• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zxr

zxr

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

Just bought one of these - needed a new one so go for the best/fastest as you do.

BUT BEWARE ANYONE WHO'S THINKING OF ONE OF THESE

Although its rated to write at up to 18x it is very rare that you will get anything more than 4x.

Put the writer in the machine and tried it with various discs only 2 of 7 types tried wrote at their rated speed. These were datawrite and verbatim

Got in touch with LG through there support section to query if there was a firmware upgrade or anything and told no to this but also told that the problem could be that this writer has a kind of memory built in with recognition for different types of discs and their related write speeds

The bottom line is if the discs you are using aren't in its memory then it will default to 4x regardless.

Not an expensive mistake (£30) but hopefully others can learn from it

#2 musicbuoy

musicbuoy

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 418 posts
  • Covers:164

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:14 PM

Hi zxr

Expense is relative, £30 is a lot to me and no doubt many others.

Thanks for your advice.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried returning the writer because it most certainly doesn’t do what it says on the tin.

Just a thought

It's Nice To Be Nice ............... & It's Free

#3 zxr

zxr

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:46 PM

thats the next step as soon as I get a day off work withoout other things getting in the way

just in case anyones interested this is the reply I got from LGs helpdesk

Thank you for your email Have you changed the brand of disc you are using to burn? The device has an internal memory that holds media codes for various types and brands of discs. If the DVD you are using has a media code that is not in this list it will default to a maximum burn speed of 4x. There are two things that you can try 1. Update the firmware (if you don't have the latest) available from http://gb.lgservice.com or 2. Use a recommended brand of media for the disc type you are using (see owners manual) Best regards, LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

Obviously I haven't changed the type of dis I use as I hadn't used any in it and there isn't any updates and nothing in the owners manual

#4 Budster

Budster

EX Aussie Complaints Dept

• Gold Member
  • 3,051 posts
  • Interests:Trying to stop the Wife and Daughters from KILLING me
  • Covers:3162

• Rank (last 60 days):
    14th in HD-DVD Movie
    6th in Music DVD
    2nd in Other
    4th in PSP
    8th in TV Series

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:03 AM

Am using that burner now, no probs whatso ever.
Burns 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x 16,
I only use Ritek Disks
Posted ImagePosted Image

R.I.P
PJC

#5 zxr

zxr

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

latest reply from customer support is

The model you have is one of the newest LG models and as such there would not be a firmware update available for it yet. Try using the brands that are recommended in the owner's manual and see if that rectifies the problem. If not, then it is possible the drive is faulty. If you have purchased the drive within 28 days, please contact the retailer for an exchange. Otherwise, call our customer services helpline 0870 607 5544. They will let you know how to get the unit serviced.

This coupled with what Budster says - I reckon I have a faulty drive so as soon as I can get it taken back I will and will let you know what happened

#6 finknuckle

finknuckle

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:49 AM

New firmware update now available for GSA H22L (18X) from 1.01 to 1.02 from hxxp://us.lgservice.com/ note replace the xx with tt in the URL.

Was very disapointed with this drive until the update was installed.

Hope this helps

Pensioneron cheers.gif

#7 memoman

memoman

Advanced Member

• 111 posts
  • Covers:32

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:14 AM

i bought the new pioneer dvdr112d which also is able to burn dvds at 18x cost just £24.(oem) not using 16x dvds atm but it would burn some 8xdl+dvdr at full speed which my pioneer dvdr 111d would not (i never burn these at full speed anyhow) i could have got the sony one for £20 oem but i prefer pioneer.
user posted image

#8 klepptoman

klepptoman

Mild Mannered Computer Tech

• 25 posts
  • Covers:137

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE(memoman @ Mar 1 2007, 03:14 PM)
i bought the new pioneer dvdr112d which also is able to burn dvds at 18x cost just £24.(oem) not using 16x dvds  atm but it would burn some 8xdl+dvdr at full speed which my pioneer dvdr 111d would not (i never burn these at full speed anyhow) i could have got the sony one for £20 oem but i prefer pioneer.

View Post

I find it Very fast & reliable also , I use Ritek G05's & have a great success rate & good burning speed! taz.gif

#9 mMm-FALKEN

mMm-FALKEN

Special Operation

• Elite Member
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Design
  • Covers:268

• Rank (last 60 days):
    37th in Music DVD
    2nd in PC Apps
    7th in PC Games

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:59 AM

LG Super Multi DVD/CD 4x 6x 8x 12x 16x, Very Good, I Use It..

5292088488.png

#10 theodore_uk

theodore_uk

Rookie

• 21 posts
  • Covers:2

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

got thru 3 lgs now since jan...dont seem to last me...will go back to pioneer i think :(

#11 mikaelvitor

mikaelvitor

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

:angry: <_<