Photo

LightScribe Technology - Yes? No?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want to buy a LightScribe Writer? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to buy a LightScribe Writer?

1. Hell Yeah! (19 votes [34.55%])

Percentage of vote: 34.55%

2. I don't know yet. (12 votes [21.82%])

Percentage of vote: 21.82%

3. No, don't like it. (18 votes [32.73%])

Percentage of vote: 32.73%

4. What te fuck is LS technology? (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

5. Else; (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Trebor

Trebor

Man of Wisdom

• 99 posts
  • Covers:65

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in GameCube

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:14 PM

Well what will you do? I think i'm gonna buy one soon!

#2 Rob

Rob

Developer

• Admin
  • 801 posts
  • Covers:23

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:48 PM

didnt know what it was biggrin.gif

looked it up though ( http://www.lightscribe.com )

and it looks great! the hardware isnt expensive atall, infact the same price as many other drives which do all the same stuff apart from lightscribe wink.gif

media is a little expensive though.. and laser etched, only one colour. but it looks like the results are nice

go for it! (and then tell me whether i should too!)

when this technology gets more main stream it could have several effects, it could make this site and cdcovers obsolete (well, less popular anyway). more likely covers can be pretty easily imported and used on these disks though depending on the colours in the image the results would vary... high contrast with few colours yeilding the best results. Ofcourse this would be a great oppurtunity for us to start offering covers in this format!!! (ready to be used on lightscribe disks)

hehe, but lets wait and see how successful it is first cool.gif

#3 Trebor

Trebor

Man of Wisdom

• 99 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in GameCube

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:58 PM

Indeed I agree with you Ad0o, but not at all points. It won't make this site less popular because they don't burn the covers on the paper wink.gif And the most people just want to have them in a cover blabla.

About offering the cd covers in the LightScribe format, its a cool idea, but yes we need to wait until it is successful enough.

#4 Rob

Rob

Developer

• Admin
  • 801 posts
  • Covers:23

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:07 PM

heh, good point, i forgot all about back/front covers tongue.gif

#5 JazzyJackie

JazzyJackie

Administrator

• + Senior Editor
  • 59 posts
  • Covers:173

• Rank (last 60 days):
    17th in GameCube

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:35 AM

why would it have to be in a "lightscribe format"? i'm almost sure they would make jpg's and normal image or a way to convert

as it gets more popular, the media cost would drop

i would definitely be thinking of getting one later

#6 Trebor

Trebor

Man of Wisdom

• 99 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in GameCube

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE(Princess @ Oct 7 2005, 03:35 AM)
why would it have to be in a "lightscribe format"? i'm almost sure they would make jpg's and normal image or a way to convert

as it gets more popular, the media cost would drop

i would definitely be thinking of getting one later

View Post

Why it should be in "LS format".. I think the images would be better if they're allready in black-transparent. Or the application that will be delivered with the writer will do everything.... I don't know yet.

About the costs, you're right. But I think it will take a very long time. Look at the DVD-9's (Dual Layer). They're still expensive...

#7 JazzyJackie

JazzyJackie

Administrator

• + Senior Editor
  • 59 posts
  • Covers:173

• Rank (last 60 days):
    17th in GameCube

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:34 AM

not like you'd want to print on alot of dvdr's! tongue.gif so its an ok-ish price at the moment. when its colour i'd be REALLYYYYYYYYYYYY intrested

#8 Trebor

Trebor

Man of Wisdom

• 99 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in GameCube

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(Princess @ Oct 7 2005, 07:34 AM)
not like you'd want to print on alot of dvdr's! tongue.gif so its an ok-ish price at the moment. when its colour i'd be REALLYYYYYYYYYYYY intrested

View Post

Yeah, can imagine that.. But I can't imagine it will happen soon... And the discs will be really expensive.

#9 jagjockey

jagjockey

Advanced Member

• 99 posts
  • Interests:computers. Aviation. flight simulation
  • Covers:2

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:57 PM

I bought an HP Lightscribe recorder. I think the finished disk looks good, but not sure if it is any better than an ordinary printed disk.

But...the HP gives a burnt disk with less errors on it than my Pioneer 108, 107 or 105.

#10 Trebor

Trebor

Man of Wisdom

• 99 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in GameCube

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE(jagjockey @ Oct 11 2005, 10:57 PM)
I bought an HP Lightscribe recorder.  I think the finished disk looks good, but not sure if it is any better than an ordinary printed disk.

But...the HP gives a burnt disk with less errors on it than my Pioneer 108, 107 or 105.

View Post

Well, it's not in color so an ordinary print-disc should look better because of the colors. But it looks cool too... it just look real tongue.gif

Trebor

#11 jagjockey

jagjockey

Advanced Member

• 99 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:13 PM

The main downside is the amount of time it takes to burn a picture. If you select Best quality, it gives a darker picture and so looks better.

Can't wait for Blu-ray or HD smile.gif

#12 Trebor

Trebor

Man of Wisdom

• 99 posts

• Rank (last 60 days):
    2nd in GameCube

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:49 PM

Yeah a friend of mine got a LS writer. He also told me that it took some time burning the image at the disc. But if its just for own use, why not. It looks cool and its not that way more expensive that its not affordable smile.gif

#13 jagjockey

jagjockey

Advanced Member

• 99 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:50 PM

Damn things are so cheap. I think the disks are about 60p. Got the writer for 10. A mate was bored waiting for the disks to print. His loos is my gain.

He does run a business though.

I read Blu-ray could go up to 200GB capacity, on multilayer....NICE !!!

#14 homer

homer

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Covers:5

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:00 PM

I already bought a LS DVD (BenQ DW1625) and I was very excited about this technology before buying. That's the good part. The quality of printed DVD's wasn't so good as I expected and the time of burning the label it's about 20...30 minutes which is pretty long. However, seems this technology will evolve soon to color labels. I think the quality will be much better then. Anyhow, the blanks are quite hard to find and they are not cheap. The ones I bought (Imation) I ordered from USA because in my country was impossible to find.

#15 adam

adam

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

Just got one HP Lightscribe, and the results are amazing, Can't wait til the coloured discs come out next year !!!! clap.gif

#16 kingy

kingy

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:53 PM

PcWorld do philips printable dics 15.00 for a spindle didnt see how many 25 maybe? not to expensive

#17 mickyb

mickyb

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

some printable discs can be as low as 7.50

#18 pcdjtricky

pcdjtricky

Rookie

• 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:28 AM

I'm happy enough with printable discs at the moment

#19 saugmon

saugmon

Rookie

• 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:32 AM

I've got the HP640c lightscribe,came bundled with my pc and it's a total pc of crap. It's ok for watching it's backups on the pc using windvd6 gold,but stand alones have a heck of a time recognizing them. Try to re-rip them for an extra copy was impossible with all the read errors on them.I don't even know if those hp backups can be booktyped.
That drive only lasted about a dozen burns. The compatability of all 3 of my benqs was way superior. Booktyping is a must for me.

Anyone getting the lightscribe,try the benq 1625 or the lacie lightscribes.I believe the 640e is a rebadged benq 1625,so check on that one.

My dad also got the same pc that I got. I picked up a 10 pack of dvd+r lightscribe to try in his 640c. Only $7.99 at best buy. I don't know if that is high,but cheaper than most places I looked at. I may try burning them with my benq 1640 and then take them over to try the lightscribe feature.

I am very happy with my full hub ink jet printables that come off my Epson r-200. Another reason why lightscribe feature is no biggie for me.

Happy Holidays!

#20 Bruner

Bruner

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

I bought yesterday a writer with labelflash technology, a newer version of lightscribe... It looks great & it works perfect