientated. Secondly as I have mentioned in many posts a cover needs to be specific size in pixels an example is, a standard 14.4mm spine cover should equate to 3240 x 2175 pixels. Thirdly if it is uploaded with the first 2 considerations the third observation must be the quality.

Food for thought,

Bob

It should be noted that I respect the approvers and understand it is not the divine right of any here to insist that because they have uploaded something it has to be approved looking at some covers here that I know come from years ago they don't meet any of the considerations but are still here clogging up the sections.

View Post

To approve these covers only takes a few second if they don't meet the expectancy then they must be deleted ?

#20 gradds

gradds

• 34 posts
  • Covers:472

• Rank (last 60 days):
    33rd in TV Series

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(Bobble3922 @ Feb 20 2010, 12:32 AM)

Food for thought,

Bob

View Post

There is the opposite consideration that if every cover had to be 300dpi, then there would be a lot of covers that just didn't exist. Bits of artwork for custom covers is often hard to find, and will quite often be of lower resolution than we would like, but sometimes, I would much rather have a lower res cover than none at all. If you want high resolution perfection, go to customaniacs, and see how many covers they DON'T have. (and you have to upload at 600dpi)

I do think a "recently uploaded" section would be useful.