'Withnail & I' cottage photos

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gareth6000

gareth6000

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Buying/renting/borrowing and watching movies.
    Dums/Bass guitar
    Stop motion animation.
  • Covers:249

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:34 AM

I recently went on holiday (not by mistake tongue.gif ), to Cumbria, UK. So I thought I'd try to find the film location for the cottage which was used in the film 'Withnail & I' because this is one of my favorite movies of all time.

In the film it is called 'Crow Cragg', and is also known as 'Uncle Montys cottage in the country'.
The real name of the cottage, however, is Sleddale Hall, and it is located near Wet Sleddale Reservoir, not far from the village of Shap in Cumbria, UK.
It dates from around 1800, and as you will see it is, sadly, in even worse condition now than when it was filmed in 1986.
I have included some screenshots of similar views from the film for comparison.

user posted image
user posted image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

user posted image
user posted image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

#2 gareth6000

gareth6000

Advanced Member

• Gold Member
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Buying/renting/borrowing and watching movies.
    Dums/Bass guitar
    Stop motion animation.
  • Covers:249

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:37 AM

Here are some more, this first one is the bridge where Withnail attempts to go fishing with a shotgun. This bridge is about half a mile from the cottage.

user posted image
user posted image

This is the telephone box where Withnail calls his agent, it is situated in a village called Bampton, A few miles from Shap.
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.