78 replies to this topic

#61 klepptoman

klepptoman

Mild Mannered Computer Tech

• 25 posts
  • Covers:137

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(risin @ Apr 23 2007, 06:32 PM)
I also use Ritek with G05 dye, printable for my DVD-R. Theyre reliable and cheap, i currently pay 13.50 per 100. Would be interested to see what other people pay for these.

View Post

I Pay $15 AUD for 50 shuriken.gif

#62 ___DOUGIE___

___DOUGIE___

Rookie

• 19 posts
  • Covers:64

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:05 AM

I only use Taiyo Yudens DVD-R Watershield ...These discs not cheap but have the least burn failures, straight from the printer there touch dry and the quality of print is sublime no other disc imo comes even close.
user posted image
user posted image

#63 jimmomech8

jimmomech8

jimmomech8

• Gold Member
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retirement. Cabninet Making, Movie Collection, Photography and Graphic Arts
  • Covers:343

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

Just about any DVD or CD will burn just fine at 16X or lower. I have a movie collection of over 1500 movies and have used everything out there. The problem with your cheap DVD's & CD's (such as Ritek) is their shelf life. I have went to copy movies in my collection several times only to find that there is no longer anything to copy or the coating is junk. As of now the only brand I use are Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden Photo finish or premium. So decide if you want cheap and don't care about longevity.

Attached Files

#64 bdygert5150@hotmail.com

bdygert5150@hotmail.com

Rookie

• 27 posts
  • Covers:1

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

I have a collection of about 1200 movies, some copied quite a few years ago. I use a lot of different discs. Memorex & Verbatim mostly, but also Maxell & TDK. I haven't come across any yet that have worn out sitting on the shelf (knock on wood).

#65 sjonnydoo

sjonnydoo

Advanced Member

• Elite Member
  • 268 posts
  • Covers:1076

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:38 AM

I am using the Verbatim-16x certified DVD-r's for a long time now and without any problems.

Sjonnydoo

#66 jphoto

jphoto

Rookie

• 23 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Motorcycling, Photography
  • Covers:786

• Rank (last 60 days):
    4th in Anime DVD

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

I use Verbatim. When I was looking for a good DVD-R I discovered in my research that Verbatim was one of the most reliable brands.

#67 andremj

andremj

Rookie

• Gold Member
  • 2 posts
  • Covers:3

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

I have a collection of about 1500 movies (give or take) and now use Verbatim for DVD +/-R, Philips for DVD+R DL and Merax for BD-R. All of these have printable surfaces and I have had zero problems with them after long periods of storage, ulnike the cheaper Ritek brand. :D

#68 StD

StD

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 317 posts
  • Covers:347

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

I have a collection of about 1500 movies (give or take) and now use Verbatim for DVD +/-R, Philips for DVD+R DL and Merax for BD-R. All of these have printable surfaces and I have had zero problems with them after long periods of storage, ulnike the cheaper Ritek brand. :D

Exactly the opposite with me: Verbatim is trash comparing to all brands of Ricoh (Ritek, Arita, Traxdata and branded under TDK & Kodak DLs) for daily use and backup on Taiyo Yudens. TYs have a little bit poorer performance as per PI/PIF errors. Every piece tested in KProbe2.
Writers used: LGs (various types) and Pioneer.
IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT

#69 Cincyrob

Cincyrob

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • Interests:Sports,computer Building, dvd's, burning,creating,editing,baseball,football,fishing
  • Covers:4

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

wow thats the first time ive ever heard anyone say something bad about TY's. ive never had a issue with them. granted the newer 16x media isnt as good as the 8x media but still in my opinion TY's are by far the cream of the crop.
Verbs use to be 100% reliable up until this last year since they have been manufacturing them in every part of the world with lesser standards than before. it is a crap shoot with them. made in tiwain used the be the best ones for verbs but now there a crap shoot also.

alot has to do with your burner and what it likes the best. i have had some old 16x liteons that wouldnt burn TY's all that good but would burn the verbs like they were golden. but now with all my 24x drives they can burn just about any media with high quality scans afterwards. but you cant take to much from the scans. more eye candy than anything else. its not testing the info that was transfered just the burn quality in itself.

and if anyone is wondering i myself have close to 5000 burns on various drives so i have tried just about every type of media i can get my hands on..lol i ahve found a good drive is the key to a good burn. id say 75% is the drive then 25% the media. just my 2cents.
My Rig "the Big Red Hemi"

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9550 @ 3.83GHZ
OCZ VENDETTA II COOLER
PNY 8800GTS
G-SKILL 2X2GB DDR2 1066
CORSAIR 650HX PSU
WD250GB
WD320GB
WD500GB
WD1TB
OPTARIC AD7220S
OPTARIC AD7240S
LITE-ON IHAS324-A X2

Housed in a HAF922 case with 3 200mm red led fans.

#70 StD

StD

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:16 AM

wow thats the first time ive ever heard anyone say something bad about TY's. ive never had a issue with them...

I have not said anything BAD about TY - I am using them, but in the tests they do have higher number of errors. Following is an example of one of them (comparing DVD-R printable TY G03 dye to Ritek G05 dye, both burned on Pioneer DVR116 writer at 6x). The numbers for PI/PIF errors are MAX / AVERAGE / TOTAL (lower is better):

TY:
PI - 34 / 4.18 / 71018
PIF - 5 / 0.20 / 4236

Ritek:
PI - 17 / 3.44 / 58256
PIF - 3 / 0.06 / 1058

Tested in KProbe2 on LiteOn DH20 writer. I am testing every disc I produce myself so have a good statistics of "quality" inside of every 50piece spindle I buy and this is NOT constant - some are better, some poorer.

Fazit: I DO PREFER Ritek and Taio Yuden dyes for burning. From Verbatim only the ones produced in India are usable sometimes, mainly the HardCoated ones or Archival Grade, Lightscribe brands, which do have good results. But the General Use brand is simply trash. They are "readable" after burning, but the quality (PI/PIF) is poor and the main question is: How long they will remain readable in full?

#71 Cincyrob

Cincyrob

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • Interests:Sports,computer Building, dvd's, burning,creating,editing,baseball,football,fishing

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

ok i see what your saying. those numbers dont look to bad. try burning those TYG03's at 8-12x. they do perform better in think. like i said in my previous post. it does depend on the drive as well. how it gets along with the media.
i had a 16x liteon that would not burn TY's at all.4x 8x or 16x did not like TY's and now my AD7220s burns them but gets crappy scans but my AD7240s eats them up. nothing but awsome scans.(i scan mostly with nero)
here is a scan from nero and then kprobe. they both scanned about the same. which is rare..lol

Posted Image

and here is Kprobe.

Posted Image

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9550 @ 3.83GHZ
OCZ VENDETTA II COOLER
PNY 8800GTS
G-SKILL 2X2GB DDR2 1066
CORSAIR 650HX PSU
WD250GB
WD320GB
WD500GB
WD1TB
OPTARIC AD7220S
OPTARIC AD7240S
LITE-ON IHAS324-A X2

#72 StD

StD

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

...try burning those TYG03's...

You have compared the older dye TY G-02 and me the newer TY G-03. That's like to compare tea and coffee (both have coffeine inside). <_<

#73 Cincyrob

Cincyrob

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

yes i know..lol i am out of TYG03's right now. but from what i have found on the newer drives the TYG03 burn better than the TYG02'sim getting ready to order some 16x+r TY's. comparing meritline and super mediastore now.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9550 @ 3.83GHZ
OCZ VENDETTA II COOLER
PNY 8800GTS
G-SKILL 2X2GB DDR2 1066
CORSAIR 650HX PSU
WD250GB
WD320GB
WD500GB
WD1TB
OPTARIC AD7220S
OPTARIC AD7240S
LITE-ON IHAS324-A X2

#74 Nexus06

Nexus06

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Covers:0

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim for me. (Plextor, Asus and Lite-On drives)

#75 ant247

ant247

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hi quite new to the dvd burning, do you think Verbatim are any good??

I myself have and will always used Virbatim 16x DVD-r and NEVER had any sort of problems.
I just recently got some Virbatim CD-r and they have been very good as well,
I can honestly say I will never buy another brand again (especially Memorex DVD, nothing but bad burns with them)

#76 BigJon

BigJon

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Covers:2

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

Ritek Single Layer DVD-Rs, Verb DVD+R Dual Layer (try and read a cheap dual layer back in a month or so time), Ritek CDRs & Ritek BluRay... That's my findings... :-)

#77 KleinerP

KleinerP

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

Its a zonal ring, if the disc was a good one. If its a low quality disc, then its simply a bad discs. Was the ring symmetrical, or not? Thats the difference between zonal vs damage.

#78 Fogdude

Fogdude

Dudeist Priest

• Gold Member
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Mostly, I like anything that goes bang when I pull the trigger.
  • Covers:568

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

I used Ritek for several years, then, when I pulled some that had been on the shelf for a couple of years, found out even their best dyes just don't hold up. Many, many playable discs. I was able to salvage some by extracting the images on a PC & burning a new disc, but they are useless for playback in a DVD player, which is where I use them. Never had that problem with Taiyo Yuden. That's the only thing I'll use now. In the US, they're sometimes sold, in bulk, as JVC.

I just look at the pictures.

#79 Alecarrdus

Alecarrdus

Hi

• 8 posts
  • Interests:girls

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

c4eva seems confident that the new disc format is defeatable and will be able to fitona dvdr dl