18 replies to this topic

#1 hkmp5

hkmp5

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 2 posts
  • Covers:6

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

I have a memorex dual layer dvd burner and I'm useing dvd shrink with nero which will do the 4.7's and the 9.4's...it burns the discs I'm useing are maxell or memorex, it burns just fine but when I go to watch it it pauses and sometimes there digital break up...any ideas on how I can fix this?? I have two dvd players that are the middle of the line toshisha and one 5 disc samsung....

#2 Outlaw

Outlaw

>Top Quality Canon Scans<

• Gold Member
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Not necessarily in this order…<br />Hiking, Custom home &amp; auto stereo/video installations, Birds, Fireworks, Collecting Speed Racer memorabilia, Cars, Watching movies at home.
  • Covers:768

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(hkmp5 @ Feb 11 2006, 07:04 AM)
I have a memorex dual layer dvd burner and I'm useing dvd shrink with nero which will do the 4.7's and the 9.4's...it burns the discs I'm useing are maxell or memorex, it burns just fine but when I go to watch it it pauses and sometimes there digital break up...any ideas on how I can fix this?? I have two dvd players  that are the middle of the line toshisha and one 5 disc samsung....

View Post

First thing I'd do is make sure you have the latest drivers for your Memorex burner. (download if available)
Try a lower recording speed too, I burn mine at "4X" after finding a few that had probs w/8X speed. Only takes 15 minutes now instead of 9-10. Most were ok at 8 but some did what you describe, almost always near the end. Didn't suspect any problems 'till watching said discs.
Have you made any good DVD's or did all do this?
user posted image

#3 forkndave

forkndave

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 10 posts
  • Covers:277

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:26 AM

You might also limit the size to 4300 MB. That works pretty good for me. I don't like to burn right up to the edge of the disc.

Dave

#4 hkmp5

hkmp5

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 2 posts
  • Covers:6

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Outlaw @ Feb 11 2006, 07:24 AM)
First thing I'd do is make sure you have the latest drivers for your Memorex burner.  (download if available)
Try a lower recording speed too, I burn mine at "4X" after finding a few that had probs w/8X speed.  Only takes 15 minutes now instead of 9-10.  Most were ok at 8 but some did what you describe, almost always near the end.  Didn't suspect any problems 'till watching said discs.
Have you made any good DVD's or did all do this?

View Post

Yes some play o.k....I burned world of the worlds on a maxell 9.4 disc and the same thing happen it pauses and gets digital break up..have you ever tried dvd shrink? everytime it asks for a 9.4 instead of a regular 4.7...

#5 Outlaw

Outlaw

>Top Quality Canon Scans<

• Gold Member
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Not necessarily in this order…<br />Hiking, Custom home &amp; auto stereo/video installations, Birds, Fireworks, Collecting Speed Racer memorabilia, Cars, Watching movies at home.
  • Covers:768

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(hkmp5 @ Feb 12 2006, 07:31 AM)
Yes some play o.k....I burned world of the worlds on a maxell 9.4 disc and the same thing happen it pauses and gets digital break up..have you ever tried dvd shrink? everytime it asks for a 9.4 instead of a regular 4.7...

View Post

Yes, I use shrink w/dvd decrypter & anydvd running in the background...
I've yet to try a dual layer DVD, my burner is capable, but I'm hearing too many problems with 'em still. I have not looked much, but it also seems DL discs with a printable surface are hard to find. Usually the "extras" are not that important to me and I'll reauthor w/just the movie. I've used compression set at "65%" without noticing much or any drop in picture quality.
With DVDshrink, click on edit, then preferences and you will be able to set it for the 4.7 gig discs...
user posted image

#6 electroken

electroken

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 2 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

Generally I would say that it is not a good idea to try burning at more than 4x at the time being. First of all I don't really trust the quality of the blank disks to really be capable of the speed they proclaim which may only work with some recorders and only with some of the newer standalone players.
My friend burns at 2x as he has found problems with many of the players if he burns at a faster speed. I think it has a lot to do with the strength of the laser being used for the burn in the dvd recorder.
I was using a NEC 2500A burner and read something on the internet about being able to use it as a dual layer. It looked interesting, but an engineer for NEC posted that although you could install the firmware and update the drive, the laser was not powerful enough to use for a dual layer disk. This also appears to be a problem with some drives which were produced and sold as dual layer.
As an engineer myself, I speculate that when you burn at a higher speed the laser is still at the same power level and therefore your burn will not be as much. When I look at the burn on a disk at 4x and one done at 16x I tend to notice that it doesn's seem to be as much of a burn. I notice this more with cd's, but there does seem to be some difference in how the burn looks to the naked eye with dvd's also.
This coupled with the variation in brands of media can cause a lot of problems in my opinion. I would rather take a bit longer to burn than to have issues with watching my videos on older players, etc.

#7 birchy65

birchy65

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

i was having problems with burning and it seemed to stop as soon as i started burning onto different discs i just think my player doesnt really like me think it is defo personal anyway i switched to TDK about yr and a half ago and all the probs stopped i was told they are one of the best discs to use as well as maxwell and one other which at the time i could not find. olthough you said you had probs with maxwell so my advice chances are is rubbish to you

#8 alexx57

alexx57

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:00 PM

electroken has the point!!
personaly IŽve tried couple of burners including NEC 2500A it is always the same story - be patient (who cares about 10 minutes?) and youŽll get the result. If youŽre in a hurry - youŽll get some toasters.
Nowadays Im using Plextor but NEVER went higher than 6.

The second question are brands of media. Some of them are good some of them crap (no matter what name are on!!).

#9 JJ990

JJ990

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:36 AM

I burn my movies using DVD shrink at (4x), I avoid using printable disc, normally use a silver DVD named MOVIE +r 4.7 they work very well and the other I use is MIRROR PLATINUM DVD +r 4.7 (quite hard to get hold of these) but very good.

It is a pain to get right but a lot of the time it is the actual DVD player itself, some only play + discs and some only play - discs, but some play both, maybe have a look at your player and see what it says.

Hope this helps. thumbup.gif

#10 gibbo247

gibbo247

Bender's drinking buddy

• Elite Member
  • 2,604 posts
  • Covers:100

• Rank (last 60 days):
    16th in Playstation 3

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

I know that sometimes that when you play a dual layer disc there is a slight pause or slight skip during the change of layers, perhaps the speed of burning affects this!
It may cause it DVD player to miss read the change trigger.

In the words of Bender "Yep! We're Boned !!! " Futurama the movie "Benders's big score"

ReallyDangerous.jpgThisIsMyHappyFace.jpgWereOutOfIceCream.jpgtag.gif

#11 kr580

kr580

• 34 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

You also have to remember ALOT of DVD players don't like DVD+/-R DL discs in the first place. When the DVD player was made they most likely wern't betting on DL to be widely used.

I have some DL's that work fine on any DVD+/-R DL-compatible PC drives but only 1 out of 5 DVD players we have actually play them right.

I suggest looking for your DVD player at this site and see if others have had a hard time playing certain media.
http://www.videohelp.../dvdplayers.php
user posted image

#12 djbezz

djbezz

Rookie

• 21 posts
  • Covers:23

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:49 PM

Hi. I've been using Nero Recode to shrink and Nero to burn. I use my trusty Plextor PX-712 using Verbatim media burning at 8x and have never had a single coaster. The quality is spot on as well. With regard to the DL discs i've only managed to get DVD+R to work wth the book setting changed. Different DVD players seem to handle them in different ways, i.e jumping an entire chapter at the layer change to pausing for about 5 seconds.

#13 fukifiknow

fukifiknow

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

shuriken.gif I had nothing but problems with memorex brand dual layer discs. Half the discs I bought were defective and wouldn't burn properly which led me to replace my dvd burner. After spending the money on the new burner, I figured out that it was the discs causing my problems. I don't recommend them to anyone.

#14 Impman

Impman

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Too many to mention
  • Covers:25

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:58 PM

I use AnyDVD coupled with CloneDVD2, and find no problems (touch wood)!
Average speed works out at 40 minutes per disc, but the quality can be changed, and you can chose to include or exclude things you don't want.
Save the Cheer Leader Save the World

#15 binaryking

binaryking

• 42 posts
  • Covers:27

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:53 AM

I too have had nothing but trouble with memorex. Blah! Now I use a LiteOn 16x Dualie. I burn verbatim hub printable 16x +r's.

I burn with dvd shrink and nero using anydvd at nothing less than 16x. Maybe one out of 70 has a problem, and it usually isnt encoding related.

user posted image

#16 neerajhifi

neerajhifi

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE(hkmp5 @ Feb 11 2006, 07:34 PM)
I have a memorex dual layer dvd burner and I'm useing dvd shrink with nero which will do the 4.7's and the 9.4's...it burns the discs I'm useing are maxell or memorex, it burns just fine but when I go to watch it it pauses and sometimes there digital break up...any ideas on how I can fix this?? I have two dvd players  that are the middle of the line toshisha and one 5 disc samsung....

View Post

Please use rip it 4 me along with DVD decriptior and DVD shrink. DVD shrink does not remove the dummy sectors and hence you may have problems while watching the ripped DVD. Mentioned below is the link to download the above software. It is free
http://forum.digital...ead.php?t=69412

Regards

Neeraj

#17 FearlessFreap

FearlessFreap

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:37 PM

eek.gif
QUOTE(hkmp5 @ Feb 11 2006, 10:04 AM)

View Post

I GET THOSE PROBS WITH MEMOREX.TRY VERBATIM.GREAT COPIES.

#18 DasReich

DasReich

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

Use quality media, for d/l discs there is only verbatim, nothing else is worth touching if you want quality.
For single layer, use Taiyo Udens
Also use Imgburn to burn and create d/l images.

If you want quality encoding to fit movies onto dvd5, then use Dvdrebuilder, vastly better results than shrink.

Updated firmware is a must for your burner as well.
Not familiar with your burner, but I expect its a repack of someone elses product, a google search will tell you what it is.
Your burner even though it says its a d/l burner, may not be up to the job of burning for movie quality.

Keep your burn speeds down to 8x or lower for single layer and 2.4 for dual layer.
Pioneer, Plextor or NEC is the way to go.

#19 Alecarrdus

Alecarrdus

Hi

• 8 posts
  • Interests:girls

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

thanks for the correct spelling. Chris and Garret, is there any benefit to burning an mpeg file instead of creating and burning a video ts file?