• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 omgitsali

omgitsali

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:34 PM

to burn my movies onto a 16x dvd off of a 18x dvd burner it takes about 2-3 hours depending on the file size and length of the movie. i would think that it would burn faster. i use nero vision express 3, which was the program that came with the burner and was questioning whether that was why it was burning slow? im new to all this so im still confused on the settings when burning a dvd and all that. is there a better and more user friendly program than nero? any help would be appreciated. thanks

#2 musicbuoy

musicbuoy

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 418 posts
  • Covers:164

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:26 PM

Hiya OMG It's Ali Welcome to FreeCovers, most new members to the site make a post in the "Introduction" section, it lets members know that your here smile.gif

If you are talking about burning homemade movies to DVD then the 2 to 3 hours you mention sounds about right. What you have to remember is that most of that time is taken up by the rendering/encoding of the movie and only a small part of the time will be the actual burning.

If, on the other hand you are talking about burning a downloaded or ripped movie then you are using the wrong software.

If its an AVI type movie then you need to convert it using something like ConvertXToDVD, its easy to use and almost idiot proof, it has to be for me to use it biggrin.gif.

Depending on the specification of your computer, this should take between 1 and 1 hours, my computer does most movies in less than an hour.

ConvertXToDVD will also burn your movie to disc using your installed burning software or you can choose to do this yourself using your own settings.

Either way the actual burning times at 16X should be no more than 15 min.

To help you on your way, click HERE for the ConvertXToDVD on-line manual.

or HERE for AfterDawn's user guide

There are many other converting programs and everybody has their own favourite but at the end of the day its what you feel confident in using.

Now we might of saved you some time, why not put that to good use by contributing to the forum and make the site an even better site.

If you need any more help Just Shout

It's Nice To Be Nice ............... & It's Free

#3 Ikismij

Ikismij

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 11 posts
  • Covers:3

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

A very good explanation
But i have one think to settle (A)
omgitsali if you use nero.
It isnt the wrong software to do it. Actually it's a very good software!

But like musicbuoy said, it can be faster and easier!
I also use ConvertXToDVD and its definetly worth a try!!
Its much faster, and on top of that, it can put subs on the dvd in the same time it converts it to a dvd!
And another nice thing, is that you can set that he will automatically put for example every 5mins a new chapter!

Gr

#4 musicbuoy

musicbuoy

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(Ikismij @ Feb 8 2007, 05:28 PM)

But i have one think to settle (A)
omgitsali if you use nero.
It isnt the wrong software to do it. Actually it's a very good software!

View Post

Hi Ikismij, it is my understanding that Nero's Vision Express is used to capture video to your hard drive in order to create your own video shows and slide-shows etc.

If omgitsali is using it to convert AVI movies then I still say that it's the wrong software to use.

Nero Burning ROM (6 or 7) on the other hand is ideal to burn to disk the converted movie

#5 Ikismij

Ikismij

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 11 posts
  • Covers:3

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

Yeah ok,
there you have got a point,
I use Nero StartSmart so thats all in...
But not anymore for dvd's than covertx come's first...

But what i just wanted to say was. That nero is a good prog....
But for the thing he does he can get much better ones...

Some people think if someone else is negative about the software, the software isnt any good.
So that's what i tried to avoid (A)

Gr

#6 musicbuoy

musicbuoy

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:25 AM

Hiya Ikismij,

I totally agree with you about Nero, I use StartSmart myself and have done since it was first introduced back in the 1X speed days.

I think it was a case of right software, wrong application biggrin.gif

I would never knowingly knock any software, simply for the reasons that you state.

I recommend ConvertXtoDVD, not because I use it but because most people have a very high success rate with it, which in turn does not put people off.

At least in the end we agreed and hopefully helped omgitsali on his way, which is what it is all about.

I missed your Introduction so "Welcome to FreeCovers, It's nice to have you aboard, I once lived in Rotterdam for two years smile.gif "

#7 hibee

hibee

The true hibee on freecovers

• Elite Member
  • 1,783 posts
  • Interests:Downloading & Uploading & making covers
  • Covers:6676

• Rank (last 60 days):
    31st in Music CD
    5th in Playstation 2
    12th in Playstation 3

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:39 AM

It also depends on the quality of the discs you are using.Musicbuoy has given you good advise about your problem.Also try upgrading your nero to nero 7 premium as thats what i use and never had any problems with it.Also if you are copy a disc that has a speed of 18x on to a 16x then it will run at the slower speed.You can also have to look at your burner to see what the max speed is.As if the burner has a speed of a lot less then the burn will only run at that speed no matter what disc you insert in to it.................

#8 omgitsali

omgitsali

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:00 AM

thank you very much for the help. i never converted my dvds to any other type of format besides avi meaning i put it as an avi file onto nero and burnt it as an avi file. i didnt want to mess around with the quality of the movie by changing the file type but i will try it to see how it works out. once again thank you

#9 omgitsali

omgitsali

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

ok well i tried that coverter and it helped the speed alot but it lowers the quality of the video alot as well =\ .. i guess ill just stick to the nero without converting

#10 omgitsali

omgitsali

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:10 AM

nevermind .. it doesnt lower the quality that much actually .. it was just the rip that i got wasnt that great of a quality =\ .. i think ill stick to this program after all .. thank you very much for the help

#11 musicbuoy

musicbuoy

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(omgitsali @ Feb 25 2007, 03:10 AM)
nevermind .. it doesnt lower the quality that much actually .. it was just the rip that i got wasnt that great of a quality =\ .. i think ill stick to this program after all .. thank you very much for the help

View Post

I'm pleased you got there in the end smile.gif